SVO General Meeting Sept 16
Transcript of SVO General Meeting Sept 16
Student Veteran Organization
General Meeting: 9/16/2013
• Welcome/Introductions• Lunch• Events• Budget• Discussion• Adjournment
• Any problems with benefits?• Any problems with classes?• Any problems with Professors?• Any problems in general?
Welcome: Mission Statement
• The mission of the Student Veteran Organization (SVO) at Salem State University (SSU) is to assist military personnel and their families in achieving their educational goals and to provide assistance through the transition process and beyond. The group strives to provide a successful and memorable college experience by providing social, academic, and career planning events and services.
Welcome: HistoryThe Student Veteran Organization was originally formed in 2009 by a group of Army veterans and R.O.T.C. Cadets under the name of the “Military Support Group”. Unfortunately, the original members soon graduated and commissioned into the Army and the group lost momentum and fizzled out. In 2012, a handful of passionate veterans rekindled the flame and the new Student Veteran Organization was born. In the few months since our re-launch we have grown to over 15 active members and have served as the voice of the student veterans on the Salem State University campus advocating for support, mentoring, and academic programs and policies.
Student veterans on the Salem State University campus have been recognized as natural leaders, as many veterans have taken lead roles in student government, Greek life, and other student life groups.
The SVO has a bright future ahead of it, and through partnerships with local resources, the organization is excited to move forward with future plans, programs, and initiatives that will overall support our mission of supporting Salem State student veterans.
Welcome: SVA• Approved Chapter of the SVA• 850 chapters nationwide• Leading the way of advocacy the G.I. Bill and Student Veteran
Support• We have been selected as the “Chapter of The Month” for the month
• Paintball Trip• Sunday Sept. 29th, 2013• $30 for SVO members; $40 for guests• Includes: Entry fee, Rental, Air refills, 500
paintballs, and Lunch
• Wednesday October 23rd
• $25 per person• Will be open to
Salute to Service Month
November 1st Massachusetts SVA Conference
November 4-8 Combat Paper Project
November 7th Military Family Workshop
November 9th Veterans Appreciation Luncheon
TBD Veteran Experience Panel
November 18-22 Community Service Week
TBD Veterans Oral History Project
Ongoing Other Events
SGA Base Budget $1200
Earned Revenue (2012-2013) $25
Salute to Service Funding $3000
Earned Revenue (2013-2014) $343
SVA Chapter Grant $2000
Total $6,568As of 9/16/2013
• Shirts• Events• Coins• Promotional Materials
Discussion/Questions?• What events would you like to see?• What should we buy?• How can we better support YOU, the
Student Veteran?• How can SSU be more Veteran friendly?• What can the SVO do for you?• Follow us on Facebook!
Have a Great Day!
“People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.” – George Orwell