The 10 Commandments Mem Fox’s Ten Read Aloud Commandments.
Embed Size (px)
Transcript of The 10 Commandments Mem Fox’s Ten Read Aloud Commandments.
The 10 Commandments
Mem Foxs Ten Read Aloud Commandments
1. Read 10 minutes every day.Spend at least 10 wildly happy minutes every single day reading aloud.
2. Read at least 3 stories a day.It may be the same story three times. Children need to hear a thousand stories before they can begin to learn to read.
Research says 3 nonfiction books for every fiction book.
3. Read aloud with animation.Listen to your own voice and dont be dull, or flat, or boring. Hang loose and be loud, have fun and laugh a lot.
4. Read with joy and enjoyment.Real enjoyment for yourself and great joy for the listeners.
5. Read the stories that kids love.Read the favourites over and over and over again, and always read in the same tune for each book: i.e. with the same intonations on each page, each time.
6. Let children hear lots of language.Talk to them constantly about the pictures, or anything else connected to the book; or sing any old song that you can remember; or say nursery rhymes in a bouncy way; or be noisy together doing clapping games.
7. Look for rhyme in books.Rhythm or repetition in books for young children, and make sure the books are really short.
8. Play gameswith the things that you and the child can see on the page, such as letting kids finish rhymes, and finding the letters that start the childs name and yours, remembering that its never work, its always a fabulous game.
9. Never ever teach reading, or get tense around books.
10. Please read aloud every day!Moms and dads, because you just love being with your child, not because its the right thing to do.
Who is Mem Fox? Mem Fox lives in Australia with her husband and two dogs. She spends most of her time writing presentations urging parents, teachers, and others to read aloud to children aged between 0-5, and travels the world doing it. She travels a great deal as an influential international literacy consultant to places as diverse as Guam, Tanzania, China.
Mem Fox, AustraliaPicture-book authorHer first book, Possum MagicTime for Bed is on Oprahs list of the 20 best childrens books of all timeMem has written 30 picture books for children