SOME POINTS YOU SHOULD KNOW ABOUT BUSINESS COMMUNICATION
Embed Size (px)
Transcript of SOME POINTS YOU SHOULD KNOW ABOUT BUSINESS COMMUNICATION
- 1. BUSINESS COMMUNICATION Faculty- Meenakshi Aggarwal August 12, 2011
- 2. No late coming Be dressed in formals If you have a query, talk to me All genuine doubts are welcome but no nuisance will be tolerated English should be the only medium of communication
- 3. First impression is the last impression Global and diverse work place requires excellent communication skills One cannot go around with a sign board specifying his/her educational or professional qualification Forms a relationship and understanding between colleagues
- 4. What is communication? Ways to communicate Types of communication Communication networks Communication process Barriers to communication Listening Dos and donts
- 5. COMMUNICATION IS THE ART OF TRANSMITTING INFORMATION, IDEAS AND ATTITUDES FROM ONE PERSON TO ANOTHER. IT IS THE PROCESS OF MEANINGFUL INTERACTION AMONG HUMAN BEINGS.
- 6. PERSONAL PROCESS OCCURS BETWEEN PEOPLE INVOLVES CHANGE IN BEHAVIOUR MEANS TO INFLUENCE OTHERS EXPRESSION OF THOUGHTS AND EMOTIONS THROUGH WORDS & ACTIONS TOOL FOR CONTROLLING AND MOTIVATING PEOPLE IT IS A SOCIAL AND EMOTIONAL PROCESS
- 7. MOST COMMON WAYS OF COMMUNICATION Spoken Word Written Word Visual Images Body Language
- 8. Downward Communication : Highly directive, from senior to subordinates to- assign duties give instructions inform to offer feedback To highlight problems etc.
- 9. Upward Communication : It is non directive in nature from down below to the senior level to- give feedback inform about progress/problems seek approvals
- 10. Lateral or Horizontal Communication: Among colleagues and peers at same level for information sharing and coordination, to save time.
- 11. Formal Network: Generally vertical or as per the chain of command within the hierarchy. Informal Network:Free to move in any direction and may skip formal chain of command. Likely to satisfy social and emotional needs.
- 12. Executive Director Vice President A.G.M. Manager Supervisor Forman Supervisor 3Supervisor 1 Supervisor 2 Manager Horizontal Comm.
- 13. THE COMMUNICATION PROCESS SENDER (encodes) RECEIVER (decodes) Barrier Barrier Medium Feedback/Response
- 14. BARRIERS TO COMMUNICATION Noise Inappropriate medium Assumptions/Misconceptions Emotions Language differences Poor listening skills Distractions
- 15. Hearing Vs Listening Hearing Physical process, natural, passive Listening Physical as well as mental process, active, learned process, a skill You can pretend to hear, but not to listen. Try pretending to listen in a class, the results will reveal the consequences.
- 16. VALUE OF LISTENING Listening to others is an art Being a good listener reflects courtesy and manners Listening carefully to the superiors improves competence and performance The result of poor listening skills could be disastrous Good listening skills can eliminate a number of imaginary grievances of employees Good listening skills can improve social relations Listening is neither passive nor negative
- 17. Always think ahead about what you are going to say Use simple words and phrases understood by all Speak loudly and clearly Check with the listener whether you have been understood accurately or not In case of an interruption, always do a little recap of what has already been said Always pay undivided attention to the speaker while listening. While listening, always make notes of important points. Always ask for clarification if you have failed to grasp others point of view. Repeat what the speaker has said to check whether you have understood accurately ESSENTIALS OF COMMUNICATION Dos
- 18. ESSENTIALS OF COMMUNICATION DONTs Do not instantly react and mutter something in anger Do not use technical terms & terminologies not understood by the listener Do not speak too fast or too slow Do not speak in inaudible surroundings as you wont be heard Do not assume that every body understands you While listening do not glance here and there as it might distract the speaker Do not interrupt the speaker. Do not jump to the conclusion that you have understood every thing
- 19. How to Improve Existing Level of COMMUNICATION? IMPROVE LANGUAGE. IMPROVE PRONUNCIATION. WORK ON VOICE MODULATION. WORK ON BODY LANGUAGE. READ MORE LISTEN MORE
- 20. AVOID READING OR WATCHING OR LISTENING TO UNWANTED LITERATURE, GOSSIP, MEDIA PRESENTATION ETC. PRACTICE MEDITATION THINK AND SPEAK. USE SIMPLE VOCABULARY. DO NOT SPEAK ONLY TO IMPRESS SOMEONE. LOOK PRESENTABLE AND CONFIDENT.
- 21. Improving Body Language - Tips Keep appropriate distance Touch only when appropriate Take care of your appearance Be aware - people may give false cues Maintain eye contact Smile genuinely
- 22. in the new global and diverse workplace requires excellent communication skills! Success for YOU
- 23. Questions