Understanding spiritual weakness
Embed Size (px)
By Mike Smith A lesson about getting to understand about spiritual weakness.
Transcript of Understanding spiritual weakness
- Understanding Spiritual Weakness Jude 20-25
- The Problem is Real! Its why we have such admonitions as found in Jude 20-25. Spiritual weakness (anemia) is real and it challenges Christians. We must face it in our life and help others. 1 Corinthians 16:13; Ephesians 6:10 Jesus warned us about this. Mt. 26:41 We must be of help. 1 Thes. 5:14
- What is Spiritual Weakness? Spiritually strong is to be ruled by the Holy Spirit (living by Gods teaching)... Romans 8:1-8 And worldly minded is to be ruled by the flesh. Spiritual weakness then is a mind ruled by fleshly/worldly thinking... Romans 4:19 Little wavering faith Matthew 6:30; Jas. 1:6 So let us understand about this problem by seeing the reasons for it, how to recognize, and remedy it.
- Reasons For Spiritual Weakness: Spiritually immature (undeveloped). 1 Cor. 3:1-3 Unskilled and must grow. Hebrews 5:12-13 Must grow to strength through the word of God! 1 Peter 2:2; 1 John 2:14 Distracted by the world. Temptations to sin will attack when were vulnerable! 1 Peter 5:8-9; 1 Cor. 10:12-13 Trials test us. James 1:2-3 Error hinders your strength. Gal. 5:1, 7
- Reasons For Spiritual Weakness: Being overcome by sin... Galatians 6:1 Turns into spiritual death. Jas. 5:19-20 Not using Gods word to judge what is right. 1 Corinthians 2:12-16; 1 Tim. 1:8 Failure to do this caused many to be weak. 1 Cor. 11:30 If left alone spiritual weakness becomes carnality. 1 Cor. 3:1-3 We must choose to be ruled by the Holy Spirit. Romans 8:5, 7
- Recognizing Spiritual Weakness: Weak in resistance: To temptation Eph. 6:10, 13, 16; 1 Jn. 2:14 To error. Eph. 4:14 Never be ashamed of truth. Rom. 1:16 Weak in appetite: Mt. 5:6; Jn. 6:27 Many weak Christians have a strong appetite for other things like ball games, recreation, and entertainment but need the desire for solid food! Heb. 5:14 Need a priority check. Mt. 6:33 Need to learn and live Gods word. 2 Tim. 2:15
- Recognizing Spiritual Weakness: Weak in estimating your ability & responsibility: Matthew 25:18 When asked to help in the work of the Lord he replies: I cant. The strong says, I can try! Phil. 4:13
- Spiritual Weakness Is Bad! Because if left unattended it becomes willful sin! Hebrews 10:26-27 God has made provisions for us to grow and get spiritual growth and strength. 2 Peter 3:18 The church. Hebrews 10:22-25 Because it is contagious! Gal. 5:9 It influences and discourages others. Num. 32:6-7
- Remedies For the Spiritually Weak Do what you can do... Luke 13:6-9 Support the weak. 1 Thes. 5:14 Help them grow through Bible study. 6-9 Set good examples for them to see. 1 Tim. 4:12 Try to restore those that have fallen. Gal. 6:1-2 Teach, correct, warn, & rebuke them. 2 Timothy 2:24-26 Pray for them. James 5:16
- What To Do About Spiritual Weakness The Responsibility of the weak is to grow in personal faith! Jude 20-21 Your Responsibility toward the weak: In mercy & compassion, try to help strengthen & save them! Jude 22-23 You must also rely on God who is able to keep us from stumbling & present us without blemish in His presence! Jude 24