MELANGE French Quiz Prelims - '14 - Put Funda
Embed Size (px)
This is a quiz on France and its relations with India. This will all aspects of France and its culture.
Transcript of MELANGE French Quiz Prelims - '14 - Put Funda
- MLANGE PRELIMS
- 1. What is the motto of France?
- Libert, galit, fraternit Liberty, Equality and Fraternity
- 2. Identify the building.
- Bastille prison.
- 3. How do we better know musicians Guy- Manuel de Homem-Christo and Thomas Bangalter?
- Daft Punk!
- 4. What is being constructed here?
- The Eiffel Tower!
- 5. Alstom is a large French multinational conglomerate which holds interests in the power generation and transport markets. According to the company website, in the years 20102011 Alstom had annual sales of over 20.9 billion, and employed more than 85,000 people in 70 countries. Alstom's headquarters are located in Levallois-Perret, west of Paris. Its current CEO is Patrick Kron. Alstom is active in the field of hydroelectric power generation; in conventional islands for nuclear power plants and environmental control systems. Alstom is also present in the urban transport market, and is behind regional train models, signalling infrastructure equipment, and a number of associated services. What product does it mainly manufacture?
- 6. What is this the route of?
- Tour de France!
- 7. The ______ Abu Dhabi is a planned museum, to be located in Abu Dhabi, UAE. Artwork from around the world will be showcased at the museum, with particular focus placed upon bridging the gap between Eastern and Western art.By choosing the ______, the emirate of Abu Dhabi not only sealed a partnership with the worlds most visited and well-known museum, but selected one which, from its very inception, had a vocation to reach out to the world, to the essence of mankind, through the contemplation of works of art. FITB.
- 8. _______ was established as a French colony in 1673, when the French obtained permission from Ibrahim Khan, the Nawab of Bengal, to establish a trading post on the right bank of the Hughli River. Bengal was then a province of the Mughal Empire. It became a permanent French settlement in 1688, and in 1730 Joseph Franois Dupleix was appointed governor of the city, during whose administration more than two thousand brick houses were erected in the town and a considerable maritime trade was carried on. For a time, ________ was the main center for European commerce in Bengal. FITB again.
- Chandranagore (Now Chandannagar)
- 9. Charles-douard Jeanneret-Gris, better known as Le Corbusier (French: [l kbyzje]; October 6, 1887 August 27, 1965), was a Swiss-French architect, designer, painter, urban planner, writer, and one of the pioneers of what is now called modern architecture. He was born in Switzerland and became a French citizen in 1930. His career spanned five decades, with his buildings constructed throughout Europe, India, and America. Dedicated to providing better living conditions for the residents of crowded cities, Le Corbusier was influential in urban planning. What is his contribution to India?
- 10. What record does this long wave transmitter hold?
- This is the tallest structure in France.
- 11. "_ ____ ___ ____" is the French phrase supposedly spoken by "a great princess" upon learning that the peasants had no bread. Since brioche was made from dough enriched with butter and eggs, making it more expensive than bread, the quote supposedly would reflect the princess's obliviousness as to the condition of the people. While it is commonly attributed to Queen Marie Antoinette, there is no record of this phrase ever having been uttered by her.
- Let them have cake.
- 12. Rod Laver Arena ________________ Centre Court Arthur Ashe Stadium FITB and Connect.
- Rod Laver Arena (Australian Open) Court Philippe Chatrier (French Open) Centre Court (Wimbledon) Arthur Ashe Stadium (US Open)
- 13. X was a French football administrator who was the 3rd President of FIFA, serving from 1921 to 1954. He was FIFA's longest serving president, having served for 33 years. He also served as the president of the French Football Federation from 1919 to 1946. On X's initiative, the first FIFA World Cup was held in 1930.He also founded the French football club Red Star Saint-Ouen. He has contributed a great piece of art to the world of football. ID X and contribution.
- Jules Rimet and the Jules Rimet trophy
- 14. What is this a flag of?
- 15. See the video in the next slide. X is a non competitive sport based on which this game is developed. The name of the game is Vector. Identify X.
- 16. What are these types of? (Inexhaustive list)
- 17. Une fille qui est chaleureuse et humaine pendant la journe Une fille chic qui savent profiter de la libert d'une tasse de caf Une jeune fille dont le cur devient plus chaud quand la nuit vient Une fille avec ce genre de torsion Je suis un garon Un garon qui est chaude comme vous pendant la journe Un gars qui one-shots son caf avant qu'il ne refroidisse jusqu' Un garon dont le cur clate quand la nuit vient Ce genre de garon Belle, adorable oui, vous, h, oui vous, h Belle, adorable oui, vous, h, oui vous, h Maintenant, nous allons aller jusqu'au bout This is the French Lyrics of what song?
- 18. Ren Franois Armand (Sully) Prudhomme (French: [syli pydm]; 16 March 1839 6 September 1907) was a French poet and essayist. Born in Paris, Prudhomme originally studied to be an engineer, but turned to philosophy and later to poetry; he declared it as his intent to create scientific poetry for modern times. In character sincere and melancholic, he was linked to the Parnassus school, although, at the same time, his work displays characteristics of its own. What is his achievement?
- He is the first winner of the Nobel Prize for Literature in 1901.
- 19. The 15-month long Indian cultural festival X Y was held from 14 April 2010 to 28 June 2011. It was successful in terms of putting India on the cultural radar of France. X Y was a comprehensive presentation of Indian culture including art, music, dance, fashion, tourism, films, and literature as also business and education in both its traditional and contemporary forms. The X Y Festival was organized in response to Bonjour India a similar French cultural festival, organized by the French Embassy in India in 2009-2010. Identify X Y.
- Namast France
- 20. Where will you find these?
- 21. Identify the person in the currency note.
- Victor Hugo.
- 22. What is the name of the French time zone and how is it calculated?
- Central European Time. GMT +1.00
- 23. Identify these French companies from the logos.
- 24. Which French sculptors grave is this?
- 25. The woman In the picture is Aurlie Filippetti. She is a novelist of Italian descent. Her first novel Les derniers jours de la classe Ouvrire (The Last Days of the Working Class), published by Stock in 2003, has been translated into several languages. In 2003, Filippetti wrote the script for the theatre production Fragments d'humanit. How is she related to France NOW? P. S. Author is not what were expecting.