5 Foundational Pillars of Affiliate Programâ€™s Success
Embed Size (px)
This presentation is from Affiliate Summit East 2014 (August 10-12, 2014 New York City). Session Description: Affiliate program management entails 5 major processes: affiliate recruitment, activation, policing, communication, and optimization. Geno will equip you with knowledge to effectively handle all five.
Transcript of 5 Foundational Pillars of Affiliate Programâ€™s Success
- 5 Foundational Pillars of Affiliate Program Success Geno Prussakov CEO, AM Navigator (affiliate management agency) www.amnavigator.com Founder, Affiliate Management Days (conference) www.amdays.com 888-588-8866 | Washington, DC firstname.lastname@example.org | @ePrussakov .
- The 5 Pillars
- - 1 - Affiliate Recruitment
- 2 Kinds of Affiliate Recruitment Active Passive You reach out to them They find you
- Active Recruitment Source: 2013 Affiliate Summit AffStat Report Active: Direct contact: 42.4% Conferences: 8.9%
- Source: AffiliateBenchmarks 2013 Global Affiliate Questionnaire Active: Network emails: 36.3% Blogs: 29.6% Aff. manager emails: 13.9% Active Recruitment
- Active Recruitment 5 Key Principles o Automation o Personalization o Persistence o Leaving Options Open o Education
- 1. Automation automation noun o-t-m-shn the technique of making an apparatus, a process, or a system operate automatically Source: Merriam-Webster Dictionary Employ Tools to Perform Routine Tasks E.g.: dont just google it, but have Google Alerts deliver prospective affiliates info to your inbox!
- Free & Inexpensive Tools 1. SEO Quake (free) 2. Backlink Watch (free) 3. Open Site Explorer (free) 4. Citation Labs (~$20 per 500-1000) 5. BuzzStream ($29/mo - $249/mo) 6. Raven Backlink Explorer ($99-$249/mo) 7. iBusinessPromoter ($250-$500) Paid Tools 1. AffiliateRecruitment.com 2. Linkdex 3. Syntryx
- Linkdex (sector/niche-specific)
- Linkdex (advertiser level query) Interrogating affiliate program-specific tracking domain(s), yielding lists of affiliate sites linking in
- Personalized subject lines are 22.2% more likely to be opened. Adestra July 2012 Report Personalized emails had a 5.13% higher average open rate than the regular emails. they also had 17.36% higher clickthrough rate. 2012 AWeber Case Study A study by email marketing provider YesMail found that personalization increased their clients' response rates from 4.7% to 14.8%. "The Quiet Revolution in Email Marketing" by Bill Nussey 2. Personalization
- 3. Persistence
- Effectiveness of Following up: Initial email: max. 4% sign up Follow-ups: 12% more join Frequency: 1. A week from original email 2. 1 more week down the road 3. 2-3 months 4. Half a year 5. A year 3. Persistence
- 4. Leaving Options Open Besides Primary Call to Action (join our affiliate program) Embed also a Secondary CTA into your affiliate recruitment emails!
- 5. Educating Them Source: Technorati Media 2013 Digital Influence Report
- Source: 2013 Affiliate Summit AffStat Report Passive: Merchant site: 51.3% Search engines: 38.6% Directories: 38% Word of mouth: 20.3% Support efforts: 14.6% Passive Recruitment
- Source: AffiliateBenchmarks 2013 Global Affiliate Questionnaire Passive: Support pages: 47% Network sites: 44.7% Search engines: 33.1% Forums & directories: 17.6% Word of mouth: 17.5% Passive Recruitment
- Passive Recruitment Ways to Get Found by Affiliates: o Program description (with visible link) o Program FAQ and/or support site/blog o Affiliate directories o Social media o Second-tier affiliates o Subscribe to affiliate news link o Press releases
- - 2 - Affiliate Activation
- Affiliate Activation What % of your current affiliates are active? between 5% and 10%
- Pattern to Follow: 1. Remind them of your program details 2. Include an activation promo 3. Enclose performance-based incentive 4. Pre-coded affiliate links (incl. coupons, feed, etc) 5. Detailed contact information Start With Approval Email!
- Whats the maximum acceptable affiliate program application response time? Source: 2010 AffStat Report
- Motivate Continuously!
- Congratulations! You have been chosen as a CSN Stores Affiliate Program Rising Star. All the members of this group have been able to bring in a significant amount of traffic to our sites over the last few month. We want to help you make sure those visits lead to sales and commissions! For the next month, April 1st - May 1st, the CSN Stores Affiliate program will be offering an exclusive promotion to the members of this Rising Stars group. If in the month of April you can convert just 10 sales you will receive an additional $150 bonus on top of your commissions. Example of Motivating Newsletter
- To motivate others effectively, managers must have a clear, unbiased understanding of the situation at hand, deep insights into the vagaries of human nature, the establishment of appropriate and reasonable expectations and goals, and the constructions of a balanced set of incentives. Bronwyn Fryer, "Moving Mountains (Harvard Business Review on Motivating People, 2003) Start with the truth Appeal to greatness Make them proud Stick to your values Provide constant & consistent communication channel Build trust Care for the little guy Set different incentive levels How to Motivate
- - 3 - Compliance Policing
- Remember Do not call it a violation unless youve defined it as such in your TOS!
- What to Police o Trademark use o FTC disclosures o Coupon usage o Brand placement(s)
- Trademarks TMs (and domains) as PPC keywords, TMs in domain names; misspellings and variations wording
- How to Police: In Paid Search Campaigns: iTrademarkBidding www.itrademarkbidding.com Brandverity PoachMark brandverity.com/poachmark SearchMonitor thesearchmonitor.com/affiliate_monitor AdGooroo Trademark Insight www.adgooroo.com In Domain Names: CitizenHawk www.citizenhawk.com Typo Assassin www.typoassassin.com .
- BrandVerity PoachMark
- FTC Compliance
- FTC's Rules on Endorsements In essence merchant-affiliate = sponsor-endorser relationships relationship must be clearly disclosed by marketer advertiser responsible for educating, equipping, and policing compliance
- What to Do: 1. Sub-clause of Affiliate Obligations clause in TOS 2. Provide affiliates with disclosure template(s) 3. Routinely analyze sites of top performers 4. Look into content monitoring solutions by BrandVerity and TheSearchMonitor to automate policing
- Coupon Usage Coupon harvesting or usage of protected coupon codes Pseudo-couponing Click-to-reveal technology
- BrandVerity for Policing (on LS) Protected coupon codes posted on affiliate sites
- Brand Placements Brand = your most valuable asset. Safeguard it!!
- Linkdex for Policing (on SaS) Filter on specific affiliate ID reveals 155 websites with their links
- Linkdex for Policing (on CJ) Filter on one of tracking domains for a single affiliate ID - 34 sites
- - 4 - Communication
- Global Problem
- Global Problem
- Communication Channel Build a two-way communication channel (via all available means, including social media)
- Source: 2014 AffStat Report
- Communication Frequency Source: 2010 AffStat Report
- - 5 - Optimization
- How to Optimize o Replicate your own successes o Employ best practices o Spy on your competition