Talent42 2014 - Elaine Wherry - Sustainable Recruiting
Embed Size (px)
Talent42 2014 Presentation by Elaine Wherry
Transcript of Talent42 2014 - Elaine Wherry - Sustainable Recruiting
- SUSTAINABILITY Elaine Wherry Talent42 June 2014 The Secret to Making Recruiting Surprisingly Easy
- Elaine Wherry Co-founder, CXO of Meebo @elainewherry
- 100 Mistakes A Graphic Novel about Leadership
- Your Problems 1. Engineers complain youre wasting their time 2. Your process is randomly based upon whomever is hiring that day 3. Managers want you to use the same job description as two years ago 4. Youre saying no to 99%+ of candidates 5. Leadership doesnt value how important recruiting really is 6. Every time you go to a recruiting conference, every presenter and organization says their process is more awesome 7. But updating your companys broken process is like asking people to volunteer for trepanation
- https://www.flickr.com/photos/acradenia/ What is Sustainability? Were in Seattle so it only seems appropriate to talk about sustainability.
- Sustainability 1. Self-reinforcing 2. Scalable > Makes your life easier! But Im thinking about sustainability from a different angle. As an entrepreneur, I love recruiting but I also want a process that is low maintenance, scalable, and makes everyones lives easier so we can apply our efforts where it makes the most sense.
- Dirty Little Secret: The worlds best recruiting practices arent enough
- Today: Three Stories 1. The problem employee 2. Sad panda 3. Honeypot
- Story #1: The Problem Employee
- https://www.flickr.com/photos/nazareth_college/ Hired Jonah
- https://www.flickr.com/photos/aguerra/ Difficult in meetings. People started to complain.
- https://www.flickr.com/photos/jessiejacobson/ Became fixated with a style guideline.
- https://www.flickr.com/photos/helga/ Started with a questioning approach. Didnt work.
- Then I tried a checklist.
- https://www.flickr.com/photos/jonathansloan/ Started working on things at night instead.
- https://www.flickr.com/photos/johnjoh/ And then falling asleep during the day! But didnt put it together that if he slept more, he wouldnt have problems staying awake in the afternoon.
- https://www.flickr.com/photos/dougliz/ Forget coffees, walks, etc. We were doing office sit-down weeklies. The feedback I was giving him was so direct and so harsh, almost any other person on my team would have cried. Hed nodd. But then in a week or two, oh hey, yeah I heard that but I thought this would make more sense. I couldnt win.
- https://www.flickr.com/photos/usfbps/ About 9 months in, breakthrough.
- https://www.flickr.com/photos/16210667@N02/ Youre a 2. A 2. And not a 2 with potential. A 2 that needs a lot of work urgently.
- https://www.flickr.com/photos/adriensteamboy/ Ooooooooooooh.
- https://www.flickr.com/photos/russelljsmith/ Oh no - shell tell you. I was a 2 last year!
- What Just Happened?
- Meebos great hiring process only selects the bestlike me! Jonas Perspective At the end of this, Jonah loved Meebos hiring process. Obviously it selected him, so how could it be wrong?
- Hey, maybe Im just a super awesome manager! Managers Perspective But I know better I was a mentally sharded, sleep-deprived founder who was stretched too thin. As much as Id like to take credit, it wasnt me.
- Lets Break it Down A problem employee: 1. Started interviewing 2. Became self-aware 3. Changed his behavior 4. Reversed his performance trajectory 5. Became a star employee 6. Became a recruiting advocate Holy cow. That stuff does not happen!
- 5 Parts of Culture 1. Hiring: who gets hired? 2. Ideas: Where do ideas and goals come from? 3. Decision-Making: How do decisions get made? 4. Accountability: How are people rewarded and held accountable? 5. Excommunication: When are people let go? Lets crack this open. In general, we usually think about it linearly. Id argue that recruiting is first and therefore most important. When an employee starts, how they help the business progress towards its goal, and how an employee leaves. But thats not totally true.
- Hiring We hire based upon the way team members will be reviewed. We are evaluated based upon the criteria for which we were hired. Review Making it Stick Were constantly hiring and were constantly being reviewed in an organization.
- Hiring Review Skills Team 110% Making it Stick When those two are linked, everything goes easier. It becomes self-reinforcing.
- Hiring Review More Typical Skills Team 110% Initiative Respect Strategy ! When that connection isnt linked, its a lot harder.
- Making it stick 1. Hiring and reviews reect organizations core values 2. Job description outlines criteria for success and future review 3. Both the employee and the manager have practiced discussing behavioral issues, making reviews easier 4. The metrics for hiring & reviews are more consistent across organization 5. The hiring process and the review process are authentic, meaningful, and celebrated What happens when these are linked together?
- You can have all of Meebos process. There you go our questions. Take out your iPhones now. But unless its connected to the rest of the culture, it wont matter.
- Story #2: Sad Panda
- This is our team circa 2008
- Chat Conversation hi elaine. hows it going. good. good. we need to hire 100x faster. can you own that? ummm okay
- What is Scalability? 1. One time set-up 2. Requires minimal eort, training, people, cost, or machines to grow
- Scalable or Not? Asking your Co-founder and CEO to handle tech phone screens when youre busy with a deadline
- Scalable or Not? Asking your Co-founder and CEO to handle tech phone screens when youre busy with a deadline Not Scalable
- Meetups Not Scalable
- Midterm Tees
- Midterm Tees Not Scalable
- Secret Jobs in HTML
- HTML Secretjobs Scalable!
- Hiring Recruiting-Savvy Managers with Talented Networks
- Hiring Recruiting-Savvy Managers with Talented Networks Mega Scalable!
- The Most Sustainable of All
- Story #3: The Honeypot
- 2010 Plan goal ! 2010 PLAN hire build Story - most difficult times of my career Become a self-sustaining business Web & UX teams - competitive edge, frameworks 25 - Google Tremendous pressure!
- alll-out crisis surprise!surprise!SURPRISE!
- honeypot is born 2am - used a domain I owned and made the honeypot