Rebranding NTU Library: A Transmedia Approach · PDF file Transmedia Storytelling •...
Embed Size (px)
Transcript of Rebranding NTU Library: A Transmedia Approach · PDF file Transmedia Storytelling •...
Rebranding NTU Library:
A Transmedia Approach
Samantha Seah Siew Cheng
Noverinda Bella Ratmelia
Office of Information, Knowledge
& Library Services
Advisory & Consultation
Advisory & Consultation
Senior Assistant Manger
Communications & Outreach
• Part 1: Background and some definitions
• Part 2: Rebranding NTU Library
• Part 3: Crafting content strategy
• Part 4: Campaign design and using social media
• Part 5: Takeaways from the past year
Before NTU Library, we were
• Main strategy: saturation
– Physical i.e. posters, in person during orientation
– Web e.g. Facebook, Twitter, TV screens, Channel NTU, NTU
Event Calendar, Website Banners, Blogsite
– Library communal PC wallpapers
• While the Library Promotion Division were the main team in charge
of library promotion, other teams also had their own ideas and were
given the freedom to execute
• On the flipside, this meant there wasn’t any standardization across
• In 2016, there was a change in NTU Corporate Communications
Office which lead to rebranding and stricter control over any
communications from departments
REBRANDING NTU LIBRARY
Name and identity
Office of Information, Knowledge and Library Services
BRANDING SOCIAL MEDIA PLATFORMS
Social Media - Platforms
Social Media - Platforms
• Definition of transmedia (Phillips, 2012):
– Multiple pieces of media that are, by themselves, whole and standalone but
complement each other and interweave
– Tightly woven content, spread over various platforms, for a set duration of time.
Typically heavily reliant on social media
• “Transmedia storytelling is a marriage of various forms of technology
and media … to invite audiences to connect to a story across
multiple platforms.” (Thomas, 2015, p.19)
• In contrast to entertainment, storytelling for marketing
purposes refers to use phrases or images to tell stories
that are bigger than the sum of their parts and elicit an
• Balance your brand against the story
Decide on your story
• Things to think about:
– Show don’t tell
– Values/adjectives you want associated with your brand
• Put yourself in your audience’s shoes
– Find the heart of your story, why should people care about your
A content strategy was devised to achieve the following with
• Educate users on the various communication platforms they can use to connect with
NTU Library and the various locations their resources are available at both physically
• Inform users on the services that can help them with the resources they need and invite
them to our physical spaces to let them experience how the library cares for them.
• Inform users on the various events, workshops, talks, contests and seminars the
library organises and invite them to participate.
2. Communicate • Librarians connect with the users in person at events of all nature to advocate the
value of the library and importantly gather feedback. Some of these feedback are
documented into videos which are produced and uploaded onto the library’s social
media platforms to keep others informed on the experiences they can get with NTU
• Seek collaboration opportunities with members of the NTU community and outside the
university to promote their products/services, host their events or partner in their
• To provide effective value propositions for stakeholders and users who will in turn
support the library’s initiatives and campaigns through participation or publicity.
SOCIAL MEDIA STRATEGY
A hashtag is a label for content.
It helps others who are interested in a certain topic,
quickly find content on that same topic.
Branding Hashtag: #NTUsgLibrary
Establishing Hashtags Sub-branding hashtags Campaign Hashtags
Digital Scholarship Workshop Series
Python workshops and consultations: #Python_NTUsgLib
Education & Learning Workshop Series
EndNote workshops and consultations:
#EndNote_NTUsgLib / #EndNote
Information & Research Management workshops:
Research Talks and Seminars
DR-NTU Data: #DataNTUsgLibrary / #DRNTUsgLibrary
Open Access talks and seminars: #NTUsgOA / #OAweek /
• When: July 2018
• Why: Tie-in with National Reading Week and eBook Day
– Selected 10 titles, took photos, crafted short synopsis/reviews
Instagram: 20 posts with a total of 360 likes and 23 stories with 845 views.
Facebook: 18 posts with a total of 62 likes and 23 stories (no stats for views).
• When: October 2018
• Why: Tie-in with Halloween and revision period
– Decorated entrance of Lee Wee Nam Library
– Dressed up in costume on 30 Oct and went around LWNL to give
out sweets to students
Instagram: 18 posts with 161 likes and 808 video views / 59 stories with 2,660 views.
Facebook: 18 posts, 37 likes with 125 views.
Social Media Strategy
To increase followers across our social media platforms –
Facebook & Instagram
- To raise awareness and promote the services of NTU Library.
- Like, Follow and Share @NTUsgLibrary / #NTUsgLibrary
- Populate relevant and fun content for our target audience to read,
participate in and engage with.
Choosing your platforms
• Not all platforms are equal; some are more equal than others: – Understand who you’re reaching out to, and
– How best to engage your audience, but
– Consider what kind of content you can sustainably generate
• As of Q3 2018, the leading social networks in Singapore are – YouTube (87%)
– WhatsApp (86%)
– Facebook (82%)
– Instagram (59%)
– Facebook Messenger (59%)
– Twitter (34%)
Instagram Users in Singapore
< 35 year old 35 and older
Adapted from Statista’s Share of Instagram users in Singapore as of December 2018, by age and
gender [Graph]. For the original graph, please refer to the appendix.
WARC Best Practice, August 2019:
• Globally, 87% of Instagram users
have engaged with the business
after seeing a product
information post on Instagram.
This includes liking, commenting,
• Highlights growing importance of
Twitter and Facebook
• Facebook and Twitter users in Singapore have been steadily
increasing and this trend has been projected to continue (Statista
Digital Market Outlook, 2018)
• According to Hootsuite:
– Tweets with videos get 10 times more engagement than those without. They are
also 6 times more likely to be retweeted.