Embed Size (px)
Transcript of Geek Fitness
- 1. Geek Fitness Your body is not just transportation for your brain What is fitness? Diet and why it matters Sitting, standing, walking Strength, endurance, flexibility Sleep 10 habits you need to adopt
- 2. Says Who? Kurt Sussman @neophiliac [email_address]
- 3. Failures and Successes Failures
- AC separation
- 4. Stretched ligament
- 5. Torn ligaments inside both shoulders
- 6. Destroyed 1 stmetatarsal joint
- 7. Countless broken toes
- 8. RSI and 'laptop back'
- 9. Weight: 190 in Feb 2009
- DL: 2x, Squat: 1.5x, Bench: 1x
- 10. Weight: 1703 for over 2 years
- 11. Cut my chiropractor visits from 2/month to 2/year
- 12. I can still carry my daughter (almost 12)
- 13. Born in 1961, and I'm still going
- 14. Fitness fitness (ft'ns) n.
- The state or condition of being physically sound and healthy, especially as the result of exercise and proper nutrition.
- 15. A state of general mental and physical well-being.
- 16. The state of being suitably adapted to an environment.
- 17. What's the point?
- 18. Diet is not a verb
- 19. Your Mama Didn't Lie: You Are a Unique Snowflake
- Nutrition science describes populations
- 20. You are not a population
- 21. Use the results of studies as a starting point
- 22. Every snowflake needs water Please drink some now.
- 23. Science, y'all!
- 24. Politics vs. Science The good guys donotwin in the end
- 25. Calories are a distraction Insulin production is abetter metric
- 26. Glycemic Index Food GI Table sugar 70 White bread 85 White rice 70 Brown rice 50 Carrots 85 (cooked) 30 (raw) Watermelon 75 Cherries 25
- 27. Posture
- 28. Learn to stand up straight
- 29. Your vertebrae:
- 30. Exercise Strength Endurance Flexibility
- 31. Bulk vs. Strength
- 32. 4 Basic Lifts
- 33. Plus the one geeks need most:
- Thebarbell rowsupports your upper back, neck, and shoulders.
- 34. Stand up straight!
- 35. Don't slouch!
- 36. Exercise Break
- 37. Cardio
- 38. Flexibility
- 39. Sleep Inbox Zero for your brain Dreams increase learning More deep sleep == more leptin
- 40. 10 Habits
- Drink water when you wake up
- 41. Warm up, exercise, THEN stretch
- 42. Pay attention to your food habits
- 43. Eat more low glycemic index foods
- 44. Exercise regularly (at least 3x/week)
- Skip the carbs, not the fatty foods
- 45. Drink water every hour or so
- 46. Breath deeply and intentionally
- 47. Seek out the stairs, the hills, the longer walking route
- 48. Drink water before you go to bed
- 49. Links and stuff Diet http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Good_Calories,_Bad_Calories http://www.montignac.com/en/ig_tableau.php http://paleoplan.com Posture http://nuchiro.wordpress.com/2011/03/05/what-your-pelvis-may-be-telling-you/ http://blog.amirkhella.com/2011/04/18/the-status-game/ Exercise http://stronglifts.com/stronglifts-5x5-beginner-strength-training-program/ http://www.mensjournal.com/everything-you-know-about-fitness-is-a-lie Sleep http://www.livescience.com/9874-naps-dreams-boost-learning-study-finds.html http://www.livescience.com/13125-sleep-naps-boost-memory.html http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/31/health/31brody.html Thanks Steve Fittinger, CPT, semi-pro football player, powerlifter (for reviewing these slides and notes for accuracy)