SMX West 2011 - Ratings, Reviews & Reputation: Their Growing Impact On Search
Embed Size (px)
Transcript of SMX West 2011 - Ratings, Reviews & Reputation: Their Growing Impact On Search
- 1.REVIEW SIGNALS & TECHNIQUES Rhea Drysdale Co-Founder, Outspoken Media @rhea
2. REVIEW SIGNALS 3. Known signals from public records:
- Reviewer location
- Frequency of reviews
- Reputation scores
- Social network of user
- Content aspects
4. Google Assigns Reputation Scores to:
- Per Reviewer Rating patent:
- people, products, advertisers and merchants
5. REPUTATION SCORE OF USERS FRIENDS 6. USER PERSONALIZATION 7. USERS REVIEW HISTORY 8. Versus 9. Or 10. REVIEW CONTENT
- Preference given to those withsummariesand/ordescriptions
11. FRESHNESS 12. USERS OWN SOCIAL NETWORKS 13. What drives social results?
- Friends on:
- Gmail (with Google profiles)
- Friends websites (not shared, profile pull)
- Search social beta: &tbs=frim%3A1(or sidebar)
14. Aspects Early screenshots from Mike Blumenthal and Bill Slawski show aspects have been refined over time. 15. Common Aspects 16. Common Aspect Sources
- Niche local sites
17. Sentiment Analysis FLAWED! 18. SENTIMENT
- After DecorMyEyes update, Google said they took out:
- Extremely poor user experience
- No measurable result from the update.
- Details: googleblog.blogspot.com/2010/12/being-bad-to-your-customers-is-bad-for.html
19. KEYWORDS? Filtered from appearing on Place Page 20. FUTURE SIGNALS
- Improved sentiment analysis? Increased filtering of data sources and signals for irregularly high negative responses (DecorMyEyes)
- Transaction verification with services like Mint.com and SpendGo
21. QUESTIONS 22. Do you need reviews to rank in local?
- No , butReviews add relevant content and count as social indicators.Googles Related places on a review-free Place page will draw users eyes and potentially clicks drawn to:
23. Do you need to use hReview?
- No, butUsing hReview and structured markup helps Google correlate your pages with places mentioned. Can also add rich snippets to the SERPs, which may improve conversions.
24. More on hReview microformat
- Open standard for distributed reviews.
- Aims for simple properties common to multiple products, objects and services.
- More on hReview: microformats.org/wiki/hreview
- Implementing hReview with Wordpress: yoast.com/implement-hreview-wordpress-theme/
- Use microdata, microformat or RDF markup.
- Google assumes 1 (worst) to 5 (best) rating scale by default.
- Can use anything to classify rating,
26. Test your rich snippets!
- More on reviews (go to the source): google.com/support/webmasters/bin/answer.py?answer=146645
27. SOLICITING REVIEWS 28. According to Yelp on 3/8/11 @SMX!
- Talk about the site where youd like a review, e.g. Yelp.
- Use that sites services and offers to incentivize reviews.
- Create great content, services, products that users will want to review.
- Ta da!
29. Other methods 30. REVIEW SERVICES Check with your ecommerce solution! 31. CASE STUDY 32. ORM Problem Scope
- Very negative review appearing above the fold in the SERPs
- Negative source had optimized the page and built internal links to it
33. SEO Strategy
- Establish baseline
- Audit existing reviews
- Manage fake reviews & conflict of interests
- Create a testimonials page and strengthen internal/external backlinks
- Solicit testimonials through exit interviews
- Develop and promote off-site content
- Develop and publish video testimonials
- Publish testimonials and bulk up directories
- Niche directory
- Niche directory
- Social profile
- Social profile
- Press mention
35. THANK YOU
- @ outspokenmedia|@rhea