Embed Size (px)
Transcript of Sponges
• Simplest animal• Live in all oceans but prefer shallow tropical
waters.• Sessile• Asymmetrical body plan• Filter feeders – can filter several thousand
liters a day.
• Osculum – water out• Pores – water in• Collar cells (chanocytes) – filter food particles
2 Main types of “Skeletal” Tissue
• 1. Spicule – a spike shaped structure made of calcium carbonate
• 2. Spongin – a soft protein, tough elastic fibers.
Types of Sponges
1. Encrusting – Flat – found in turbulent waters2. Tubular – Tall – found in calm waters3. Boring – make holes in whatever they are attached to4. Pecten – found on living shellfish