Product Strategy for UXers
Embed Size (px)
Transcript of Product Strategy for UXers
- Product Strategy for UXers Presented by Kevin Vigneault at NOVA UX onJuly 16, 2014
- Hello, my name is Kevin Vigneault @hellokv
- Tonight Im going to talk about Product Strategy
- More specically... Digital Consumer Products
- Currently a UX Designer Formerly a Project Manager 7+ years at Viget Degrees in HCI, Economics & Finance About Me
- I am NOT a product strategist.
- Product Managers? Executives? Marketing? Business Services? Who guides product strategy?
- 1. User-centered perspective 2. Research & testing skills 3. Familiarity with design & build The UX Advantage
- Product strategy should be driven primarily by user experience, not business objectives or technical capabilities.
- What is product strategy? What is GOOD product strategy? What should you build? How much should you charge? I will try to answer...
- What is product strategy?
- Design Business Strategy Product
- What is a product?
- An entity that when consumed provides value to an organization. An entity that when consumed provides value to an organization.
- Augmented Actual
- What is strategy?
- A vision for your desired outcome and a plan for how to achieve it.
- Planning is NOT strategy.
- Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face. Mike Tyson
- Vision Strategy Plan
- What is good product strategy?
- Deciding what NOT to do.
- Fear and discomfort are an essential part of strategy. Roger L. Martin Harvard Business Review Magazine
- Keeping up with competition Wasting development resources Appeasing everyone Missing out on that critical thing What are we afraid of?
- 1. Simple & Clear 2. User-centered 3. Bold & Aggressive 4. Long-term 5. Imperfect & Agile Good strategies are...
- What should you build?
- A complex system that works is invariably found to have evolved from a simple system that worked. A complex system designed from scratch never works. John Gall General Systemantics
- Simple is NOT inherently superior to complex.
- The Tyranny of Small Decisions A series of small, individually rational decisions that cumulatively result in an undesirable outcome.
- The House of Quality
- 1. Generate ideas 2. Design & build some of them 3. Never launch Level 0
- 1. Generate ideas 2. Design & build everything 3. Launch & see Level 1
- 1. Generate ideas 2. Prioritize 3. Design & build by priority 4. Launch incrementally, test & evaluate Level 2
- 1. Generate ideas 2. Group logically & prioritize 3. Design & build in groups by priority 4. Launch incrementally, test & evaluate Level 3
- Well that didnt answer the question...
- How much should you charge?
- Whatever price generates the most revenue over a dened period of time.
- Quantity Price
- 1. Collect emails 2. Set a high base price 3. Email 1/3 the base price, 1/3 a 25% discount, & 1/3 a 50% discount 4. Track conversions per cohort How to Test Price
- Quantity Price
- Quantity Price
- Derive a demand curve from sample prices Learn your customers sensitivity to price The point...
- Decoy Products Odd Pricing Price Anchoring Other Pricing Topics
- Predictably Irrational by Dan Ariely
- In summary...
- 1. Product strategy is important 2. UX professionals are uniquely qualied to lead the charge 3. Think boldly & play to win Key Takeaways
- All done, thanks.