6 Templates to Identify Your Top Consumer Personas
Embed Size (px)
Marketing to digitally connected consumers mandates the ability to understand and segment your audience based on a number of influential, actionable and behavioral attributes. To help you get started, we’ve mapped out the defining characteristics of 6 key audience segments, and the data points you need to effectively identify and reach top performing consumer personas in ways.
Transcript of 6 Templates to Identify Your Top Consumer Personas
- SIX TEMPLATES Brought to you by TO HELP YOU IDENTIFY AND ACTIVATE TODAYS KEY CONSUMER SEGMENTS
- GIGYA.COM | SEGMENTING MODERN CONSUMERS In the 1950s, leading brands began to bucket their audiences based on demographic insights collected via publicly available sources like surveys and census data. Basic personas like moms and teens were developed using information like age, gender and household income in attempt to reach consumers with more relevant and timely marketing. Today, as modern consumers share real-time insight into their relationships, hobbies and interests across social and mobile channels, they are defying consumer stereotypes and demanding personalized experiences. In todays big data landscape, audience segmentation requires a totally new set of tools, technology and strategies. 2
- GIGYA.COM | 3 3 KEYS TO SEGMENTATION Marketing to connected consumers requires a lot more information than age and gender. Leading brands are developing strategies to understand and segment their audiences based on a number of influential, actionable and behavioral attributes. To do this successfully, your business will need to leverage the 3 As of Audience Segmentation: 1. Access to Consumer Identity 2. Aggregate Cross-channel Data 3. Actionable Insights
- GIGYA.COM | After the demographic-restricted days of the 1950s and before consumers sent over 100K tweets per minute (Domo), brands often relied on mass third-party data to fill in the gaps and more effectively reach their audience at large. But with the rise of big data, theres hardly need for modern marketers to make educated assumptions about customers. Today, innovative brands are placing increasing emphasis on collecting and analyzing their own first-party login data to gain a more current, accurate and identity-centric view of consumers. 4 ACCESS TO CONSUMER IDENTITY By giving users the option to login using their existing social identities, brands can gain permission-based access to the insights housed in their social profiles, including their locations, relationships, hobbies, media preferences and more.
- GIGYA.COM | 5 AGGREGATE CROSS-CHANNEL DATA Most 3rd party data collection techniques, like cookies, track consumers as they move across the Internet on a given device - an obsolete strategy in a world where 67% of online shoppers admit to having recently made a purchase involving multiple channels (Zendesk). To truly understand consumers, businesses must ditch siloed data management in favor of a centralized database that offers a single view of identity and activity across channels. This database must be able to handle traditional data like name and email address, as well as the surge of unstructured data, such as interests and media preferences.
- GIGYA.COM | 6 ACTIONABLE INSIGHTS A clear picture of consumer identity is useless without the ability to tie these insights to your bottom line. Connect social and behavioral data to traditional KPIs like revenue, time spent and repeat conversions to gain a deeper understanding of how your customers are impacting your business. Most importantly, you can take action on these insights by developing user experiences that drive more meaningful interactions and valuable behaviors.
- GIGYA.COM | 7 6 KEY SEGMENT TEMPLATES To help you get started, weve mapped out the defining characteristics of 6 key audience segments, and the data points you need to effectively identify and activate these consumers in relevant and meaningful ways: With actionable insight into cross-channel consumer identity, you can start segmenting your audience on a highly strategic and impactful level.
- GIGYA.COM | 9 DEFINING CHARACTERISTICS Think of influencers as the prom kings and queens of consumers. Consumers that fall into this segment have a natural ability to connect with and influence the decisions of others, and are extremely outspoken about their opinions. Whether they savored that delicious steak or were offended by the waiter, everyone will know about it - and follow suit. WHY THIS SEGMENT MATTERS 90% of consumers admit that their purchase decisions are influenced by consumer ratings and reviews ()MarketingLand) KEY OPPORTUNITIES The ability to recognize influencers opens the door to maximizing their social reach and impact on behalf of your brand, effectively turning them into brand ambassadors. But beware: these trendsetters move on to the next thing quickly, and often require some incentive to stick around. Heres an interactive template of the data points you should collect to identify and activate your Influencers.
