Social media and peer-to-peer fundraising
Health & Medicine
Embed Size (px)
Transcript of Social media and peer-to-peer fundraising
Peer to Peer fundraising
and Social Media
Theory to Practice
Martin Campbell: Director of Innovation and Strategy: Blackbaud
More Events. More Fundraisers.
INSIGHT: Most fundraisers are new and lacking confidence.
• 80% of participants were first timers at the City2Surf
• 19% are primarily fundraising motivated.
• 40% of people who have fundraising as a primary focus raised over $1,000
• 36% had ‘low commitment’ to fundraising
• 30% were not confident of reaching their target
Segment communications into new and established. Inspire and give
Acknowledge the effort as well as the funds raised. Many people may not
reach their target but they should feel fantastic about choosing you. TIP
INSIGHT: A lack of clarity around what I can achieve leads to
• 43% report being disappointed with their own fundraising effort.
• Only 12% of fundraisers report being given a target to achieve.
INSIGHT: The 80:20 or 62:16 rule.
• 16% of fundraisers delivered 62% of the income
INSIGHT: A higher target is associated with higher income and
potential to exceed.
Focus efforts on the 16%. Identify them by ambitious but realistic target setting TIP
INSIGHT: Specific, tangible and personal – strongest influencers
Provide your fundraisers the information they need to make personal and relevant
INSIGHT: Be specific, tangible and personal – strongest
influencers of value.
Check that your fundraisers are following up their initial asks TIP
INSIGHT: Fundraisers who follow up initial requests raise more.
IS INTENTIONALLY LEFT
FREE OF GRAPHS
Consider P2P fundraising as a type of regular giving. Establish one or two key events
for them to join in each year. Frame beat your previous amount as a guide. TIP
INSIGHT: P2P fundraisers are willing to do more of the same.
Insight: Asking again.
9 months seems to be the optimum time for asking friends again.
Respect the time interval TIP
• 42% of donors say they would respond to specific ask
• 52% said they would of given more if asked
Suggest fundraisers ask for a specific amount that is more than $50
and will make a difference TIP
INSIGHT: Fundraisers are still not providing insight or guidance
on what to donate.
Develop a peer donor contact strategy. They could be your warmest leads. TIP
INSIGHT: Peer Donors may be your donors already.
Insight: Over 70% of fundraisers ran with a friend,
family member or as part of a team.
Use friends to recruit more fundraisers - Consider ‘member get a member’
• The psychology of teams is very powerful
• Teams report help with training and ‘companionship’ as the most important benefits.
• Fundraising help and advice is a secondary benefit.
Help team captains inspire fundraising TIP
INSIGHT: Get teams to focus on fundraising.
Major Community Events Performance
Measure The Age Run
Participants 26,500 85,000 40,000 44,700 39,0003
3 Year growth 270% 96% 217% 89% 184%
Funds raised 2012 $1,957,000 $4,175,000 $775,000 $725,000 $552,700
4,851 12,523 2,678 954 821
Conversion 18% 14% 5% 2% 2%
No active pages 2,490 5,093 1,146 726 645
% Active Pages 51% 41% 43% 76% 78%