Registered Charity No. 105565 NEWSLETTER 137 February 2015 Registered Charity No...
Embed Size (px)
Transcript of Registered Charity No. 105565 NEWSLETTER 137 February 2015 Registered Charity No...
Registered Charity No. 105565
Registered Charity No. 1055654
One of Kathryn Conder’s pictures from the CAS/DAS joint expedition to Dartmoor last Spring. Read more inside about the scandalous goings-on at St
Pancras Church House, Widecombe.
There are also many more photographs full of sunshine from our members who visited Greece and Cambodia.
Valerie Maxfield introduces her successor from the AGM in April 2015: NICHOLAS JOHNSON
In introducing Nicholas Johnson I am introducing someone who is very much one of our own – someone who has devoted the bulk of
his professional life to the Archaeology of Cornwall.
Nicholas embarked on his professional career in Cornwall just a few years after I started
mine in Devon, and I have been aware, from my viewpoint on the other side of the Tamar,
ever since those early days, of the very major role which he has played in the County’s
archaeology. His career, firstly with the Cornwall Committee for Rescue Archaeology,
later transmogrified into the Cornwall Archaeological Unit and then the Historic
Environment Service of Cornwall County Council, mirrors the development of professional
archaeology within the County from the initial establishment of a national network of
professionally-staffed archaeological units and county Sites and Monuments Records –
as they were then known. Nick became County Archaeologist in 1988, retiring from
Cornwall Council 22 years later in 2010.
Nick was one of the early proponents of bringing Industrial Archaeology within the
archaeological mainstream – and where better to do that than in Cornwall – and he
played a major part in the laborious process of obtaining World Heritage Site status for
the early modern mining landscapes in Cornwall and West Devon.
He was awarded the MBE in 2008 in recognition of his service to Archaeology in
Nicholas Johnson is a Fellow of the Society of Antiquaries of London and a Member of
the Institute of Field Archaeologists.
He has propagated and disseminated Archaeology around the County – he has spoken on its archaeology to audiences local,
regional, national and international, to high and low, the great and the good; he has published widely, including two notable books
NEWSLETTER 137 February 2015
in 1994: with Peter Rose, 1994. Bodmin Moor: an Archaeological Survey. Volume 1: The Human Landscape to C 1800. Truro:
Cornwall Archaeological Unit.
and in 2003, Cornwall’s Archaeological Heritage. Truro: Twelveheads Press.
He has already seen service on your
committee and is, I believe, an extremely
appropriate person to take on the
Presidency of this Society.
I therefore commend him to you, most
warmly, as our President-Elect.
Cornish Award for Pip Richards.
CAS Trustees nominated Pip Richards of
the Sustainable Trust to be considered for
the award of Heritage Champion presented
by Cornwall Heritage Trust in memory of Sir
Richard Trant. Pip is the first woman to win
National Award for Carwynnen
The Carwynnen Team have won a second
award, the Marsh Award for Community
Archaeology presented by the Council for
This prestigious award was received by
project manager Pip Richards at the British
Academy in London last week. The project
had been nominated by community
archaeologist Richard Mikulski and Pip was
accompanied to the awards by lead
archaeologist Jacky Nowakowski.
Pip said, ‘It was quite a splendid event, and
hugely enjoyable to meet the UK’s leading
experts in the field. The prize money will
help us ‘seed fund’ the next project which is
in the early planning stages. It is a great
honour to be recognised in this way after
such a lot of hard work and we thank the
community that made this possible.’
Pip Richards, Jacky Nowakowski, broadcaster
and supporter Julian Richards, volunteer diggers
Katie Collins and Myarch Brett at the British
Academy (photo CBA)
The last phases of the project are still under
way and a commemorative book was
launched in December 2014.
Pip shows CBA president Dan Snow details of
the project (photo Myarch Brett)
To find out more about the diversity of the
Education and Outreach undertaken see
Email [email protected] to reserve a
copy of the book.
Archaeology in the National Curriculum.
One of our youngest supporters has sent his poem from a project on Anglo-Saxon weaving.
Weaving by Jake Stockley (age 8)
Weaving in ancient times Was very tricky You had to dye it with colours like lime But if the wool is wet it'll be sticky!!! The mats they made were fantastic The frames were made of bone Because they had no plastic At the end of each string is a stone.
A Celebration of the Tinworking
Landscape of Dartmoor in its
European Context - Prehistory to
the 20th Century’ Tavistock,
Devon, 6-11 May 2016
The tinworking landscape of Dartmoor is
arguably the finest in the world for its
extent, completeness, chronological range
and accessibility. Most of it falls within
Dartmoor National Park and much is on
open moorland to which there is
unrestricted public access. Although always
closely connected historically to the Cornish
tin industry, Dartmoor’s tinworking
landscape is quite distinct, as it lacked the
deep tin deposits of its neighbour and also
had an abundance of water resources. In
tinworking was on a relatively small scale.
Consequently, archaeological remains of
these and earlier periods (especially AD
1300-1700) are still of outstanding extent
Historically, the industry generated
significant wealth for the county of Devon,
being ranked as more important than
seafaring in about AD 1600. Much tin was
exported to Europe and beyond.
Hundreds of hectares of streamworks and
openworks survive, served by numerous
reservoirs and miles of leats. Ore was
crushed and smelted in waterpowered mills,
of which at least 100 survive
archaeologically. 200 accommodation
‘lodges’ have been identified on open
moorland. In the 19th
reached a depth of 500ft (152m), often
drained by pumping
waterwheels up to 60ft (18m) in diameter,
with horse-powered ‘whims’ used for
hauling. The largest mine employed up to
200 men, women and children. The
moorland industry survived until 1930 and
its last decades included innovative use of
water-powered turbines generating
electricity. From the 1860s onwards, much
was documented photographically. Superb
archives also exist.
To mark the 25th
anniversary of the
Dartmoor Tinworking Research Group
(www.dtrg.org.uk), and to coincide with the
anniversary of the UNESCO World
Heritage designation of the Cornwall and
West Devon Mining Landscape
conference, based in the stannary town and
World Heritage Site area of Tavistock, will
comprise lectures and full day field
The conference will celebrate the diversity
of Dartmoor’s unrivalled industrial
landscape, and will compare its features
and technologies with those of
contemporary tinworking areas of
continental Europe – Czech Republic,
Germany, France and Spain, as well as that
of Cornwall. A detailed programme for the
conference, and costings, will be available
on the website of the Dartmoor Tinworking
Research Group (www.dtrg.org.uk) from the
early Summer of 2015. To register an
interest in this conference, or for further
information, please send an email to Dr
Tom Greeves at
Buddle Boys at Golden Dagger Tin Mine
c.1910 (T. Greeves collection)
Cornish Hero: St Piran – Man of
Tin at RCM. Jane Marley
This year’s National Archaeology Festival event took place at Royal Cornwall Museum in partnership with CAS and the St Piran Trust on Saturday 19
th July. The family
friendly activities provided a chance for budding archaeologists to drop in and get involved in Cornish history and to make
brass rubbings, tin stamped Cornish crosses and Pilgrim badges to take home with them. Visitors were invited to bring along archaeological artefacts to be looked at and identified by experts at the Museum.
