Terra Cognito Projects
Click here to load reader
Embed Size (px)
Transcript of Terra Cognito Projects
- 1. SCIENTIFIC/TECHNICAL
- 2. SITE SUITABILITY NEGOTIABLE CONSTRAINTSMore Important Less Important Skylines Slope Gas/Oil wells Geology Wildfire Wildlife Weighted Average Composite Developable Land Development Mask100-yr Flood Water Features Gas/Oil wells Setting the Constraint Threshold NON-NEGIOTABLE CONSTRAINTS
- 3. IMPACT ANALYSIS
- 4. VISIBLE RIDGELINE ANALYSIS Viewshed Analysis Visible Ridgelines Analysis View plane View plane Observer Observer Plan View Plan View 3D View 3D ViewHillside and ridgeline preservation is an important planning issue incommunities where scenic beauty and landscape integrity are valued.Current GIS tools can easily map visible hillsides and viewsheds, butmapping the actual ridgelines, where the visible areas meet the sky, ismore elusive. TerraCognito has created an automated ModelBuildertool and Python script for mapping visible ridgelines, adding morefunctionality to conventional viewshed analysis. Ridgeline analysis isparticularly useful in siting developments, facilities and equipment invisually sensitive areas.
- 5. COST-DISTANCE MAPPING Cost-distance mapping forms the basis for many of our spatial models including the proximity and travel time component of our development preference mapping process, as well as the trip distance component of our greenhouse gas emissions model.
- 6. COMMUNITY PREFERENCE MAPPINGTerraCognito GIS has developed apowerful planning approach thatobjectively maps the values ofcitizens and stakeholders regardingland development and landpreservation. Survey results, keypadpolling and other collaborativeinformation sources are analyzedand mapped to build consensusamongst various stakeholders.Key Benefits: Driven directly by values andpreferences Driven by local geography Not limited by hard land usepolygons Objective Repeatable Transparent Defensible
- 7. STRUCTURESArchitectural ModelsTerraCognito specializes in creating3D models representingterrain, buildings, landforms andother features that play an importantvisual role in planning. From simplemassing to photo-real architecturalmodels, TerraCognito can createrealistic models for regional andsite-specific projects.
- 8. TERRAIN & LANDFORMS Tree Species, Density & Height GIS Data Terrain Model Tree PhotosGIS-Driven 3D Visualization Ortho-photo DrapeNot just pretty pictures, Forest ModelTerraCognitos 3D visualizations are Landscape VisualizationGIS-driven, using scientific andtechnical information to createaccurate, realistic models andlandscapes. These can better informstakeholders and allow for bettermanagement and land use decisions.
- 9. SITE PLANNINGVisualizing the FutureTerraCognito transforms 2-dimensional site plans and landuse plans into compelling 3D representations of future growth. Existing conditions Plan at build-outThis improves public understanding and builds consensusamongst stakeholders, ultimately streamlining the publicapproval process. Street level view Roof top view Existing conditions Alternative A Alternative B Alternative C
- 10. SITE PLANNINGVisualizing the FutureTerraCognito transforms 2-dimensional site plans and landuse plans into compelling 3-dimensional representations offuture growth. This improves public understanding and buildsconsensus amongst stakeholders, ultimately streamlining thepublic approval process.
- 11. GROWTH MODELING/IMPACT ANALYSISEagle County Build-Out Analysisand Visualization, 2008-2010Client: Eagle County, ColoradoTerraCognito worked directly with EagleCounty, Colorado and the municipalitiesofAvon, Basalt, Eagle, Gypsum, Minturn, Red Cliff and Vail to perform a county-wide spatial-temporal build-out analysisand 3D visualization. Using ArcGIS andCommunityViz, a detailed existingconditions analysis of dwelling units wasperformed based on assessor and censusdata, followed by a numeric, spatial andvisual build-out analysis of existingzoning as well potential future land usedescribed in the municipalities MasterPlans. An elaborate visioning exercise Impact Analysis Animation (1970-2051)was implemented for the unincorporatedcounty using multi-criteria analysis andpreference mapping to drive futuregrowth scenarios. Later phases of workincluded an economic componentincluding a commercial build-outanalysis, existing jobs distribution, futurejobs allocation and impact analysis.Finally, the results were delivered inGoogle Earth format for viewing by theboth the planners and the public. Development Preference Model Customized Google Earth Visualization
- 12. REGIONAL PLANNINGdemand Growth Animations By matching land supply with the development demand, Terrasupply Cognito creates 4-dimensional depictions of future land use alternatives as they develop over land use allocation several decades.phasing Customized Google Earth Growth Animation
- 13. COMPREHENSIVE PLANNING Future Jobs & Housing Animation (2011-2060)Branson Comprehensive Plan, 2010-2011Client: City of Branson, MO and Design Workshop Inc.TerraCognito provided key analytical and mapping support increating Branson, Missouris comprehensive plan. A detailedexisting land use inventory was created and used as an essentialinput in a parcel-level build-out analysis which identifiedopportunities for in-fill and redevelopment. Multi-criteriasuitability analysis coupled with future demand scenarios andstakeholder preferences enabled the creation of several futureland use plans. Impact analysis was conducted on the land usescenarios including multiple indicators ranging fromjobs, wages, and housing affordability, to visible hillsidepreservation and greenhouse gas emissions.
- 14. DAM REMOVAL VISUALIZATIONElwha River Dam Removal VisualizationAmerican Rivers hired TerraCognito GIS to visually model two hillshade rasterproposed dam removals on the Elwha River in WashingtonsOlympic National Park. TerraCognito created interactive, photo-realistic, 3D visualization of existing conditions, as well as various random color rampstages of dam removal, including draw-down, riverbedrestoration, and re-vegetation. The visualizations were usedextensively by American Rivers throughout the settlementnegotiation process and in meetings with legislators, ultimately photo-realresulting in the impending removal of the Glines Canyon and Elwha sediment texturedams. Commencing in 2011, the dismantling of the Elwha andGlines Canyon dams will allow the river to flow freely for the f