Social Media Trends - July 2014
Embed Size (px)
Presented to the Shad Valley visiting students at MaRS Discovery District July 10, 2014.
Transcript of Social Media Trends - July 2014
- Social Media Trends how to rock the social interwebz with @karensd http://webtreats.mysitemyway.com/
- oops its not about the numbers
- see, I wasnt lying nothing on twitter dies
- wait, what did you just say? well, the numbers arent all bad
- ~@karensd Its not about the numbers.
- https://www.ickr.com/photos/ryanrasmussen 1.
- ~ Anne Morrow Lindbergh, Gift from the Sea Good communication is as stimulating as black coffee and just as hard to sleep after.
- Social media includes web-based and mobile technologies used to turn communication into interactive dialogue between organizations, communities, and individuals. ! ! In other words, you dont do social media you arethe social in social media.
- ~Walt Disney Of all of our inventions for mass communication, pictures still speak the most universally understood language.
- a picture paints a thousand words big data visualizers infographics memes
- ~Dr. James McQuivey (Forrester Research) 1.8 Million Words (the value of one minute of video)
- 4. https://www.ickr.com/photos/mkhmarketing
- ~Seth Godin Habits like blogging often and regularly, writing down the way you think, being clear about what you think are effective tactics, ignoring the burbling crowd and not eating bacon. All of these are useful habits.
- content. blogs. feed.ly
- ~Adam Carolla The podcast is as old as two people talking on street corners
- ~Gary Vaynerchuk When I hear people debate the ROI of social media? It makes me remember why so many business fail. Most businesses are not playing the marathon. They're playing the sprint. They're not worried about lifetime value and retention. They're worried about short-term goals.
- ~@karensd to what end?
- do your homework you didnt think you were going to get off easy, did you?
- get strategic yah, more homework
- its all about you and your business, baby and the other 299,999,999 users
- Twitter nd your community, and theres a community for everyone
- Facebook your living room, not your ofce
- Google+ ignore this platform at your own peril
- tools the homework never ends
- one tool to rule them all (and its a Canadian startup!)
- Tweetdeck native Twitter app
- take the time to learn. then start. good luck!
- Resources http://mashable.com/guidebook/twitter/ http://mashable.com/guidebook/facebook/ http://www.slideshare.net/danodigital/develop-your-digital-roadmap-tech- leadership-conference-2011 Curators Code: http://curatorscode.org/ Beth Kanters blog: http://www.bethkanter.org/ Feed.ly, RSS Reader: http://feedly.com/ http://www.marsdd.com/mars-library/the-data-visualizers/