Saarang 2014 SpEnt Prelims with answers
Embed Size (px)
Saarang 2014 SpEnt quiz Prelims with answers. Cutoff was 22.
Transcript of Saarang 2014 SpEnt Prelims with answers
- Saarang SpEnt Quiz Prelims with answers Aravindabharathi R, Sahil Mathur, Shivamshu Prabhakar
- 1 He was born John Clayton III, and would have inherited his fathers title of Lord Greystoke, had fate not intervened. However, since he was presumed dead, the title instead passed to his cousin William Cecil Clayton. As a child, he accidentally put his inky ngers on his fathers journal. Much later, this helped prove his identity as the son of the former Lord Greystoke by a comparison of ngerprints. He and his cousin William shared the same love interest. William proposed to her rst, and after she had accepted, X decided to suppress his identity, since while it would take away his title and his lands and his castles, it would take them away from her also. Who are we talking about?
- Tarzan of the Apes
- 2 Identify the voice of this legendary commentator. Audio
- Steve Slater
- 3 The release of Enders Game earlier this year was met with protests from gay-rights groups. They called a boycott of the lm due to Orson Scott Cards history of anti-gay rights activism. In the original book, the aliens Ender is being trained to ght against are referred to as the Buggers, referring to their insect-like appearance. However, since it was also slang for gay men, a different term was used in the movie to prevent controversy. What alternate term, meaning ant-like and derived from the Latin word for ant, was used instead?
- 4. Complete the list. 1. Donald Bradman 2. Bill Ponsford 3. Wally Hammond 4. W. G. Grace 5. Graeme Hick 6. Brian Lara 7. Mike Hussey 8. Ravindra Jadeja 9. ?
- Cheteshwar Pujara
- 5 His real name is Svlad Cjelli, and the name he calls himself by is an Anglicised version of it. He is a pudgy man who normally wears a heavy old light brown suit, red checked shirt with a green striped tie, long leather coat, red hat and thick metal-rimmed spectacles. Although he is psychic, he refuses to believe in such things. Identify this holistic detective created by Douglas Adams, who might give you a bill for a vacation in the Bahamas for three weeks as part of an investigation, due to the fundamental interconnectedness of all things.
- Dirk Gently
- 6. What sport is being played here? Video
- 7 Ut queant laxis are a set of verses about John the Baptist, written by a historian named Paulus Diaconus. It goes something like this: Ut queant laxis resonare bris, Mira gestorum famuli tuorum, Solve polluti labii reatum, Sancte Iohannes. What were the rst syllables of each half-line of verse used to name? Ut, being a closed syllable, was later replaced with an open syllable in 1600. About a century later, the last syllable was renamed so that every syllable began with a different letter.
- The notes of Western music Ut queant laxis resonare bris, Mira gestorum famuli tuorum, Solve polluti labii reatum, Sancte Iohannes.
- 8 X are very popular in the world of sports today. However, they were only introduced in the twentieth century. The word X was introduced into English through a translation of a comic operetta by the French composer Edmond Audran. It originates from a provincial French word meaning sorcerers charm, faerie friend, or good luck piece. In Provence and Gascony, the word was used to refer to anything which brought good luck to a household. Whats the good word?
- 9. Identify the instrument and the raaga being played. Video
- Saarangi/Vrindavni Sarang
- 10. What is being celebrated here?
- Nepals qualication for the 2014 ICC World Twenty20
- 11* This company is the worlds largest manufacturer of tyres. It began tyre production in 1962, with the lauch of its rst product which had movable tyres. In 2011, it produced 381 million tyres, more than twice the production of tyre manufacturers such as Bridgestone, Michelin, and Goodyear. However, none of those three consider the company in question to be competition. Which company are we talking about?
- 12.* Identify these three sporting stalwarts.
- Haile Gebrselassie, Mo Farah, Kenenisa Bekele Venues for the US Open
- 13.* What novel is this parodying? Also name the 2010 cinematic adaptation it inspired, which is set in a high school.
- The Scarlet Letter, Easy A
- 14* The Tour de France is one of the three Grand Tours in cycling. Name the other two.
- Giro dItalia, Vuelta a Espaa
- 15* Actor Film Awards Dustin Hoffman Tom Hanks Peter Sellers Sean Penn Rain Man Forrest Gump Being There I am Sam Won, Best Actor Won, Best Actor Nominated, Best Actor - Sean Penns brilliant performance did not gain him many admirers in the awards circuit. This is the reasoning behind someones pithy piece of advice for other actors. What advice?
- Never Go Full Retard
- 16* Shiva Keshavan has carried the Indian ag in the opening ceremonies at Nagano 1998, Salt Lake 2002 and Vancouver 2010. But in February at Sochi, assuming he leads the contingent, he will not be able to do so. Why not?
- Answer Since the Indian Olympic Association is currently suspended by the International Olympic Council, the athletes are participating as Independent Olympic Athletes under the Olympic Flag
- 17* Among other things, it has been described as the television equivalent of ritual seppuku. The term reects a widely-held belief that since people would rather be out socialising at bars or watching newly-released movies at certain times during the week, those periods are not at all lucrative for television advertisers, who indirectly fund the shows in question. However, this is limited to the US, and in European countries, the very best programming is often scheduled for this time. Shows scheduled for this time often end up getting cancelled due to low viewership ratings. Victims of this include Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles, Prison Break, Firey, Dark Angel, and Dollhouse. What four-word phrase do we use to refer to this phenomenon?
- Friday Night Death Slot
- 18.* Name the two versions.
- 19* X is 99.1% chemically pure. X is made from the reductive amination of phenyl-2-propanone with CH3 NH2 . The reductive amination method described above is not a stereospecic one, and trying it out in the lab will result in a product which is half-decongestant. However, since many have vouched for the quality and purity of X, its manufacturer must be doing something we dont know to make the reaction chirally selective. It is perhaps this step that makes Xs creator extremely proud of the formula he uses to make X. What is X? Be very, very specic. (no chemical names.)
- Blue Sky
- 20* The X was originally performed by the singer and fans of a Welshlanguage punk group called U Thant. U Thants singer said he was inspired by the footage of attendants at the funeral of a controversial leader (which was broadcast live on British television), doing the movement to express their grief at his death. It quickly became very popular with the fans of Cardiff City and is performed by its supporters at every match. The X is performed by having both hands at pointing towards each other, raised above ones head, and repeatedly moving them up and down in a patting motion. What is X? Animated GIF
- The Ayatollah
- 21 Jambo