Notably, our local archaeological reconstruction artist, Jane Stanley, exhibited her work and sketched the event so that we have a record for posterity. Jane has since donated 2 of the works of art to the Learning Department Collection. There was also the opportunity to see the re-enactment of the St Piran’s story, make a Cornish flag and join in a procession with St Piran himself. The St Piran’s play starring Colin Retallick, as St Piran and other actors from the St Piran’s Trust was the highlight of the day and children very much enjoyed participating.
In Michael’s Tangye’s article, “The Travels
of a Samson, Scilly Mortar,” the church he
discovered after the tide had washed back
sand was of course St Samson’s Chapel,
not one dedicated to St Senara, who is the
patron of Zennor. Apologies to Michael.
This was completely my error. (Adrian)
LECTURE SUMMARIES. Liskeard 17th October
Paul Holden FSA [National Trust] The Lanhydrock Atlas, Paul began with the comment that the Atlas could be described as an archaeological resource; his talk showed that this magnificent collection of 380 individual maps, in 4 books represents a resource far outstripping such a description.
He explained that the National Trust found that there were no copies of this collection of maps and in view of fire risk and complications connected with that a way should be found to produce some form of copy. Eventually money was raised from the Piet Mendels Foundation which was being wound up and it was decided to film the maps and publish as a book to be available for research. The original maps would then be kept in a safe. Oliver Padel and Pete Herring joined Paul to provide expert help and advice; the final publication of the Atlas gives the names of the three persons involved in producing the Atlas which was eventually published by Cornish Editions. The cost of producing the Atlas in colour was considerable but necessary as the Atlas owes much of its splendour to the vibrant colours still showing on the individual maps. In fact it is as much a work of art as a tool for research. In the end 550 were printed and although expensive a considerable number have now been sold.
Paul’s slides showed the accuracy and depth of detail portrayed in the maps. It is not just the landscape that is portrayed but individual fields, leats, land usage and roads together with adjoining land holdings not owned by the Robartes. Although there is no evidence of authorship it is assumed that the surveyor was Joel Gascoigne who worked for about 3 years covering the very considerable distances between the various Robartes land holdings which stretched from Land’s End, through the Lizard, Penryn, Bodmin, North Coast, and towards Liskeard. There was little land held east of Liskeard. The information on the maps is immense, tenants’ names are included on each ‘keyway’ attached to the map and the acreage is expressed in both Cornish and Statute measurement. The accuracy is amazing remembering the survey work was done only using a wheel, at the end of the 17thC. Paul quoted some examples of the phenomenal detail shown on the maps; a pile of stones, and a small barrow were some of the many tiny landscape items drawn.
One of the many questions raised about the maps is why were they commissioned.
There are no extant records about their history, just that they were published in 1696/97. At that time the very large estate held by the Robartes – now the Earls of Radnor – was under pressure from family litigation. The 2
nd Earl – John Robartes –
had two wives and a great number of offspring. The entailed estate was not disputed but there was much litigation concerning the very widespread and diverse land holdings. Were they commissioned to help with division of the estate? The maps show no sign of being used to make such decisions, so probably not. It is possible that the maps were a sign of the important standing of the family and its wealth at the end of the 17thC but it is clear that the maps – all 380 of them – were not for displaying on a wall or walls.
He ended his talk with a slide showing Lanhydrock Garden in the 17
Earl was an absentee owner, living in his house in London and never actually residing at Lanhydrock. A wilderness garden is shown, but not clear if this was a sign of high status or not. Whatever the history or mystery surrounding the maps they are most certainly a fascinating and beautiful portrayal of the land owned by the Robartes family at the end of the 17thC.
Dr Robin Skeates: “An Archaeology of the Senses; Prehistoric Malta.”
Dr Skeates, who is editor of the European Journal of Archaeology, specialises in prehistory in the Mediterranean. He explained that earlier European archaeologists showed visual bias in their records and methods, but neglected the other senses. They concentrated on distribution maps, photos and plans, while Dr Skeates wanted to counter this bias by looking at the effects and roles of the other four senses when considering the material remains of prehistoric cultures. He illustrated his ideas by reference to the carved stone balls from Neolithic Britain, which surely had a tactile appeal in their use and meaning. Another British example was the interest in the echoing sounds around tombs and stone circles.
Aristotle listed five senses, but taste and smell overlap and it has been long accepted that emotion is a sixth sense.
Dr Skeates concentrated on the new multi-sensory approach to the artefacts and buildings in Malta and Gozo, which covered periods from 5200-4400BC and 1500 -
700BC. These he termed Early Neolithic, Late Neolithic, Temple Period, Bronze Age and Modern defined by changing styles of pottery or building interiors. Early settlers in Ghar Dalam (Malta) saw themselves as Sicillian because their buildings and chevron decorated pottery was almost indistinguishable from that in Sicily.
Later, in the traditional villages, there were rock-cut shrines which showed two distinct sensory domains, possibly to accommodate the synesthetic rituals of life and death. Some of the tiny interior windows may have been for priests to create other-worldly sound effects as worshippers or mourners passed through the larger rooms. During this phase the familiar corpulent “fat lady” sculptures appeared. In the mid 17
century Western antiquarian artists portrayed architectural remains in their own Colonial style, with “classical” figures filling the compositions more to give an air of “balance” and an air of primitive antiquity than to portray the real activities of the Maltese users of the buildings.
Dr Skeates worked through the five senses showing artefacts relating to each. He began with sight. A Punic lamp illustrated the need for light, while a greenstone cylinder with gold inlay and red polished stones suggested that “flashy” objects, with no particular practical purpose, gave people a sense of identity. Remnants of colour on interior temple walls and sculpture showed that people responded to lavish ornament, while the colossal size of the figure sculpture must have been visually overpowering. The temple at Tel Qadi contained a representation of the stars and moon.
Sound was represented by the oracle chamber at Hal Saflien Hypogeum and the audio-reverberating corbelled roof at the Mnajdra temple. By the Bronze Age, when the Mediterranean was a melting pot of ideas and travel, there was a Tarxian Cemetery figure with perforated mouth and ears.
Smell and Taste were illustrated by
representation of a fish at the Buggida temple and fig-leaf impressions on a ceramic vessel from Tarxian. A relief carving of a procession of goats reminded us that they would be eaten afterwards. A large pot carrying a relief-modelled face had a particularly large nose, perhaps to represent the sense of smell. In the Bronze Age travellers brought edible novelties such as olives and broad beans to Malta.
Touch was represented by the ubiquitous
large handles on pots and by alabaster figurines. What could be more sensitively tactile than a sculpture of an embracing couple?
The obviously controlled “flow” inside temples and the sleeping and sitting figure sculptures represented an emotional response towards these things. We should remember that sitting on specially built furniture has had to be learned by our species.
Dr Skeates’s book, “An Archaeology of the Senses” is published by Oxford Press.
A WALK FROM CARN BREA
TO GODOLPHIN HILL via
CARWYNNEN QUOIT. Paul
Carwynnen Quoit lies exactly on the straight
line between the top of Carn Brea (a major
Neolithic site) and the top of Godolphin Hill
(where there is also evidence of a Neolithic
settlement). This must not be a
coincidence. Was Carwynnen Quoit a
meeting point for the two communities?
