The Future of Men's Grooming - Jean Wojciechowski & Wade Howard
Embed Size (px)
Final work for "Analyzing Trends" at Parsons The New School for Design, Spring 2014.
Transcript of The Future of Men's Grooming - Jean Wojciechowski & Wade Howard
- The future of M E N S G R O O M I N G Jean Wojciechowski & Wade Howard Analyzing Trends | Tim Stock | Parsons The New School for Design | Spring 2014
- H Y P OT H E S I S Both Yummys (Young Urban Men) and Bros (Young, Educated Men) have become interested in their appearance over the past several years. The boom in men's fashion has shown us that like cosmetics are to women, grooming products are to men. What is inside his medicine cabinet shows a level of knowledge previously only attainable to the metrosexual man.
- T R E N D F O R C E S Economic environment1 2 3 Information disbursement Story brands
- T R E N D F O R C E S Economic environment Brazil adding over a third of the growth to the mens grooming category William Reed Business Media SA India in particular posting a 32% increase Kline & Company. Sales expected to rise by 16% in the U.S. Mintel The U.S. market increased almost 20% over the past six years Mintel GLOBAL In 2013, for the first time, men spent more cash on male-specific toiletries than on shaving products. GCI Magazine In the year ahead, a further segmentation of mens grooming is expected, particularly in the developed markets. GCI Magazine BRICS and U.S.
- T R E N D F O R C E S Economic environment CHANGES IN THE WAY MEN BUY The male grooming space in global emerging markets has grown on the back of rising urbanization, disposable incomes and the tendency towards individualism versus more traditional family-centric lifestyles. Spire Research As more male consumers begin to place emphasis on style and fashion, brands should strive to tap this audience through specific programs that develop awareness. Luxury Daily 1985 25% 1998 52% 2004 69% Spire Research mens goods bought by men themselves:
- T R E N D F O R C E S Information disbursement Today, anyone can broadcastwhether it be a distraught mother or a crusading journalist. Forbes Faster than ever, individuals and brands can now share thoughts and experiences with the world.
- T R E N D F O R C E S Story brands Stories, unlike any other element, allow brands to connect with customers on an emotional level. Mashable Today, the only messages anyone will see and hear are the messages they choose to see and hear. Story Worldwide Consumers want more than just pretty videos and images from brands like Burberry, they want to understand the story. Brittany Mills, vice president of client solutions at Nervewire Inc. Brands are no longer about just projecting an image. Now brands are required to tell the narrative of who they are and how they became that.
- C U R R E N T E X A M P L E S Economic environment1 2 3 Information disbursement Story brands Shinola Vianel Harrys
- C U R R E N T E X A M P L E S Harrys Like most of you, weve long had to choose between over-priced, over-marketed razors that disrespect your intelligence, and low quality, cheap razors that disrespect your face. We knew there had to be a better way, so we created Harrys as a return to the essential: a great shave at a fair price. C O D E S Simplicity Quality
- C U R R E N T E X A M P L E S Vianel The VIANEL design philosophy is simple - create unique, modern and functional accessories that reflect the essence of downtown luxury. C O D E S Connection Visible
- C U R R E N T E X A M P L E S Shinola Shinola, a Detroit-based company that produces watches, bicycles, leather goods and journals. C O D E S Effort Care
- S U B C U LT U R E Hipster Style/ bearded men
- Nicole Tyrimou, Euromonitor Beauty and Personal Care Research S U B C U LT U R E Hipster/ bearded men Firstly, we have seen mens shaving experience a slight slowdown in its growth, and thats mainly because of the new trend amongst men, of a more unshaven and natural look.
- BRIC growth1 2 Definition of 2014 men - Yummys vs. Bros High style vs. Function style K E Y I N S I G H T S
- K E Y I N S I G H T S BRIC growth Growth in the grooming market in developing and emerging countries may lead to diversi
- K E Y I N S I G H T S Yummys vs. Bros YUMMY high style BRO function style The Berluti artistic director Alessandro Sartori Harrys razors
- C L I E N T Saturdays Surf NYC is a minimalism surf shop with a namesake apparel brand, surfing goods, men's grooming products and an in-store coffee bar.
- C L I E N T Opened stores in Japan Hybrid retailing Has partnered with Baxter of California
- Create a stronger narrative around the brand 1 2 Keep it simple R EC O M M E N D AT I O N S
- K E Y I N S I G H T S Create a stronger narrative There is no more usand them in mens grooming More than just aesthetics Portraying the brand as a living thing with a history brings the customer closer
- K E Y I N S I G H T S Keep it simple Few clear choices Making it clear what each product does while maintaining an air of sophistication
- Thank you