- GIGYA.COM | DATA POINTS TO COLLECT WHAT TO EXPECT YOUR FINDINGS Number of Social Connections A large numbers of friends and followers across networks Social Shares Frequent shares to multiple networks Referrals A high volume of referred traffic iRank Score Ranks customer influence according to those who drive the most engagement across your site Top ranking among customer base Reviewed Purchases High quantity and quality of reviews Up-Voted Reviews A high number of up-votes per posted review Reactions Allow consumers to give feedback with the click of a custom button Frequent reactions to content and products DATA POINTS TO COLLECT WHAT TO DO YOUR FINDINGS Friends and Followers Maximize influencers community visibility and impact by enabling connectivity with their individual social circles directly from your site. Interests Recommend content and products that are inline with influencers expressed interests for tailored and streamlined experiences that influencers love. Previous Purchases Drive brand loyalty by sending thank you notes and exclusive discounts for items inline with past buys. SEGMENTATIONTEMPLATE|INFLUENCERS IDENTIFYACTIVATE
- GIGYA.COM | INFLUENCERS SUCCESS STORY 11 24 Hour Fitness is a great example of a brand that has successfully identified and activated its influencers. To foster member loyalty while increasing new fitness club sign-ups, 24 Hour Fitness created an online referral program that allows members to share free 3-day gym passes with their social networks. As customers refer their friends socially, 24 Hour Fitness uses Gigyas iRank influencer reporting to rank its top referrers by number of friends, number of shares, volume of referral traffic, and activity frequency and timing. After discovering its top influencers, 24 Hour Fitness rewards these high-value customers with a tailored thank you package. By turning influencers into highly valuable, long-term brand ambassadors, 24 Hour Fitness has driven over 331K direct contact referrals, worth over $3 million in online media, in just 3 months.
- BRAND LOYALISTS
- GIGYA.COM | 13 DEFINING CHARACTERISTICS Perhaps the most valuable customer segment of all, brand loyalists exhibit a deep, often emotional connection to your brand. They are in it for the long haul, choosing your brand time and again, even over newer or less expensive options. WHY THIS SEGMENT MATTERS Repeat shoppers represent just 8% of all site visitors, but account for 40% of total online sales. (PracticalEcommerce) KEY OPPORTUNITIES Recognize and foster long-term brand loyalty by rewarding this segment for its dedication. While loyalists can be highly engaged in brand communities, they are not necessarily the most vocal. However, loyalists make the best advocates if you know how to spot and nurture their potential.
- GIGYA.COM | DATA POINTS TO COLLECT WHAT TO EXPECT YOUR FINDINGS Purchase History A long list of purchases over time Average Transaction Value Large cart sizes Purchase Frequency A series of recurring purchases Quantity/Quality of User-Generated Content Active, valuable participation in your brand community DATA POINTS TO COLLECT WHAT TO DO YOUR FINDINGS iRank Score Loyalists with a high iRank score can be nurtured as brand advocates, and given incentive to drive awareness and referral traffic for your brand. Interests Build lifetime value by recommending content and products relevant to loyalists favorite brands, sports and more. Favorited Items Tailor recommendations and offers toward items and content your loyalists have actively expressed interest in to show that you value their relationship and are paying attention. SEGMENTATIONTEMPLATE|BRANDLOYALISTS IDENTIFYACTIVATE
- SERIAL ABANDONERS
- GIGYA.COM | 16 DEFINING CHARACTERISTICS It happens even to the best of brands: potential customers show up to your site, fill their carts to the brim and POOF - theyre gone. Serial abandoners are notorious for sharing items and adding them to their wish lists, but never following through and completing checkout. TIPS TO REDUCE ABANDONMENT Request only necessary information at login and checkout Give users the option to register via payment providers like Amazon and PayPal, which can pre-populate mandatory checkout fields with existing data Leverage progressive profiling, which allows you to capture additional data over time via interactions like s