Both Carn Brea and Godolphin Hill stand
out as prominent landmarks in their
neighbourhoods. Each is clearly visible from
the other. Carwynnen Quoit is about 5
miles from Godolphin Hill and about 3 miles
from Carn Brea. However, it is not possible
to see either hill from Carwynnen (even if
the trees were not there).
While it is not possible now to walk directly
between the two hills, in a straight line, a
number of ancient paths and modern roads
pick up some of the direct route. Also on the
direct route are several later historical sites.
We describe them, starting at Carn Brea.
The Neolithic settlement lies near, and to
the south of the castle. Walking up to the
monument we pass Iron Age hut circles and
the remains of the Iron Age hill fort. It is
interesting to look at the 1831 print by
J.Thomas (based on a picture by T.Allom)
which shows the summit before the
monument was built. There is a structure
which looks very like a Neolithic Quoit.
Presumably this was demolished to make
room for the monument.
1831 Print of Carn Brea apparently with a
Quoit on Western Summit.
Beginning the walk from the summit,
Godolphin is clearly visible on the horizon.
The path along the ridge of Carn Brea can
now be followed. As it dips down, on the
western side of the hill, Godolphin Hill
disappears over the horizon but two
standing stones appear. The left one is very
close to the straight line to Godolphin. Was
this a waymark when Godolphin Hill no
longer to be seen? There is no direct path
now, though one can go indirectly for a
short distance, to the top of White Cross
Hill, which lies on the straight line. The
name “White Cross” arises from the early
Christian cross which is sadly damaged and
no longer white.
Cross at the top of White Cross Hill.
An ancient path can now be followed
through fields and over stiles to Newton
Moor and the area decimated by former
mining. Going past Wheal Grenville mine
the route follows a path into the eastern
side of Troon, from where Carn Brea again
becomes visible behind one.
Carn Brea from east of Troon.
If one were able to follow the straight line
route it would cross the Camborne road and
go through the area known as “The Reens”.
Here lies the foundation of the early
Christian St Ia’s chapel (which is now
difficult to find). Now one has to take a
short diversion by road to Stennack and
regain the straight line through Stennack
Woods. This goes along an ancient path
past a number of (waymarking?) stones.
There has clearly been a lot of ancient
activity (possibly medieval mining or earlier)
in these woods.
The path almost reaches the field with
Carwynnen Quoit, but one is defeated by
the undergrowth for the last few yards. The
direct route would cross the small stream
into the Frying Pan Field. Here the first
feature met is a recently excavated but now
reburied structure which could be part of a
paved path about 100 yards down slope
from Carwynnen Quoit.
No obvious path can be taken beyond the
field to the west. One has to follow the road
past Hallegan to Gernick, from where one
then follows an old path over the fields and
stiles into Praze. Godolphin Hill reappears,
on the horizon, just before Praze.
Godolphin Hill from above Praze.
The point is reached where the tiny river
Beeble crosses under the road from Black
Rock. This road (and the river) go back into
the square at Praze (which lies on the
straight line). From there the route follows
the Leedstown road then diverts onto
footpaths through the Clownace estate and
the road to Horsedowns. (at the next
junction a “stone” is marked on the 1906
OS 6 inch map. Is this a waymark?) There
is an ancient path from here down the
valley of the Hayle river.
This is one of the most attractive stretches
of the walk following the river almost to
where it crosses the Leedstown to Helston
road. Again, on the 1906 OS 6 inch map
“stones” are marked along the route
(although it is difficult now to find them).
The path (now) becomes impassable, just
before reaching the road, as it is marshy
If it were (had been?) possible to proceed,
the route would cross the road at Binner
Bridge and carry on along the river.
However the land then becomes private
until a few hundred yards before Godolphin
Bridge. Instead one can leave the river and
go to Sunny Bank from where one can
cross the road and go, on higher ground,
past Binnerton Manor. There are remians of
an early Christian chapel here (close to the
straight line route). A path can be followed,
with Godolphin Hill now in sight,
descending eventually to the Hayle River
again a little way before Godolphin Bridge.
Godolphin Hill from Binnerton Manor.
At this point the river can be crossed by the
ford or bridge and Godolphin Hill climbed by
the present day route. In the past it may
have been possible to go up the hill by a
more direct route. Going up the hill Carn
brea is visible again, in the distance.
This walk suggests a number of questions.
Was Carwynnen Quoit of significance to
Neolithic communities from the two hills?
Were there paths from both to the quoit?
Did the path follow the Hayle river for much
of the way? Was a lot of the land forested,
making the designation of a path important?
Were there waymarking stones? Was
Carwynnen Quoit of significance to
inhabitants of the hills in later times (eg
Bronze and Iron Ages) and did they need a
route? Is the location of at least two early
Christian chapels on the route significant?
CAS Field Trips. Text and photos Kathryn Conder.
Picnic at Carmears Rock
The title of this CAS walk caught my eye with its allusion to the
Australian film ‘Picnic at Hanging Rock’. Still mulling on variations
on the theme of disappearance I met nine others in a small car
park near Ponts Mill on a rain-sodden Sunday morning; it was the
cusp of spring in the dense Carmears Woods. At first one’s
senses were overcome by the cut-off feeling in the steep-sided
valley with its moss-covered boulders, dank vegetation and
startlingly loud bird song. Archaeologist Peter Herring and
architect John Schofield then proceeded to transport us back to
the time, 1825-1850, when the Luxulyan Valley was in its heyday
and 1600 men were employed. It would lead to this area
becoming one of the ten Cornish Mining Heritage Sites today.
The beginning of the walk coincided with what had once been the
start point of a ten-mile round carriage drive in elegant barouches
in the 1840’s. This contrived aesthetic experience was part of the
Designed Industrial Landscape extolling Joseph Treffry’s mining
endeavours. Victorians would enjoy a day out being seen while
marvelling at the wonders of the viaduct with the water for the
enormous water wheel being released in a controlled and
spectacular waterfall on Sunday afternoons. It can perhaps be
seen as an early version of a theme park.
Our Sunday morning walk though began in a north-westerly
direction following the River Par as it meandered along the floor
of the Luxulyan Valley. Although the steep terrain precluded
settlement the resources of the valley were apparent; wood for
fuel, waterpower, granite and there is evidence of early tin
streaming in the valley.
Cornwall’s industrial revival began with Treffry acquiring the
nascent local copper mine at Lanescot, later to become Fowey
Consuls. He overcame obstacles to extracting and processing the
copper ore by reconstructing the harbour at Par, diverting the
River Par, installing locks and a long-inclined plane up to the
copper mine itself. Luxulyan Valley, lying slightly to the west,
became involved when a leat was built south of Gattys Bridge to
provide power for the mine. Increasing demand for power to
access deeper into the mine required that a wooden aqueduct
was next constructed around the front of the sheer face of
Carmears Rock. Then Treffry constructed a massive waterwheel
combined with the Carmears incline plane to enable access up
onto the moors at Luxulyan. Bridging the Luxulyan Valley was
achieved by the completion of the Treffry Viaduct in 1842. Not
only could it convey a new leat as an aqueduct to power the
Carmears Wheel but also carry the tramway to Luxulyan. It is now
a Scheduled Ancient Monument.
On our way to the viaduct we saw the site of John R. Smith’s
Cornwall Archaeological Unit survey ‘The Luxulyan Valley Project’
completed in 1988. This was the first of three phases and was
achieved with the tricky remit that no vegetation or debris be
Indeed the valley is now predominantly a haven for wild life, fauna
and flora. We saw some spectacular tree fungi, heard owls
hooting and also saw two deer. Its seclusion is preserved by the
narrow winding roads which limit access.
