Sulawesi: The world eco-capital to sustainable future
Embed Size (px)
Sulawesi is the major island in the disputed Wallacea ecoregion. Its complexity in geological formation drives the islands to be the most ecologically intriguing habitat in the world. It is the place to invest the conservation capital to mantain the world's future.
Transcript of Sulawesi: The world eco-capital to sustainable future
- Sulawesi: Eco-capital to the sustainabe future Johny S. Tasirin Ir.: Natural Resource Management MSc: Forestry and Environmental Science PhD: Geography and Environmental Studies
- Terrestrial ecoregion of the world
- Marine ecoregion of the world The Coral Triangle Marine Ecoregion
- 600 jenis mamalia 1500 jenis burung 400 jenis reptilia 300 jenis amphibi 4000 jenis ikan 30,000 35, 000 jenis tumbuhan 477 jenis palem Indonesia: harta keanekaragaman hayati dunia Sulawesi: Salah satu pusat keanekaragaman hayati dunia
- Sulawesi is the biggest island in the Wallacea bioregion and it has its own distinct biogeographic sections.
- High Biodiversity Unique Geological hystory Variable Ecosystems Species richness Endemicity Community structure Ecoregion distinction SULAWESI *Wilson, K.A. et al. 2006. Prioritizing global conservation efforts. Nature 440:337-340 an Endemic Bird Area (Birdlife) significant Ecoregion (WWF) the highest priority for conservation investment)* Sulawesi is: Number of species and proportion of endemicity of Sulawesi Animal group Endemic to Indonesia Endemic to Sulawesi Total Sulawesi Level of Endemisity Mammals 165 76 (46%) 127 60% Birds 256 84 (33%) 233 36% Reptiles 150 29 (19%) 104 28%
- To maintain the ecological health of Sulawesi Ecosystems Protection against alien species (pests, diseases, invasive species) - Sustainable agricultural - Sustainable land use - Healthy Biodiversity Protect the natural ecosystems - Rivers, coasts, mangroves, coral reefs, etc. - Social interactions Law enforcement and regional networking - Economic development within the sustainability coridors. - Biosecurity continuum principles