Embed Size (px)
Your #1 career goal should be to work to build your personal brand known as Me, Inc. This presentation demonstrates the importance of personal brand and some tips on how to build one.
Transcript of Me, Inc.
- Jason Culbertson June 24, 2013
- In the old economy personal brand didnt matter. Only the company brand did.
- But now, you have to compete in a global economy. Graduation of 1,744,000 US vs 6,800,000 in China this year.
- The resume just doesnt work anymore.
- An average of 250 resumes are submitted for each corporate job opening today Recruiters spend only 6 seconds reviewing them Companies are increasingly relying on referrals For example Ernst andYoung hired 50% from referrals alone last year
- You have to separate yourself from the herd.
- ... but how?
- Create your own personal brand... like this guy
- Social media mogul with over 3M Twitter followers Advised Pandora,YouTube (2006), Bump Started own search engine and dance apps Attended the inauguration of Mayor Ed Lee (w/Sean Parker) Advises Hollywood on tech and SiliconValley Seriously though...
- Fred Wilson Union SquareVentures,AVC.com 1st Post - September 23, 2003
- Call it... Me, Inc.
- Personal Brands allow individuals to differentiate themselves by consistently articulating and leveraging their unique value proposition.
- First, dene your mission statement from your passion.
- I want to help startups use design to solve business problems.
- Next, state what makes your brand unique.
- Eric Ries Author of Lean Startup. Blogger at Startuplessonslearned.com
- Consistent Messaging
- Ask yourself the same question brand managers at Nike and Coke ask: What is it that my product or service does that makes it different? Identifying the qualities or characteristics that make you distinctive from your competitors What do you do that adds marketable value? What are you most proud of? What do you want to be famous for?
- Finally, own your brand. Social Media is your scorecard. Your followers, retweets, and network determine your net worth to a company.
- Digital real estate that you own: Portfolio Website Blog Email List Digital real estate that you rent: LinkedIn Twitter Tumblr About.me Manage the message.
- In Summary
- You are the CEO of our own company: Me, Inc. From this moment forward, your most important job is to be the head marketer of your brand.