The walk ended with no disappearances and us all returning to
our cars. There is a further film reference however in that the
viaduct was used in 1981 as a prop for the film Omen III – it
featured a priest falling backwards off it!
Carnon Downs CAS walk
This unsuspecting looking building is a former Kiddleywink Inn
where illicit alcohol was served from a kiddley (kettle) on a
knowing wink given to the patron. Its location on a busy
crossroads (now quieter since the bypass was built in 1991) is an
indication of the importance of the position of Carnon Downs
linking Falmouth and Truro. Various modes of transport proved to
be a dominant theme for the day all centred round the mining
industry. Later that afternoon we would walk across the
packhorse bridge at Penpol Creek used in the transportation of
minerals by horse to ship. However, in the morning we began by
walking over the Carnon Viaduct which traverses the Carnon
Valley; opened in 1933, it replaced Brunel’s earlier wooden
structure, intrinsic to the extraction of tin and copper in the 19th
century. The viaduct was initially a horse-drawn mineral railway
line but also carried timber for mine props and later steam
engines with coal from Wales used in copper and iron ore
smelting. As the industrial revolution took apace so did the
extraction of copper but as resources dwindled so did the
surrounding infrastructure. By the 1860’s the copper boom was
over. The railway coincidently also brought bricks to the area
which transformed local houses and one of our guides pointed
out several examples including the effect it had on the various
styles of chimneys.
Other highlights of the day included seeing one of five Bronze
Age barrows preserved in the middle of a housing estate, the
remains of another can be seen in a field, yet another is under a
bungalow, and the whereabouts of two others are unknown. At
one point we stood and contemplated the origin of the place
name Carnon Downs and wondered if its origins were the five
barrows which would have been distinctive in the landscape. The
walk also took in Quench Well, several old iron water pumps, and
an old red telephone box converted into a book-borrowing store.
There were many hidden gems to be discovered on this
Joint CAS/DAS Dartmoor walk with Debbie
Twenty of us met in the car park before proceeding up the clitter
slope to the soaring granite Houndtor. We were led down a
narrow path around and down to a more fertile area crossing a
line of springs and ancient ridged, ploughed field strips to the
Houndtor medieval settlement itself; referred to in Domesday
Book as Hundatora.
Debbie Griffiths at Houndtor.
Although pottery dating to 1250 BC has been found the most
visible archaeological remains are those of the long houses
discovered by Norman Quinnell in 1953 and excavated a decade
later by Mrs E. Marie Minter. Here we could walk inside and
contemplate commensal living with only a low wall separating
humans from animals.
One of Debbie’s laminated handouts showed the area liberally
peppered with random stake holes which prompted her to ask us
for ideas; leaving one speculating about animal tethering and the
rebuilding of turf houses. The waist-high existing walls have since
been glued together by epoxy resin to preserve the structures.
Apparently when it came to examining Mrs Minter’s archive
Debbie said it consisted of just one sheet of paper with ‘6 inches’
written on it but many photos. Guy Beresford subsequently
described the site and the later building of corn-drying barns as
indicating an increasingly wetter climate. The abandonment of the
site is seen to coincide with the Black Death in 1350.
We then took a detour back to the car park via a stone circle
before driving into Widecombe for lunch. As we crossed the
village green, with its ancient horse chestnut trees, Debbie
mentioned it was used as an archery butt in the Middle Ages and
is called Butts Park.
Next we drove out of the village to see Hutholes; another
deserted medieval settlement and also excavated by Mrs Minter
in the 60’s. Debbie recounted how on one occasion she had
locked her car keys inside her car during a rainstorm and
knocked on the door of a local farmhouse to use the phone. The
owner turned out to be Hermon French who also owned the land
Hutholes was on and the encounter resulted in his allowing free
public access to the site today, together with an archaeological
interpretation board. Because of controversy over Mrs Minter’s
explanation about the site further excavations were carried out in
the 90’s. Totnes pottery was found as it was at Houndtor.
Finally we made our way back to Widecombe where Debbie
pointed out Sexton House, a former Church House, next to St
Pancras Church. It was used for ale brewing, bull baiting and
dancing before puritanism and the ban by James I in 1609 finally
put a stop to the use of Church Houses for any licentious
A CAS encounter with Stonehenge.
6th October 2014. Photos and text Jane
On a beautiful early autumn morning, 22 CAS members were
picked up from various towns around the county heading toward
Exeter Service station to meet the final 3 travelling companions
and have a midmorning coffee before being driven to on
On arrival, we were met by Susan Greaney - Senior Properties
Historian for English Heritage – who invited us to have a very
welcome drink and piece of cake whilst giving a short talk. She
introduced us to the site, the changes to improve the visitors’
visual experience by returning Stonehenge to its situation within
the original landscape and the evolution of the stones within the
The demolition of the old visitors’ centre opened out the
landscape and has restored the link between Stonehenge and the
Avenue. Even the road along which the road train travels has
been tarmacadamed with green chippings, thereby not spoiling
We had three hours to explore the site. The new visitors centre is
about 2kms from the stones. The journey to the stones can be
made on foot or in a shuttle Landrover train. You can be driven all
the way or alight halfway at the Fargo Plantation and walk across
the landscape, amongst the barrows with the cursus to the left.
We were so fortunate with the weather being ideal for walking
and the visibility across the landscape excellent. Outstanding
information boards were located at strategic points around the
area and it was possible to make use of pre-recorded machines,
which at the press of a button supplied the appropriate
information for the site location.
The site was busy, but once close up to the stones it seemed the
mass of the people evaporated. It was very easy to obtain
photographs of the stones without them being ‘blighted’ by the
presence of visitors.
The visitor centre is intriguing with external metal uprights and
the overhang of the roofed pierced to give the effect of dappled
light as it appears when walking through trees. Inside there is a
division between the education room, shop and cafeteria and the
Walking into the museum you passed through a circular ‘room’ on
which the evolution of the henge through the eras and times of
the year was projected onto the walls. This, I found, was quite
enchanting. The museum is then encountered, with artefacts and
information cleverly displayed in cabinets and behind acrylic
screens. Perhaps a negative aspect was that the cabinets were
quite dark and it was difficult to see the contents with precise
clarity. This possibly may have been to protect the contents.
Interestingly a global time line was displayed which showed what
was being developed and when in relation to the evolution of
Stonehenge. Outside were several replicas of Neolithic houses,
which it was possible to enter and see the contents and layout.
There was also a monolith on a wooden sled, showing how it is
believed that the stones were possibly transported across the
All too soon it was time to head homeward. As we travelled along
the A303, Henrietta pointed out the various prehistoric
monuments we passed along the way, giving interesting
information on each.
