Scaling agile Principles and Practices
Embed Size (px)
What is scaling and how can it help to improve your organisation? What is the right mix of scaling principles and practices for your culture and teams? I will compare some agile approaches on scaling like Scaled Agile Framework aka SAFe, Large Scale Scrum (LeSS) both based on principles of Lean Product Development and Scaling Agile @ Spotify.
Transcript of Scaling agile Principles and Practices
- KEGON AG 2014 1 Agile@Scale For your Organisation Whats the Right Mix of Principles and Practices? Leatherman Day, Telefnica Germany Mnchen, 25.06.2014 Josef.Scherer@KEGON.de
- KEGON AG 2014 2 Agile Management Consultant Solution Focused Coach 30 years of experience in software development 7 years of experience with Large Scale Scrum 3 Enterprise Agile Transitions (bwin, ADAG, Telekom P&I) Scaled Agile Framework (SAFe) Program Consultant and Trainer Josef Scherer
- KEGON AG 2014 3 Training and Consulting for Agile@Enterprise Leading SAFe consulting company in Germany (5 SPCs, 5 SAs) Scaled Agile Inc. Partner Customers using SAFe KEGON AG
- Scaling Agile Practices & Self-Similarity KEGON AG 2014 4
- Questions about Scaling Practices Agile@ScaleKEGON AG 2014 5 What is your primary business goal for improvement? (decrease T2M or TCO, increase customer satisfaction, ) Do you need to scale at all to reach that goal? What kind of scaling is more important to reach that goal? (vertical or horizontal or both) What scaling practices could help you to reach that goal? Are there any quick wins by using low effort, high impact practices?
- Vertical & Horizontal Scaling KEGON AG 2014 6 http://www.it-agile.de/wissen/agile-skalierung-ueber-die-prinzipien/ Number of Teams Coverage of Value Stream
- Vertical Scaling, Ready & Done Agile@ScaleKEGON AG 2014 7
- KEGON AG 2014 8 Number of Teams? (vertical) Coverage of Value Stream? (horizontal) Marketing, Product Management, SW Development, Operations Number of Organisational Levels? (both) Classic Functional: Team, Department, Division, Enterprise SAFe: Team, Program, Portfolio, Business Unit, Enterprise Large Scale Scrum: Feature Team, Requirement Area, Product Levels of Inspect&Adapt Cycles? (both) Iteration, Release, Road Map, Product Vision, Business Model What is Scaled?
- KEGON AG 2014 9 Organisational properties that apply at all levels Roles Team, Product Owner, Scrum Master, Architect Artefacts Backlog, Increment Timeboxes/Events Planning, Scrum, Review, Retrospective Other agile practices DoD, DoR, Test First Fractal, Self-Similarity of Scrum
- 10KEGON AG 2014
- KEGON AG 2014 11 Scaled Roles Agile Release Train (ART) -> Value Streams, Business Units? Product Management -> Program Portfolio Management System Architect -> Enterprise Architect Release Train Engineer (RTE) -> Agile Portfolio Master? Scaled Artefacts Program Backlog (Features) -> Portfolio Backlog (Epics) Scaled Inspect and Adapt Events Release Planning -> Strategic Planning? System Demo -> Review Investment Themes? Problem Solving Workshop -> Improvement Portfolio Mgt.? Self-Similarity & SAFe Protfolio Level?
- One Product Manager as overall Product Owner One Product Backlog per Product One Area Product Owner per Requirement Area Feature Teams with domain knowledge Joint Sprint Meetings Planning 1 Review Retrospective PBL Refinement KEGON AG 2014 12 Large Scale Scrum (LeSS)
- KEGON AG 2014 Agile@Scale 13 Vertical Scaling @Spotify
- Scaling Teams & CoPs @Spotify Agile@ScaleKEGON AG 2014 14
- KEGON AG 2014 15 Engineering Practices Pair Work Shared Code Ownership (internal open source) Continuous Integration, Continuous Delivery Test First (ATDD & TDD) Communities of Practice (CoPs) Scrum Master, Agile Coaches Product Owner Agile Testing Agile Architecture Other important Scaling Practices
- KEGON AG 2014 Agile@Scale 16 Feature Teams -> Micro Service Architecture http://www.it-agile.de/wissen/skalierbare-software-architekturen/
- Scaling Lean & Agile Principles KEGON AG 2014 17 Dee Hock (CEO VISA) The Birth of the Chaordic Age Simple, clear purpose and principles give rise to complex, intelligent behavior.
- Questions about Scaling Principles Agile@ScaleKEGON AG 2014 18 Again: What is your primary business goal for improvement? What principles are relevant to reach that goal? What weighting of purpose and autonomy is right for your culture? What ballance of principles & practices is appropriate for you teams?
- Principles > Practices Agile@ScaleKEGON AG 2014 19
- Lean House Agile@ScaleKEGON AG 2014 20
- 2008-2014 Scaled Agile, Inc. and Leffingwell, LLC. All rights reserved. Product Development Flow Don Reinertsen Principles of Product Development Flow 1. Take an economic view 2. Actively manage queues 3. Understand and exploit variability 4. Reduce batch sizes 5. Apply WIP constraints 6. Control flow under uncertainty: cadence and synchronization 7. Get feedback as fast as possible 8. Decentralize control 21
- 2008-2014 Scaled Agile, Inc. and Leffingwell, LLC. All rights reserved. Lean Foundation: Leadership Management is trained in lean thinking Bases decisions on this long term philosophy 1. Take a Systems View 2. Embrace the Agile Manifesto 3. Implement Product Development Flow 4. Unlock the Intrinsic Motivation of Knowledge Workers 22
- KEGON AG 2014 Agile@Scale 23 Our highest priority is to satisfy the customer through early and continuous delivery of valuable software. Business people and developers must work together daily throughout the project. Build projects around motivated individuals. Give them the environment and support they need, and trust them to get the job done. Simplicity--the art of maximizing the amount of work not done--is essential. The best architectures, requirements, and designs emerge from self-organizing teams. At regular intervals, the team reflects on how to become more effective, then tunes and adjusts its behavior accordingly. Principles behind the Agile Manifesto
- Drive: Autonomy, Mastery, Purpose 24
- Purpose enables Autonomy Agile@ScaleKEGON AG 2014 25
- 4 Levels of Team Autonomy Agile@ScaleKEGON AG 2014 26
- Alignment & Autonomy @Spotify Agile@ScaleKEGON AG 2014 27
- Alignment in SAFe 28
- LeSS Principles & Themes Agile@ScaleKEGON AG 2014 29 For scaling, Large Scale Scrum (LeSS) hits a sweet-spot balance between defined Scrum practices and the principles of empirical process control. Larman, Vodde 2014, Large Scale Scrum.