2. latha chhetri presentation at laev may 30 2014
Embed Size (px)
Transcript of 2. latha chhetri presentation at laev may 30 2014
- BHUTANS DEVELOPMENT PARADIGM Presentation for friends of BhutanMay 23, 2014 Latha Chhetri, Chief Urban Planner Department of Human Settlement, Bhutan
- Bhutan: Location
- Bhutan: Fact Sheet Economy Hydro Power , Tourism
- Background: Modernization Initiation of Bhutans modernization process -1960s - Urban development process began in 1961.
- Background: Trend Bhutan is undergoing rapid socio-economic changes and a rapid rural urban migration. The pattern of human settlement is changing rapidly. Source www.google.bt
- Background: Housing Rural Housing and Settlement Traditional materials & construction. Blends well with environment Minimal Excavation. Reflects cultural beliefs & systems.
- Background: Housing Urban Housing & Settlement New materials & construction styles. Increased densities with better facilities and infrastructure.
- Five Year Plans/Vision 2020 Valley Development Plans/Structure Plans / Local Area Plans Guidance for Development
- Development Philosophy: Maximization of Happiness https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Zqdqa4YNvI GROSS NATIONAL HAPPINESS
- Gross National Happiness : Towards holistic approach to development Governance
- 1. Sustainable Socio-Economic Development Source Happiness: Towards a New Development Paradigm Report of the Kingdom of Bhutan Accessible jobs and affordable housing. Economic activities with low impact and positive influence on health and environment.
- 2. Conservation of Environment Forestry and Biodiversity Bhutan is home to a diverse array of flora and fauna including globally threatened species.
- 2. Conservation of Environment- Climate Change Source NAPA
- 3. Preservation and Promotion of Culture
- 4. Good Governance Governance based on Efficiency, Transparency, Accountability Decentralization / Strengthening Local Governments and other Institutional Structures. Democratic Elections, Political Stability, Social Harmony Bottom- Up approach to development /Participatory Coordination amongst agencies for healthy, livable cities.
- Urban Population Distribution - By 2050, it is expected that more than Challenges for Regionally Balanced Development
- Challenges on Environment Emerging Development issues.
- Challenges on land use Unprecedented growth outside urban boundaries. Fragmented land holdings.
- Way Forward Act Globally Source Happiness: Towards a New Development Paradigm Report of the Kingdom of Bhutan
- Way Forward When we accept that this is a world of people all alike, of families all alike, of communities all alike of countries facing the same challenges of human beings ultimately seeking the same thing then we will truly be in a position to foster well being, security and happiness......His Majesty Jigme Khesar Namgyel Wangchuck
- Bhutan A definite opportunity for ecologically healthy cities https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Zqdqa4YNvI
- THANK YOU & TASHI DELEK!