The rules of composition - Photography
Embed Size (px)
Transcript of The rules of composition - Photography
- 1. THE RULES OF COMPOSITION BY PETER HALL
- 2. Rules are foolish, arbitrary, mindless things that raise you quickly to a level of acceptable mediocrity, then prevent you from progressing further The Art of Photography, Bruce Barnbaum
- 3. There are no rules for good photographs, only good photographs Ansel Adams
- 4. What is composition ? an arrangement of the parts of a work of art so as to form a unified, harmonious whole The Art of Photography, Bruce Barnbaum
- 5. What is your photograph of ? A thing ?
- 6. What is your photograph of ? A place ?
- 7. What is your photograph of ? A person ?
- 8. What is your photograph of ? An event ?
- 9. What is your photograph of ? Nothing at all ?
- 10. a good photograph is knowing where to stand Ansel Adams Where do I stand ? If you stand where everyone else is, you will take the same photograph Where do I look ? When everybody is looking up look down Which way do I hold my camera ? Still (usually)
- 11. A contradiction 1 fill the frame
- 12. A contradiction 2 negative space
- 13. The only unbreakable rule ?
- 14. The only unbreakable rule ? Straight horizons !
- 15. Except when you break it...
- 16. Oh no, its...
- 17. Oh no, its...the rule of thirds
- 18. Selective focus
- 19. Lead in lines
- 20. Lead in lines - direction
- 21. The S Curve
- 22. Foreground
- 23. Framing within the frame
- 24. Juxtaposition
- 25. Square
- 26. Panorama or letter box
- 27. Symmetry
- 28. Diptych
- 29. Odd numbers (the preference for 3)
- 30. Repeating patterns
- 31. Simplicity
- 32. http://www.flickr.com/photos/peterphotographic/