It was an enjoyable trip, made clear by the members as they
alighted from the coach. Even the coach driver joined us at
Stonehenge. Just very sad that Steve Hartgroves, who had
arranged it all, was poorly and couldn’t enjoy the day. It was
suggested that another trip should be arranged, possibly over a
Lindos, on the island of Rhodes. Adrian Rodda
The island of Rhodes contained three city states which co-existed
well, mainly because they complemented each other. Ialysos,
Cameiros and Lindos. Realising cooperation and peaceful
coexistence would be their best defence against invasion from
the east, they formed a solid federation. Each region had its own
geographical advantages and disadvantages. Cameiros was
surrounded by good farm land and faced the prevailing winds
bringing adequate water. Ialysos was almost as blessed, but my
first impression of Lindos and its surroundings was that we had
come to holiday in a stone quarry. The Lindians looked to the sea
for their prosperity, controlling the narrow straights between
themselves and Asia Minor. They acquired a strong fleet and
between the 8th
centuries BC was a commercial and naval
At the highest point of their citadel, with sea on three sides, was
the temple of Athena Lindia. Today, like the pilgrims of ancient
times, tourists struggle in single file up the steep path, sheltered
in places by olive trees, to visit the acropolis and its temples.
Exedra and ship base for statue, Lindos.
Just before the steepest climb there is a surprise, a resting place,
an exedra, a semi-circular seat. Next to it is an even greater
surprise. We are used to remarkable Greek statues in museums
or amongst temple ruins, but they are generally free standing or
set up on Doric temple eaves. Here is something carved into the
living rock: a relief representation of a ship’s stern, with its
elaborate seat for the helmsman. This was the base for a bronze
statue of Hagesandros, son of Mikion, who was honoured by the
Lindians with a gold crown, a statue and the privilege of front
seats at the games because of his virtue and goodwill towards
the city. He was probably an admiral, hence the naval setting. It is
thought that the work was done early in the 2nd
century BC by
Pythocritus, son of Timocharis, who is also credited with the
Victory of Samothrace in the Louvre.
The Rhodians respected this part of their heritage so much that
they reproduced it as a war memorial in the main town of Symi, a
the nearby island. (See below.)
What would our society imitate from our Heritage? Indeed would
our society respect its heritage enough to want to imitate it?
Truro Cathedral and the Houses of Parliament, built in the Gothic
style, show us which aspects of our heritage the Victorians and
Edwardians valued. What would our contemporaries choose for
their “Gothic Revival”?
From Pasties to Pagodas – my weekend in
Spending the remnants of my student loan, I travelled to Cambodia
during April 2014, coincidentally over the national Khmer New Year.
Having read about the “City of Temples” at the Angkor Wat
Archaeological Park before my undergraduate interviews for a
place at university last year, Cambodia has topped my ‘to visit’ list.
Flying into Siem Reap, I fulfilled the dream, experiencing a series of
manic driving styles from the moment I stepped off the aircraft. By
means of the fondly named ‘tuk-tuk’, we cycled first to the temples
of Banteay Kdei and Ta Prohm, while Angkor Wat itself was saved
for the last day. The entire archaeological park extends over 400
square kilometers, containing a multitude of different temples
whose construction dates from the 9th
to the 15th
would have functioned as the capitals of the Khmer empire.
Banteay Kdei (meaning “a Citadel of Chambers”) was a labyrinth of
narrow corridors and archways, while Ta Prohm showed the extent
to which the jungle has reclaimed the architecture of Angkor Wat. In
true Tomb Raider style, we scrambled through every passage and
tower bound by the roots of colossal Banyan trees, feeling every
inch the archaeologist. Angkor Wat, the most famous sandstone
temple complex in the park, is the largest religious monument in the
world, built around the twelfth century as a Hindu, and later
Buddhist, sanctuary. Fine relief carvings cover most of the inner
walls, where Buddhists still come to make offerings with incense
and flowers. The view from the inner most temple, complete with its
iconic cones, was one I will never forget.
Additionally, I visited the Angkor National Museum, which I cannot
recommend enough. It is a carefully planned, modern and
innovative space, filled with artefacts and accompanied by
stimulating exhibitions highlighting the transformations at Angkor
during both its modern and ancient occupation. A key element of
the museum was the incorporation and presentation of
archaeological research into the history and material culture of the
site, which provided an amazingly insightful and immersive journey
through the heritage and preservation of this breathtaking collection
Whether it was the high-speed tuk-tuk journey along the dusty
tracks of rural Cambodia, or the astonishing beauty of the temples
themselves as very much a modern and functioning entity firmly
rooted in ancient architecture, never has a lust for adventure been
Bryony lives near the Hurlers and studies Egyptology at UCL.
ARCHAEOLOGY IN CORNWALL
NOV. 2014 SUMMARIES.
Henrietta Quinnell (Exeter
Aspects of the Bronze Age worked
stone assemblage from Tremough
A Bronze Age settlement at Tremough had been excavated in 2002. Further work in 2010/11 revealed further activity dating to the Early Bronze Age Middle and Later Bronze Ages.
There was a rare EBA house, which consisted of an irregular post circle for which there was no real comparison, although reminiscent of timber circles sometimes found under round barrows. Finds were sparse. There was some Trevisker style pottery, both cord impressed and incised, the former of an unusual design. All the stonework had been deliberately broken and deposited in post holes. There were parts of a muller, a fragment of a saddle quern and whetstones. All had been sourced from 5 to 10 kms of the site, which is normal for Cornwal in the Bronze Agel. It had taken some effort to break up these stone artefacts. There was a rubbing stone for leatherworking and a cassiterite pebble, which probably came from the Carnon River.
There were two hollow-based round houses from the Middle Bronze Age period. One was fully excavated and the other protected. The postholes of the first house showed rebuilding and structural changes. A range of dates revealed that it had been lived in for some time. Dates were 1501-1400calBC; 1441-1407calBC; 1415-1252calBC; 1429-1297calBC. The infill of the scoop contained part of a Trevisker vessel, not as large as the one at Boden, from which some sherds had been chosen for deposition and other pieces rejected. There was a copper-alloy ring, typical of the “Ornament Horizon” dated to 1400-1250BC
Of most interest were the stone moulds on the floor of the house, made from elvan and other easily worked rocks. There were fragments of bi-valve moulds. Several of the elvan moulds were for ring headed pins of the “Ornament Horizon” period.
An exciting find was one half of a bi-valve mould, itself broken into pieces, made from fine grain greenstone, possibly from West Cornwall. It was designed to cast an early socketed axe with a rib, for which there was no comparison in the Middle Bronze Age. (This had been initially
classified as a palstave, the usual Middle Bronze Age axe.)
Ring headed pin mould. Picture CAU.
Another mould of volcanic tuff, possibly form the Lizard peninsular or Mount’s Bay, was for chisels. An elvan mould created a socketed hammer. This collection of moulds is unique in the British Bronze Age and as a find in a Cornish house.
There were traces of metalworking debris, but no evidence of smelting. Possibly associated with mineral processing were two broken stone pestles, which had been used on something hard. They were made from Devon quartzite, sourced in Budleigh.
Not all the stone tools had been broken; a stream cobble of sandstone had possibly been used as a whetstone. A beach cobble of aplictic granite had probably been used as a pestle on ore. There was a dolerite beach cobble, most likely a rubbing stone, and a double ended pestle made from a very hard material.
A circular enclosure, so far unique in Cornwall, was dated to the 10
th or early 9
century BC, the Late Bronze Age. Internal structures were rectangular and associated with Late Bronze Age Plain Ware pottery.
