Strategies to build academic writing
Click here to load reader
Embed Size (px)
Transcript of Strategies to build academic writing
- 1. ITS NOT THAT SIMPLE! STRATEGIES TO BUILD ACADEMIC WRITING ACROSS THE CURRICULUM SYLVIA VAGO, ESL TEACHERENDEAVOUR SPORTS HIGH SCHOOL ESLIN WORKSHOP November 2011
- What teaching and learning strategies best support ESL/LBOTE students in writing paragraphs using academic language?
- ESL students have difficulty constructing sentences and paragraphs. (BICSCALP)
- Students have difficulty in integrating concepts and vocabulary in writing.
- Grammar taught should emphasise form and meaning in context of usage.
What are the issues? 4.
- WHAT ARE THE DEMANDS?
- Syllabus requirements: Richtasks/assessment tasks ~Content-driven learning
- Language requirements:explanation, comparison, deconstructing visual texts,
- Understanding cause and effect, graphs
- writing paragraphs in different text types
5. How to achieve it
- Backward map from assessment task to identify and plan language activities and strategies with KLA teacher.
- Explicit teaching Sentence structure, grammar and punctuation.
- Front-load information for better understanding
6. How to achieve it
- Critical thinking skills: sequencing/ questioning/discussion
- Scaffolds and models - message abundancy: concept and semantic maps and posters
7. What works
- Authentic texts: relevance to KLA
- Model and guided reading/writing of sentence structures (imperfect to perfect)
- Teachgrammar and sentence structure of text types: PPP (present-practice-produce)
- Scaffold the metalanguage: dictogloss, mix and match, jigsaw and cloze activities
8. The Digital Revolution: GET CONNECTED!