Dr. Brian Durney Computing and Networking Sciences at UVU C S 3 5 4 0.
of 29 /29
Embed Size (px)
Transcript of Dr. Brian Durney Computing and Networking Sciences at UVU C S 3 5 4 0.
- Slide 1
- Dr. Brian Durney Computing and Networking Sciences at UVU C S 3 5 4 0
- Slide 2
- Why Game Programming?
- Slide 3
- Its fun! (Most of the time) Its also a whole lot of work: game design software design and implementation art, music, sound, writing testing
- Slide 4
- Nine Billion Dollars Computer games are a big industry. "More money is spent on games than on movies."...but...
- Slide 5
- Research Yes, real research: No, theyre not talking about chess. Human-level AIs Killer Application: Interactive Computer Games John E. Laird and Michael van Lent University of Michigan
- Slide 6
- My favorite things: Graphics Programming Artificial Intelligence Network Programming Interesting Math Problems Game Design Writing and Art
- Slide 7
- What we will do this term: Graphics Game Design Game AI
- Slide 8
- Slide 9
- Why I Hate DirectX 10.You cant uninstall it. 9.Version changes led to crashes and character mutations. 8.There arent any really good books for the current version. 7.Its from Microsoft. 6. No more DirectDraw.
- Slide 10
- Why I Hate DirectX 5.Exporting/loading 3D models is a pain. (conv3DS.exe is junk.) 4.Good luck using the documentation (information overload, gaping holes, it moves) 3.Its a major pain to debug. 2.Its not portable. 1.Complicated is too kind a word.
- Slide 11
- Indirect DirectX Rather than using Direct X directly, we will use a game engine. Portability Can program at a higher level
- Slide 12
- Game Engine Review and Demonstration Choose a game engine. Write a review. Write a demo program. Present your review and demo in class. The assignment web page has a list of game engines.
- Slide 13
- Game Design
- Slide 14
- What makes a good game?
- Slide 15
- Game Review and Presentation Look at a commercial game in terms of the game design principles we discuss in class.
- Slide 16
- Interactive Fiction Text games Venerable ancestors of... Game balance, story line, nonlinear plots, characters, combat, etc. Story generation
- Slide 17
- Game AI
- Slide 18
- Write a program to control a bot. We will also look at this game in terms of graphics and game design. http://universe.tc.uvu.edu/uvbots/index.html
- Slide 19
- UV Bots Server Display Client Bot Client Bot Client Bot Client http://universe.tc.uvu.edu/uvbots/index.html
- Slide 20
- Programming Problem How can the server efficiently tell when one bot hits another?
- Slide 21
- Programming Problem How can the display keep the beam from going through obstacles?
- Slide 22
- AIIDE Artificial Intelligence in Interactive Digital Entertainment
- Slide 23
- Story generator and director Automated dungeon master Creates map Creates plot/storyline Runs adventure Easy, right?
- Slide 24
- A project Im working on
- Slide 25
- Universe Long-term game development project Wide range of clients Wide range of players Serious games Not-so-serious games Recruiting Research: game design and game AI Independent study, senior project possibilities
- Slide 26
- Project I encourage groups of 2 to 3 students for the project. Specialize in graphics, game AI, game design. Complete Not necessarily a complete game, but should be a complete game, tool, or library. Programming required Not just a level design I must be able to read your source code and play your game.
- Slide 27
- Project Ideas UV Bots map editor 3D display, Flash/Flex display,... game design and mechanics Universe spaceship combat trade and exploration mini games
- Slide 28
- Project Ideas Converters for 3D model formats Export.x from Blender for Irrlicht Import/Export.ms3d in Blender Story generator and director Use AI planner to generate and analyze plots Choose manageable subproblem and implement for NWN, UT, Half-life, text game,...
- Slide 29
- Project Ideas ORTS http://www.cs.ualberta.ca/~mburo/orts/ Interface for commercial game Simulator software for the Christa McAuliffe Space Education Center (if they're interested...) www.spacecamputah.org Your idea here...