Deliberately broken deposited stoneware included a muller. There was a pit full of burnt stone and a tip of a clay sword mould, along with fragments of other moulds, some probably for socketed axes. There were two unusual multi-faceted grinder/cushion stones made of Lizard soft tuff and talcose, probably used in finishing metal castings. The only comparand for these come from the Late Bronze Age site at Higher Besore, Truro.
(The full report is to be published by the Sidestone Press, Leiden. A.M Jones, Gossip J and Quinnell, H eds. Settlement and metalworking in the Middle Bronze Age and beyond. New evidence from Tremough, Cornwall.)
Thanks to Henrietta for correcting a draft of this summary. Other summaries from the Symposium will appear with the June newsletter.
Notice of a Conference:
Celebrating 1,000 Years of
The Cornish Buildings Group in conjunction with the Cornish Heritage Trust, Yale University Press and the National Trust will be staging a conference early in 2015 to celebrate the best in the county’s architecture. Over two days 18 speakers will present papers on topics ranging from Romanesque, medieval and Tudor sculpture and buildings to the Victorians and their impact on how we see the county today.
Paul Holden, Chairman of the Group said ‘This is the first conference in Cornwall about our Cornish built heritage. It is in part a celebration of the new Pevsner guide of Cornwall but also to highlight the importance of buildings in a county noted for its scenery’.
Amongst the speakers are Peter Beacham, author of the new Pevsner guide to Cornwall, Charles O Brien from Yale University Press, Ann Preston-Jones from English Heritage, Paul Holden , Jo Mattingly and Patrick Newberry from the Cornish Buildings Group and amongst many noted scholars are Alex Woodcock, John Allan and Jeremy Pearson.
Mr Holden added ‘This is such an exciting prospect to hear noted scholars speak on a diverse range of topics including Cornish churches, sculpture, country houses, the Gothic Revival and noted Victorians such as James P St Aubyn, George Wightwick and Charles Lygon-Cocks. In addition a session on the 20
th century will take us up
to the modern era and beyond’.
The conference will be held at the National Maritime Museum in Falmouth on 6 and 7 March. Tickets for the
conference are still available. More details and booking forms can be found on the Cornish Buildings Group website https://sites.google.com/site/cornishbuildingsgroup/ or on email [email protected]
St Piran’s Oratory Uncovered
The Oratory had been excavated in 1835
by William Michell of Truro. It suffered
from thieves and vandals and soon succumbed to further sand blows. The local curate, William Haslam, dug it out again in 1842, but it refilled with sand. In early 1890s some gentlemen dug out the interior, but the weight of sand on the outside threatened the stability of the walls.
photo courtesy RIC
In 1910 it was decided to cover the oratory
with a concrete shell.
photo courtesy James Gossip
The walls were shored up with steel and concrete beams and red brick buttresses.
photo courtesy Abigail Brown
The vandalised S doorway was restored in brick. Michell had found a rather beautiful structure with Norman carvings and 3 crudely sculptured heads. Little remains of the Norman jambs framing the doorway, but the heads had been sent to the British Museum. Haslem had rebuilt and realigned the altar. The nave wall benches were still to be seen.
A report from the DoE said: “..it is now a very bad C20th century rebuild held up by a concrete corset.” The local and national authorities decide to bury the whole thing. The oratory would be filled in through the skylights in the shell and the roof would be removed, along with much of the concrete walls, to be dumped in the hole dug to find sand for the refill.
So why dig it out again? The St Piran’s Trust is dedicated to restoring the oratory to view because it is seen as iconic of Cornish identity and of spiritual value to many Cornish people.
The work was planned in 2 stages. The uncovering during Stage 1 would enable experts to assess the state of the building and decide on its preservation and to make a bid to HLF for Stage 2, which would evaluate the environment, identify the area of the cemetery and possibly how long it was in use. Michell had dug a smaller building he named St Piran’s Cell and other related buildings.
photo courtesy Eustace Long
The wettest winter in living memory had raised the water table and flooded the space around the sand dune. But up to 40 people assembled every day to dig the turf layers, delve into the wet sand and push barrows.
They worked down in neat terraces and exposed some of the roof which had not been buried elsewhere.
photo courtesy Eustace Long
After 15 days digging they had exposed the tops of the walls, but were already ankle deep in water. The wet sand was heavy to shovel and barrow. Pumping was not enough. It had to be left to dry out.
The driest summer allowed diggers to return in November to finish the job.
Bones were lifted for scientific examination.
Truro Winter Lectures 2014/15
Thursday evening at 7.30pm Truro Baptist Church, Chapel
Hill. Truro. TR1 3BD
12 February Dr Ben Pears.
AS Archaeology: Digging dirt:Anthropogenic soils in Cornwall: a rare
archaeological resource. Anthropogenic soils are deposits created either deliberately or accidentally as a result of human occupation or as a conscious attempt to increase the quality of farmland. In many cases it can be the only evidence of human activity in a landscape as more traditional archaeological features are not present. This presentation will illustrate case studies of sites around the world where these deposits have been identified and then discuss sites in Cornwall where current research is being conducted using geoarchaeological techniques and finally look to the future of these key resources.
12 March:Dr Kate
Verkooijen: Making Beads in Bronze Age Britain faience and amber (with hands on display) Archaeological finds show that during the Bronze Age, the exotic ‘new’ materials of natural amber and man-made faience started to be used in Britain. Although only in very small quantities, these represent some of the most spectacular artefacts from this period. In this talk Dr Verkooijen shares insights about her practical work and her research findings as well as bringing along the actual things she has made for people to handle/look at.”
Saturday 18 April AGM 3.15. Julian Richards: ‘What’s
wrong with archaeology?’ There have been a lot of changes in archaeology since I started working in this field (pun intended) over 40 years ago. Some have undoubtedly been for the good: better wages and a genuine career structure, huge advances in scientific techniques and an obligation on the part of developers to fund investigation. Archaeology has also
become ‘popular’ with a time around the millennium when you couldn’t escape it on TV and it was even hailed as the ‘new rock and roll’. So what’s wrong? You will just have to come along and find out, but rest assured, it’s not all doom and gloom and won’t be just a ‘veteran’ archaeologist auditioning for a part on ‘Grumpy Old Men’.
The proposed additional lecture in May, from David Jacques on Vespasian’s Camp, Avebury, is to be held over until the next lecture series in 2015-16.
Liskeard Winter Lectures Friday evenings at 7.30pm St.Martins Church Hall, Church Street, Liskeard. PL14 3AD
20 February: Prof Michelle
Brown: The Bodmin Gospels, Cornwall's Earliest Book This talk will consider the materiality of the Bodmin Gospels, a Breton Gospel book which served as the Book of the High Altar at St Petroc's, Bodmin, from the 10th century and which contains manumissions containing early Cornish names. It will discuss its significance and its place in the history of Cornwall during the early Middle Ages.
CAS WALKS 2014 -15 Members joining these walks must ensure that they are appropriately dressed and equipped for the terrain and the weather conditions likely to be encountered. You should assure yourself that you are physically able to meet any challenges which the walk may entail and should discuss with the walk leader, prior to the start of the walk, any circumstances or conditions which might be relevant. The Society is concerned for your welfare,
but it is not responsible for it.
