These S.H.I.E.L.D. Agents Could Be Huge for the Marvel Movie Machine
Embed Size (px)
Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. should kick the franchise into a new gear when it debuts on Sept. 24 on Disney’s ABC television network. The following slideshow gives fans and investors a taste of what to expect, and explains why the Marvel movie opportunity is still so huge.
Transcript of These S.H.I.E.L.D. Agents Could Be Huge for the Marvel Movie Machine
- These S.H.I.E.L.D. Agents Could Be Huge for the Marvel Movie Machine
- Why Disney Is Expanding the Marvel Universe Each new property offers the possibility of new storytelling, licensing, and merchandising riches. Disney accounted for $39.3 billion in licensed imprint sales in 2012, according to License Global magazine. Hasbro pays for rights to sell action figures based on 8,000 Marvel characters. New deal runs through 2020. As investors, we want to see the Marvel footprint grow over time. Source: Marvel.com.
- Three Things to Watch For This Fall Source: Marvel.com. As a platform, Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. increases options in 3 distinct ways: Offers Marvel and showrunner Joss Whedon a way to explore complex plots that stretch from comics to TV to film. Creates space to introduce new characters we havent seen on the Big Screen. Provides the time necessary to adapt popular comic book story arcs that wouldnt fit in a two-hour film. Also, several lesser known Marvel characters have close ties to S.H.I.E.L.D., including ...
- The Falcon Source: Marvel. Created by: Stan Lee and Gene Colan, Captain America #117 Abilities: Flight, expert in hand- to-hand combat, telepathic link to birds. Ties to S.H.I.E.L.D.: Member of The Avengers. Also, an active agent in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Did you know? Actor Anthony Mackie plays The Falcon in next springs Captain America: The Winter Soldier.
- She-Hulk Source: Marvel. Created by: Stan Lee and John Buscema, Savage She-Hulk #1 Abilities: Superhuman strength, speed, agility, and durability. Also, heals rapidly. Ties to S.H.I.E.L.D.: Scientist assigned to the Super Soldier project in Marvels alternate- reality Ultimate universe. Did you know? Subbed for The Thing for a time in Marvels superhero quartet, The Fantastic Four.
- Ant-Man Sources: Edgar Wright, Marvel. Created by: Stan Lee and Jack Kirby, Tales to Astonish #27 Abilities: Size-shifting from normal human size to microscopic, all without losing any strength or stamina. Ties to S.H.I.E.L.D.: Several agents and affiliates have inhabited the Ant- Man identity. Did you know? The first Ant-Man, scientist Henry Pym, also created the robot Ultron. James Spader will play the character as the antagonist in 2015s The Avengers: Age of Ultron.
- Quasar Source: Nike. Created by: Don Glut, Roy Thomas, and John Buscema, Captain America #217 Abilities: Energy manipulation, teleportation, solid light constructs, and flight. (Granted via use of Quantum Bands.) Ties to S.H.I.E.L.D.: Former agent originally, and ironically, deemed unfit for field work. Did you know? An ongoing comic book series starring the character ran for 60 issues, from October 1989 to July 1994.
- The Importance of Franchise Building Franchises simplify buying decisions. Disney sells $40 billion worth of merchandise annually because its franchises are recognizable. Yet Marvels franchises are still growing. Example: 2008s Iron Man grossed just $585 million worldwide vs. $1.2 billion for Iron Man 3. Importantly, this phenomenon isnt unique to media stocks. Apple has made billions creating new franchises (e.g., the iPad) to replace aging cash cows (e.g., the iPod).Source: Marvel. Dont be surprised if Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. gives birth to new franchises!
- 5 Tech Franchises Enter, Only 1 Leaves Apple is one of five tech suppliers to develop franchises worth following. As these businesses come into increasing conflict, investors need to know which to bet on. Which would you pick of these remaining four? One has an almost schizophrenic product portfolio that spans everything from cloud computing to TV. Another possesses what might soon be the worlds largest marketing database, if it isnt already. Another recently expanded into a potentially lucrative market in which it has virtually no expertise. Another is led by a founder whose business interests as so diverse that they rival those of Tesla chief Elon Musk. Care to learn more about these stocks? We tell you all you need to know in a just-released special report. Click here to claim your FREE copy now.