Embed Size (px)
Transcript of Weather station
- 1. Weather Station 101
Craven County Schools
2300 Old Cherry Pt Road
New Bern, NC 28560
Download or uploadthe map picture and open with a paint program or use Scribblemaps.com or Scriblink.com
Electronically color your picture by PREDICTING what the current temperatures are for the entire map or a specific region.Use the color chart below.
3. Timed Pair Share
What background knowledge did you use to decide how to color your map?
Vocabularyyou may have heard:
4. Equator 5. Tropics 6. Coastal Areas 7. Mountain Region 8. Oceans 9. Trade Winds 10. Elevation 11. Forrest/VegetationTeacher announces topic, states how long each student will share, and provides think time.
In pairs, Partner A shares; Partner B LISTENS
Partner B responds with a positive gambit.
Partners switch Roles
*Can be used as pre or post type formative assessment
Use the Map Feature from DAVIS or the NOAA links.
13. Integrated Sensor Suite (ISS)
Anemometer wind cups
Rain Collector with debris screen
14. Grade 2Competency Goal 2: The learner will conduct investigations and use appropriate tools to build an understanding of the changes in weather.
2.01 Investigate and describe how moving air interacts with objects.
2.02 Observe the force of air pressure pushing on objects.
2.03 Describe weather using quantitative measures of:
2.04 Identify and use common tools to measure weather:
Wind vane and anemometer.
2.05 Discuss and determine how energy from the sun warms the land, air and water.
2.06 Observe and record weather changes over time and relate to time of day and time of year.
15. Grade 5Competency Goal 3: The learner will conduct investigations and use appropriate technology to build an understanding of weather and climate.
3.01 Investigate the water cycle including the processes of:
3.02 Discuss and determine how the following are affected by predictable patterns of weather:
Wind direction and speed.
3.03 Describe and analyze the formation of various types of clouds and discuss their relation to weather systems.
3.04 Explain how global atmospheric movement patterns affect local weather.
3.05 Compile and use weather data to establish a climate record and reveal any trends.
3.06 Discuss and determine the influence of geography on weather and climate:
16. Grade 7The learner will conduct investigations and utilize appropriate technologies and information systems to build an understanding of the atmosphere
3.05 Examine evidence that atmospheric properties can be studied to predict atmospheric conditions and weather hazards:
Wind speed and direction.
3.06 Assess the use of technology in studying atmospheric phenomena and weather hazards:
Communicating information about conditions.
measures wind speed
18. Rain Collector / Rain Gauge
Collects and records the amount of rainfall.The ISS uses a tipping spoon inside that fills, dumps, and records the water amount automatically.
19. Solar Panel
A collection ofsolar cells that directly converts the energy in light into electrical energy through the process of photovoltaics.
20. Radiation Shield
Protects your External Temperature Sensor or External Temperature/Humidity Sensor from solar radiation and other sources of radiated and reflected heat. (Increases accuracy of the readings and life of the sensor)
21. Wind Vane
Measures the direction of the wind