Sunday Feb 15th - Tregony
Historic Town walk with Graeme Kirkham (CAU).10:30 -13:00; Meet in the Square in Tregony (by the war memorial)(SW 9243 4484) Wrap up warm! For cancellations, etc, ring 01872 863308
NB: Lunch in the Kings Arms is optional and you are advised to book in advance (01872 530202)
The first reference to Tregony (as Tref Hrigoni) is in AD1049, and the town was a significant port in the medieval period, having a castle, a priory, a church and a chapel. The castle, a motte and bailey earthwork, was built by Henry de Pomeroy in the time of Richard I (1189-1199), and was still standing in 1540, but no trace remains today. Much of the town's rich history is, however, still visible – find out more on this easy morning stroll round the town and then warm up and have lunch at the Kings Arms in Fore Street.
Sunday March 15th - Hillfort,
rounds and field systems on Tregonning Hill with Steve Hartgroves. 11:00 – 16:00; Meet at at Balwest (SW 5960 3000) using the car park in the field behind the Sunday School; picnic lunch, stout footwear and appropriate clothing advised – Castle Pencaire is a windy spot (but the views are amazing)! For last minute cancellations, etc phone Steve at 01872 863308.
Castle Pencaire is a massive fortification on the summit of Tregoning Hill west of Helston. On the northern slopes of the hill are two rounds set amidst and extensive area of strip fields. Are these three aspects of the site contemporary, or do they represent a sequence of activites spanning several centuries? Review the evidence in the field with Steve Hartgroves, ex-HES Information Team Leader.
Sunday April 26th A Morning
walk along the Bude Canal with Colin Buck (CAU) 11:00 – 13:00; Meet in the car park by the Tourist Information Office. Stout footwear and appropriate clothing advised, dogs welcome but on a lead. For last minute cancellations phone Colin on 01579 363013/07968892144. Several options exist for Lunch in Bude after the walk: The afternoon can be spent exploring Bude itself, or the amazing geological formations of the cliffs to the north, and adjacent beaches.
Sea-sand from the shelly beaches at Bude was for centuries used to manure and neutralise the acid soils of the surrounding farmland, as an alternative to burnt lime (used for the same purpose in the southern part of the county). Sand was transported by pack mules or horse and cart for centuries from the area. Although a canal was first proposed in 1774, work did not begin until 1819 and four
years later, much of the line was opened and completed by 1825. It was 35 ½ miles long and included one major aqueduct over the river Tamar at Burmsdon, a sea-lock with breakwater at Bude, two locks on the barge section and six inclined planes. Today the sea lock is still in working order and the canal is 'in water' as far as the base of the first inclined plane, with the Canal Company’s buildings still in evidence.
After an introduction to the history of Bude, and in particular, its industrial history, this walk will investigate the Bude section of the Canal, walking along the towpath as far as Helebridge, visiting Canal Company buildings, and then return to examine the sea lock and wharves at Bude. After this the walk will proceed to the headland to view the Storm Tower and down to the sea to walk along the breakwater.
Sunday May 17th - The annual
CAS/DAS walk –with Dr Sandy Gerrard (ex-CAU, EH): Medieval Tin in Cornwall: Penkestle Moor, Redhill and Goonzion Downs – 11:30 – 16:30; meet in the car park beside Colliford Reservoir at SX 16378 72169. Appropriate clothing and footwear advisable. Picnic lunch. Numbers are limited and BOOKING FOR THIS TRIP IS ESSENTIAL – register your interest with Henrietta Quinnel on 01392 433214 or email: [email protected]
This field trip will involve driving between the three sites so sharing vehicles is encouraged. This can be organised at the
first car park (above).
This walk provides the opportunity to review the traces of medieval and later tin extraction on the southern fringes of Bodmin Moor with Sandy Gerrard, the acknowledged expert in the field, and a pioneering field worker during the early years of Cornwall Archaeological Unit.
Redhill Downs has a reservoir and undeveloped eluvial streamwork. Penkestle has leats, reservoirs, a shaft, a tinners building, two eluvial streamworks, medieval field systems and lode back pit workings. Goonzion has a few late mining buildings (earthworks), a whim platform, shoad collection pits, prospecting pits and the unexplained rectilinear earthwork known as Crow Pound. Altogether there is quite a bit to see – although evidence for the processing is lacking - which of course is a Bodmin Moor wide problem.
Directions to the first car park: Coming west down the A30 (ie from Devon), take the Colliford Lake Park road on the left almost 3km after Bolventor/Jamaica Inn. The turning is signposted ‘Warleggan, St Neot, Mount’. Continue down this road for approx 2.5km to the second car park on the shore of the reservoir. THE JUNE WALK WILL BE AT ROUGHTOR. DETAILS WILL BE PUBLISHED IN THE JUNE NEWSLETTER AND ON THE WEBSITE.
CAN YOU HELP? Steve Hartgroves has decided to hand over his responsibility as FIELD TRIP ORGANISER. He will still be available to
help and to advise (and lead a walk or two). If you enjoy the walks, and would like to take over, please contact Steve or Roger Smith, our secretary. (See contacts box). You would arrange 10 walks, none in December or August, preferably dotted evenly about Cornwall. Steve has taken us to Stonehenge and Pam took us to Brittany, so you could be ambitious. Ireland, Denmark, Italy? You would find the walk leaders and finalise with them the details of the time and route. The whole programme is usually arranged well in advance and advertised in the Newsletter and on the website. You need not attend every walk yourself; this can be deputed to willing trustees. You would be invited to join the committee as either an elected or co-opted member. This is one of the most appreciated activities run by CAS and new members are often recruited through it. We all learn about parts of Cornwall or periods in history that are new to us. Please help to keep this vital and enjoyable activity alive. Ryan Smith has decided to resign his post of WEBMASTER. Ryan has been
very active adding information, distributing the newsletters to members who have opted to receive only the digital version. Under his auspices journals 1 to 39 were put on line and he has improved the Area Representatives information pages. He will be a hard act to follow, but someone needs to do it. It is possible that this might be the moment to redesign the website. Plenty of challenge here.It is an honorary post, although professional assistance may be hired in. Roger Smith, our SECRETARY has given notice that he will resign his post in April 2016. More than a minute taker
and reporter, the secretary is often the first contact for members and non-members who want to know about CAS. If you want to know more about this vital role, speak to Roger while he is still in post and consider if you could be his successor.
Tony Blackman Memorial Talks at
the Avalon Marshes Centre by CBA
On Saturday 24th
January we shall be holding our third annual Tony Blackman Memorial talks at the Avalon Marshes Centre, Glastonbury. The day
will kick off at 10:30am with talks from; Marc Cox, former CBA Community Archaeology Training placement holder now based at the Avalon Marshes; Tanya Camberwell, Avalon Marshes Landscape Partnership Community Heritage Officer and David Dawson of the Somerset Archaeology and Natural History Society.
Following the mornings talk we will break for lunch and then continue the day with a tour of the sites recent reconstruction work which will be hosted by Richard Brunning, South West Heritage Trust, with the opportunity for involvement in part of the on-going experimental archaeology projects on site.
The cost for the day will be £10, £6 for students, with a buffet lunch provided. If you are interested in attending then please download the registration form, and send it along with payment to Katie Collins, our treasurer, details for whom can be found at the bottom of the form.
