The fault in our stars final (no plot need works cited)
Embed Size (px)
Transcript of The fault in our stars final (no plot need works cited)
- THE FAULT IN OUR STARS Presentation By: Nicolette Elliott-Gill
- AGENDA INTROTO MAIN CHARACTERS SUMMARY INTROTO WORLD ISSUE CONNECTIONS WITHWORLD ISSUE & TFIOS CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT CONFLICT THEME PLOT
- WELCOME TOINDIANAPOLIS INDIANA What first comes to most minds What comes to the minds of the characters in the novel
- Hazel grace lancaster 16 years old Stage 4 Thyroid cancer Oxygen Tank Parents want her to be able to a normal teen Force her to go to support group AUGUSTUS WATERS 19 years old Had osteocarcoma but is currently cancer free Has an amputated leg Goes to support group for their friend Isaac
- Augustus gets her attention in support group She and Augustus become close friends Hazel shares her favorite book, An Imperial Affliction, by Peter Van Houten with Augustus Augustus gets in contact with Peter & he invites them to Amsterdam to tell them the ending of the book Their friend Isaac is losing his other eye so that he can be cancer-free His girlfriend breaks up with him Augustus surprises Hazel & tells her that he still has his wish (from a foundation equivalent to the make a wish foundation) & he was going to use it to take her to Amsterdam The two have to convince her parents & doctors They organize the trip & go to Amsterdam with Hazels mom When they meet Peter he is drunk Hazel is angry and upset His assistant Lidewij takes her and Augustus out to explore Amsterdam.
- Augustus tells Hazel his Cancer has returned. When they get back to Indianapolis his health is deteriorating faster than expected. Hazel & Isaac even share their eulogies that they wrote for him at the literal heart of Jesus. Through all his sickness, Hazel stays with Augustus through every moment until his very last one. Hazel is torn apart and slightly depressed She gives a different eulogy than the one she had written him at his funeral Peter Van Houten is present at his funeral. She talks to him and he tells her he wrote An Imperial Affliction because he had a daughter who died of cancer. Isaac tells her that Augustus was writing something for her before he died. She goes on a search for the item of writing her mother is taking classes to become a Support Group leader She learns from Lidewij that Augustus wrote her a eulogy that he sent to Van Houten. The book ends with her reading the eulogy, which states that he hopes that she's happy with the choices she made.
- WORLD ISSUE MENTALILLNESSRELATED TOCANCER
- CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT AUGUSTUSWATERS Strong and happy Wants to leave his mark on the world When his cancer comes back he changes As his cancer gets worse, he becomes less and less like himself How it relates to world issue http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/pdq/supportivecare/adjustment/HealthProfession al/page1 Adjustment to Cancer: Anxiety and Distress May not be diagnosed with mental illness, but have characteristics Can sometimes affect a persons behaviour regarding his or her health Interfere with the quality of life of patients with cancer and of their families I hate myself I hate myself I hate this I hate this I disgust myself I hate it I hate it just let me fucking die. (Green 245)
- CONFLICT MAN VS. BODY/NATURE (CANCER) It is what brings Hazel & Gus together but is also what tears them apart Reason why Hazel is so reluctant to be with Gus Limits their time together and also their time with everybody else How it relates to world issue Cancer can change the way one acts towards friends and family Can add reluctance and hesitance to do things Fear of the future & recurrence All symptoms of anxiety and PTSD http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK4011/ ThePsychosocial Needs of CancerPatients "The fault, dear Brutus is not in our stars, / But in ourselves, that we are underlings. Julius Caesar (I, ii, 140-141)
- THEME FAMILY Hazel and Augustus parents worry about the both of them Theyre both annoyed by their parents at certain points like most teens are Although they love their family they sometimes dont appreciate the things they do How it relates to world issue HowCancerAffects Families http://www.caringtotheend.ca/body.php?id=204&cc=1 "You know we love you, Hazel, but right now we just need to be a family. (232) Caregivers/family members are also affected mentally Same symptoms as the person with cancer Common/intense anxiety or fear of losing the family member with cancer
- WORKS CITED