How to Rock the Perfect LinkedIn Profile
Embed Size (px)
Singer-songwriter Matt Henshaw used his profile to launch a career comeback. He proves no matter what your dream - it’s all about how you put yourself out there. What’s your dream? Picture yourself where you want to be and let LinkedIn help you get there.
Transcript of How to Rock the Perfect LinkedIn Profile
- Hello, Im Matt Henshaw I launched a successful career comeback
- Whatever you want to do Ive got some advice that will help get you there.
- Heres my story
- This was my band CENSORED It all started as a bit of teenage fun.
- A local gig here and there, A few lads from Nottingham, messing about.
- SOMEHOW we landed ourselves a record deal.
- Less than a year on we were in the NME and playing Reading and Leeds. I couldnt believe it
- I didnt even have time to collect my A-Level results PRETTY rock n roll EH?
- We were supporting our heroes like Ocean Colour Scene and Supergrass
- I never really thought about the future. Dont get me wrong, I was passionate
- But I was having a great time making music. I thought we were SET for LIFE
- Anyway it was 2008. BBC Radio 1 were set to play our latest track. WHAT COULD POSSIBILY GO WRONG?
- Thenit slowly started to unravel
- We organised a completely CRAZY line-up of back-back gigs.
- Without any real guidance, wed spread ourselves too thin.
- St. Georges Day 2009 It finally caught up with me.
- We were playing to a sold out crowd. I only lasted 3 SONGS I was burnt out.
- We had to break for about 2 months. We cancelled all of our festivals.
- Wed suddenly lost our momentum. we had to CALL IT A DAY
- I was in touching distance of my dream career. SUDDENLY it was gone.
- I took some time off. I remember my Mum asking me WHAT DO YOU WANT FROM LIFE?
- In truth I really just wanted to learn again.
- I decided to go to university I did an MRes in Film and Television
- I wasnt going out that much, more gardening, staying in and drinking tea. Not so ROCK n ROLL
- I felt older and mature for the first time ever. It was a chance to get on with life.
- I found a job as a COMPUTER SCIENCE SUSTAINABILITY RESEARCH ASSISTANT Try saying that with a mouthful
- But something was missing I couldnt put my finger on it
- Then in 2012 I went to watch some gigs. Watching people on stage
- Something clicked inside me. IM ONE OF THESE PEOPLE Im a Musician
- I realised the job I was doing wasnt my dream
- After so many years away, music was calling my name again
- WAIT It hadnt exactly gone to plan last time
- This time it was different ID GROWN UP.
- My first experience had awakened me to see things in a whole new way.
- The musical landscaped had changed a lot since 2008
- So many social networks, promotional tools I had to be SMARTER this time.
- Think matt, THINK.
- I remembered LinkedIn from training sessions I had done at work
- I logged back on THOUGHT If this works for office stuff, why cant it work for music?
- I checked out other peoples profiles and then used the interactive guide to update my own one. type type type type
- I realised how easy it was to tailor it to music to showcase my skills.
- I wanted to get across my passion and most of allmy personality
- Funnily enough most of my endorsements were already for signing and songwriting.
- When I updated my profile more and more endorsements started coming in from people I already knew. It was a massive CONFIDENCE BOOST
- Keeping my profile UP TO DATE was a sure-fire way of making sure people took me seriously and saw me as a professional. Not just another lad with a guitar.
- I did a search Amazingly I found loads of relevant people JOURNALISTS AGENTS PR MARKETING
- Then one day I got the message youve got a new connection
- That one connection opened up a whole new range of people Triggered a fresh network of possibilities.
- What was most amazing was that instead of sending out speculative messages to find opportunities
- suddenly, opportunities were coming to me! My profile was like a MAGNET and all because Id added a bit more detail.
- Just adding a bit more about yourself in the summary and adding a profile picture makes it much easier for people to find you.
- It turns out if you have a complete profile, youre 40 times more likely to receive opportunities.
- And it meant people contacted me with relevant and meaningful jobs in mind
- Be it a gig or festival or just helping put stuff together in the recording studio.
- ITS WORKING!
- SUDDENLY Ive got a gig coming up at the Roundhouse Camden and a slot at the Elevator Music Festival
- Its my very own COMEBACK tour if you like all off my own back.
- At which point, youre probably thinking
- Good for him But you might not want to be a musciain...
- Thats not really the point. The point is that I recovered from being down and out!
- Ive become the MASTER of my own career
- I went from knowing what I wanted to GETTING what I wanted
- Whether youre a musician a lawyer, a scientist or an accountantyou can always DO BETTER
- Follow what youre passionate about. WORK AS HARD as you can GET THERE
- You see, LinkedIn isnt just for business people. Its for anyone with AMBITION
- If I can do it, then you wont have a PROBLEM
- Im a better musician NOW than I ever was
- LinkedIn played its part for me and it can FOR YOU
- LinkedIn Whats your dream Update you profile http://linkd.in/1izYjjr