.Contacts: Secretary: Roger Smith, 18, St Sulien, Luxulyan, Bodmin, PL30 5EB (01726 850792) [email protected]
Membership secretary: Jenny Beale, 16, Cross St. Padstow. PL28 8AT (01841 533098)
Newsletter Editor: Adrian Rodda, 52, Mount Pleasant Road, Camborne, TR14 7RJ.(01209 718675)
Secretary: Roger Smith, 18, St Sulien,
Luxulyan, Bodmin, PL30 5EB (01726 850792) [email protected]
Membership secretary: Jenny Beale,
16, Cross St. Padstow. PL28 8AT (01841 533098)
Newsletter Editor: Adrian Rodda,
52, Mount Pleasant Road, Camborne, TR14 7RJ (01209 718675) [email protected]
Registered charity: 1055654 President: Professor Valerie Maxfield BA, PhD, FSA Hon. Secretary: Roger Smith, 18 St Sulien, Luxulyan, Bodmin, Cornwall, PL30 5EB. Telephone: 01726 850792.
E-mail: [email protected]
I am pleased to inform you that our Annual General Meeting will be held at 1.30 p.m. on
April 2015 at Truro Baptist Church. This will be followed at approximately 3.15
p.m. by a lecture by Julian Richards FSA, MCIfA: ‘What’s wrong with archaeology?’.
Also enclosed with this letter is the agenda for the AGM. The minutes of the 2014 meeting have
already been published on our website and will be available at the A.G.M. Nominations already
received for Officers and Committee members are shown on the agenda. If you wish to nominate
someone for any of these positions please complete the form below and send it to the Secretary at the
address shown above by February 21st 2015. Details of nominations duly received will be published
on the website. For those without internet access, details of nominations received, and copies of the
2014 minutes may be requested from the Secretary.
Roger Smith ……………………………………………………………………………………………………………..
Nominations for the CAS Committee 2015-16
Committee position e.g. Officer (state
which), Committee member
Name and signature of nominee
Proposed by (name in block capitals and signature):
Seconded by (name in block capitals and signature):
Please send this form to the Secretary at the address shown above by February 21st 2014.
CORNWALL ARCHAEOLOGICAL SOCIETY REGISTERED CHARITY NO 1055654
ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING
AT 1.30 P.M. AT TRURO BAPTIST CHURCH, CHAPEL HILL, TRURO,
ON SATURDAY APRIL 18TH
Registration will be from 1 p.m.
1. WELCOME FROM THE CHAIR
2. APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE
3. MINUTES OF THE PREVIOUS MEETING AND MATTERS ARISING
4. PRESIDENT’S REPORT (incorporating reports from Officers other than the Treasurer)
5. TREASURER’S REPORT
6. ELECTION OF PRESIDENT
Nicholas Johnson, President-Elect, 2014-2015, will be confirmed as President for a term to run
from April 2015 to April 2018. (Valerie Maxfield will automatically take up the role of Past
Nicholas Johnson is a Fellow of the Society of Antiquaries and a Member of the Institute for
Archaeologists. He was awarded the MBE in 2008 for services to archaeology in Cornwall.
Having started in 1975 with the Cornwall Committee for Rescue Archaeology (later to become the
Cornwall Archaeological Unit and then the Historic Environment Service), he became County
Archaeologist in 1988, retiring from Cornwall Council in 2010. He has been a board or council
member on many groups, including the English Heritage Advisory Committee and Chairman of
the National Trust’s Archaeological Panel. He was elected President-Elect at the 2014 A.G.M.
7. ELECTION OF OFFICERS AND COMMITTEE MEMBERS
Nominations received from members.
The following are standing for re-election and have been nominated and seconded according to the
rules of the Constitution:
a) Officers, 2015-2016. The following have agreed to stand and have been nominated in
accordance with Rule 6:
Secretary - Roger Smith; Treasurer - Karen Cole; Joint Editor - Peter Rose; Membership Secretary
– Konstanze Rahn
b) Committee Members, 2015-2016. The following have agreed to stand and have been
nominated in accordance with Rule 8.
Jenny Beale; Leslie Dodd; David Giddings; Andy Jones (Excavations); Jenny Moore (Lectures);
Peter Nicholas; Henrietta Quinnell; Laura Ratcliffe; Adrian Rodda (Newsletter Editor); Iain Rowe;
Anna Tyacke; Christine Wilson (Publicity).
The Committee is allowed to co-opt two additional members.
8. ANY OTHER BUSINESS
This will be followed at approximately 3.15 pm with a lecture by Julian Richards FSA, MCIfA:
‘What’s wrong with archaeology?’.
DEVON ARCHAEOLOGICAL SOCIETY
Registered Charity No. 276865
PLYMOUTH AND DISTRICT ARCHAEOLOGICAL
ARCHAEOLOGY IN DEVON
Saturday May 9th
2015, 10.00 – 17.15 at The Plymouth
Athenaeum, Derry’s Cross, Plymouth PL1 2SW
The day will provide an overview of work across the county ranging from prehistoric sites
through landscape studies to industrial archaeology. The cost is £17 for members of the two
sponsoring societies and the Cornwall Archaeological Society, otherwise £19. This includes
coffee and tea but not lunch. Lunch can be bought at several venues near the Athenaeum, or a
packed lunch may be eaten in the building. There will be bookstalls and othe exhibitions.
Places are limited so bookings should be made to the address below as soon as possible and
by May 2nd
. Parking at nearby Plymouth car parks (www.plymouth.gov.uk/carparks) can be
expensive. For details of the Athenaeum location see www.plymouthathenaeum.co.uk. The
railway station is a 20 minute walk, the bus station rather closer. Park and ride provides good
access (www.plymouth.gov.uk/parkandride) but about an hour should be allowed for this.
To: Mr and Mrs N Bray, 5 Hayne Close, Tipton St John, Sidmouth, Devon EX10 0BA
(email: [email protected] )
Please book……..places (members) at £17 and…….places (non-members) at £19 for
Archaeology in Devon 2015. Cheque payable to Devon Archaeological Society for £…….
enclosed: include an sae if you wish for acknowledgment of your booking .
Contact email……………………………………………tel no……………………… PTO
Provisional programme Programme may be subject to change
10 am Registration and coffee
10.30 Welcome: Paul Bidwell, President Devon Archaeological Society
10.40-11.10 Investigations at Ventiford Basin on the Stover Canal. Phil Newman (Freelance
11.10-11.40 The Emmett’s Post barrow excavations 2014. Olaf Bayer (Oxford Archaeology)
11.50-12.20 Excavations at Hill Barton, Exeter: prehistoric and Roman period activity.
Laurie Coleman (Cotswold Archaeology)
12.20 -12.50 ‘Something old under the sun’: archaeological geophysical survey and
evaluation in South Devon. Bill Horner and Graham Tait (Devon County Council)
12.50-2.00 Lunch Break
2.00-2.30 The Exmoor Mires Project: significant archaeological results. Lee Bray (Exmoor
2.30-3.00 The discovery and excavation of the Seaton Down Roman coin hoard.
Tom Cadbury (RAM Museum, Exeter)
3.30- 4.00 Further excavation of a Naval Cemetery at The Crescent, Plymouth. Alex Farnell
4.00- 4.45 Fifty years on: the post-medieval pottery from Castle Street, Plymouth and its
international context. John Allan (Exeter Cathedral Archaeologist)
4.45-5.15 Questions, discussion and concluding remarks
Name(s) of participant not members of these Societies
Address of person making the booking