The Palace of Knossos. IN CRETE Where is Crete on the map?
Embed Size (px)
Transcript of The Palace of Knossos. IN CRETE Where is Crete on the map?
- Slide 1
- The Palace of Knossos
- Slide 2
- Slide 3
- IN CRETE Where is Crete on the map?
- Slide 4
- Ancient Greece Knossos lies in the north central part of Crete
- Slide 5
- Knossos is next to the city of Heraklion
- Slide 6
- WHY IS THE PALACE FAMOUS? Because of the myth of the MINOTAUR He lived in a labyrinth under the Palace of Knossos Half man Half bull HOW?
- Slide 7
- KING MINOS & THE LABYRYNTH King Minos ordered to build a maze (= labyrinth) as a prison For the Minotaur, a monster who was half a man/half a bull: LABYRINTH> LABRYS= double AXE Magical significance
- Slide 8
- KING MINOS It is after him that Sir Arthur Evans called the civilization and art he discovered as MINOAN CIVILIZATION/ ART
- Slide 9
- WHO is this man????? Sir Arthur Evans JOB: archeologist He begins on March 23, 1900,the excavation of Knossos. He spends all his life working on it
- Slide 10
- CENTRAL COURT THRONE ROOM STORE ROOMS ROYAL APARTMENTS THE GRAND STAIRCASE THE WEST COURT MAIN ENTRANCE HOW? THEATRE
- Slide 11
- 1.There are about 1300 rooms connected with corridors 2. SIZE: six acres 3. How many entrances? Four, on each of its four cardinal points WHEN WAS IT BUILT? BETWEEN 1700 1400 BC
- Slide 12
- THE MINOAN COLUMNS 1.Different from other Greek columns 2. They were constructed from the trunk of a cycpress tree 3. SMALLER at the bottom and WIDER at the top smaller wider
- Slide 13
- BULL-LEAPING WOMAN Light skin MAN Dark skin The BULL First phase of the activity: An athlete grasps the Bulls horns Second phase An athlete vaults Over the bulls back Third phase: the athlete jumps on the ground The fresco describes three different moments of a sport/activity FRESCO