College Nuts & Bolts
Embed Size (px)
Transcript of College Nuts & Bolts
College Nuts & BoltsJunior History Class PresentationMarch 5, 2014
• Meet the College Office Staff• Senior COSA, Mr. Torres • Graduation Requirements• Naviance!• Considering all of the factors• Oversaturation- Yabba, Dabba Doo!• Project Your College Costs/Scholarships• Testing (SAT, ACT, Subject Tests)• Counselor Questionnaire & Teacher Rec. Letters• Upcoming College Office Events- BE THERE!
• Ms. Balsamo, College Advisor
• Ms. Iacono, College Advisor
• Mr. Stevens, Financial Aid Advisor
• Ms. Bove, Secretary
Meet Your SENIOR COSA
Mr. M. Torres, Senior AdvisorEmail: [email protected]
Office: 7C1 Tel: 718-804-6473
Senior Year Expenses- The following breakdown is an ESTIMATE of senior expenses based off of the class of 2014. The pricing for the class of 2015 will likely be different.
Senior Dues for Class of 2014
School Trips & Events
Total Expenditure of Funds: $1,900±
Package A: $250 Package B: $150Yearbook w/ NameplateClass of 2014 ToteClass of 2014 Hot/Cold Tumbler MugClass of 2014 PenGraduation Cap, Gown, StolesDiploma CaseGraduation CeremoniesSenior T-Shirt w/MajorRelated Expenses
Graduation Cap, Gown, StolesDiploma CaseSenior PlannerGraduation CeremoniesRelated Expenses
Masquerade Ball Winter Trip Spring Trip Prom
$60-$80 $300-$400 $800-$1,000+ $175-$200
SENIOR YEAR IS AWESOME!
ExamsSpending Money for tripsCollege ApplicationsProm Expenses (Ex. Limo, Dress, Tuxedo, etc.)
Other Senior Year Expenses:
Graduation Requirements: Regents Diploma Regents w/ Honors Advanced Regents Advanced w/ Honors
65 or above onEnglish
Global HistoryUS History
Regents Diploma +90 Average on required
Regents Diploma Requirements +
One Additional Science for a Total of Two
(2 must include Living Environment and 1 Physical
Two Additional Mathematics for a total of Three
(Integrated Algebra, Geometry and Trigonometry)
Advanced Regents Diploma +90 Average on Required
Brooklyn Tech (Major) Diploma & CTE DIPLOMAAdvanced Regents Diploma Requirements + Additional Physical Science
(Must pass Chemistry AND Physics Regents)
Pass all classes in major 50 hours of external community service 32 points earned through participation in Tech clubs, teams, and/or special events Must pass DDP, Digital Electronics, Chemistry and Physics
Career & Technical Endorsement Diploma
Currently NYSED and NYCDOE approved Career and Technical Education (CTE) Majors: - Aerospace- Architecture- Civil Engineering- Electrical Engineering- Mechanical Engineering- Media- Industrial Design- College Prep
Requirements: Successful completion of all Major Classes (including DDP and DE)Passing grade obtained on five required Regents ExamsPassing grade on CTE technical assessmentSuccessful completion of online Career and Financial Management (CFM) courses
Own the Process!
College Office Services
Level 1: Processing Applications & Scholarships
Level 2: Information Sharing
Level 3: Advising- Building a Relationship! (With your College Advisor & Guidance Counselor)
• What is Naviance?
• What role will Naviance play in my college process?
• How do I get my username and password?
• Create a professional email address DEDICATED to the college process. And register this email address to your Naviance account.
What is Oversaturation???
What is Oversaturation?
SUNY New Paltz
Lafayette College(POSSE School)
Reach, Target & Likely: Each Applicant is UNIQUE!
Considering all of the factors….Think of your COLLEGE LIST as a RESEARCH
PAPER Due in Mid November!
Things to consider….• LOCATION • MAJOR• Sororities & Fraternities• Sports Teams• Parental Input• First Generation going to
• Financial Aid Policy • Merit Aid? • Meet Full Demonstrated
• Scholarships• Study Abroad Programs• Internships Opportunities• Co-Op Program
DO YOUR RESEARCH!
Other Things to Consider…• Special Programs• HEOP/EOP/SEEK & College Discovery• Honors & Scholars Programs at the University• Institutional Scholarship Opportunities • Supplemental Applications• Priority Deadlines
Example: SUNY Stony Brook, University of Buffalo, Hunter
What are Colleges Looking For? Progress Over Time:• Transcript
• Did you Challenge Yourself in HS??
• Extracurricular Activities
Senior year Projects: • Personal Statement
• October SAT or ACT
SAT Subject Test: -To be taken in June upon completion of corresponding AP course OR upon advice of your Subject Teacher! - Many colleges require at least 2 of these Subject Exams! Research!
SAT I• Aptitude Test- “Supposedly”
measures your capacity to learn.
• Remains important to colleges as an objective predictor of college success.
• Do not dismiss the Writing Section! • www.collegeboard.com
ACT• Content based examination.
• Essay is optional but DO IT!!!!
• Equally valued by colleges as SAT.
• Includes: Math, Science, Reading & Writing
College Office/Counselor Questionnaire & Teacher Recommendation LettersClass of 2015 College Process Intake Questionnaire: (Access through Naviance)- DUE MARCH 10th !!!!!
Teacher Rec Letters: How many Teacher Recs do I need?
Who should I ask?
What should I provide my Teacher with to help them write the best possible letter about me!?
How do these get sent to colleges?
Project Your College Costs!• Learn your “Expected Family Contribution”• Get your hands on your 2011 tax returns• Complete the “FAFSA 4caster”
• Visit the financial aid website of your top choice colleges and complete the “net price calculator” or “cost of attendance” calculator to find out, roughly, what it will cost to attend that school.
Scholarship Search:Now is the Time!• Start with www.bths.edu website under “College Office”
link & “Scholarships/Financial Aid” (Click on link for Fall Term Scholarships)
• Check your Naviance email monthly for updates from Mr. Stevens
• Open your Naviance account, select “Scholarship Match”• Investigate scholarships with fall semester deadlines first• Set up an account at www.zinch.com
Alternative Postsecondary Options
If you would like to discuss alternatives to college, please come and make an appointment with your College Advisor. We would be happy to help you!
Upcoming College Office Events…continued
QUESTBRIDGE COLLEGE PREP SCHOLARSHIP/NYC QUEST for EXCELLENCE Junior Meeting
Room 4W6 at 3:20pm TODAY!
Tuesday, March 11th: Colleges w/ Joint Programs PanelTuesday, April 9th: Colleges w/ Architecture, Design & MediaTuesday, April 16th: Women’s Colleges Panel
BTHS ANNUAL COLLEGE FAIRJoin us in the Cafeteria for the BTHS Annual College Fair in April! Representatives from over 125 schools will be present to speak with students and parents about special programs and services at their school. All students are welcome to attend! Date: Thursday, April 3rd , Time: 5:30pm - 8:30pm, Location: BTHS Cafeteria
WE HOPE TO SEE YOU AT ALL EVENTS & IN THE COLLEGE OFFICE, Room 7S5!