Question of deliverables and other such stuff
Embed Size (px)
Slides from the talk I gave at Responsive Day Out 2 - The Squishening, June 27th 2014
Transcript of Question of deliverables and other such stuff
- https://flic.kr/p/e2Kp5x A question of deliverables and other such stuff Kirsty Burgoine - @kirstyburgoine
- Audience Participation...
- Deliverables. https://flic.kr/p/e2Kp5x
- Olden Days Now
- Discuss Plan Design Build Job Done! Project Workflow in Olden Days
- 2010 - Freelance Olden Days
- https://flic.kr/p/8XqJLK - with added cats by ME
- 2012 2010 - Freelance
- Responsive as Default.
- Disaster Parakeet is the ultimate Badass. ~ grin!
- 2012 Approach 1 2013
- 1. Tell Them Nothing!
- Clients were very happy Didnt need to change my workflow at all Advantages of this approach:
- No planning for mobiles / steep learning curve for me :( Additional time / costs Dis-advantages of this approach:
- 2012 Approach 2 2013 2014 The Future
- 2. Promise Nothing.
- Client still kn I could plan wClients were happy - they still knew what to expect for desktop Didnt need to change my workflow much Could increase timescales and costs Advantages of this approach:
- Dis-advantages of this approach: The client had no idea what to expect the mobile version to look like or any understanding of how it would work.
- Approach 3 2012 2014 The Future 2013
- 3. Straight to the Code!
- Drastic action
- New Project Workflow... + Discuss Build Plan Job Done! Discuss
- Actual Comments Im concerned about the number of straight lines, could you use this blue map marker instead?
- Actual Comments Ive sent you some designs I think would work but I dont have Photoshop so Ive done them in Excel
- Able to get the data in at a very early stage Advantages of this approach:
- Dis-advantages of this approach: No deliverables so the client didn't trust what I was doing
- Peek-a-boo ~ grin!
- 2014 20132012 Now The Future
- A More Practical Approach.
- My Current Project Workflow Discuss Plan Job Done!Design Build Plan Design Design Build Discuss Discuss
- https://flic.kr/p/bBqABo I show them my ideas...
- Lessons learnt Trust between you and the client is even more important now. It needs to be nurtured.
- Lessons learnt Plan and budget properly for the time needed - Surprises are never a good idea.
- Lessons learnt Set expectations for all aspects of the project from the beginning.
- Lessons learnt Dont leave the client to their own devices.
- Lessons learnt If you cant provide clearly defined deliverables, still show them your ideas. Dont leave the client to their own devices.
- Lessons learnt a more personal one Make less gigantic decisions or at least plan them better!
- Kirsty Burgoine @kirstyburgoine Icons and robot dude by @stina_jones Thanks.