Presentation tips for startups by JiYoung Moon
Embed Size (px)
Presentation tips for startups
Transcript of Presentation tips for startups by JiYoung Moon
- PRESENTATION TIPS FOR STARTUPS 2014 by JiYoung MOON
- JIYOUNGMOON A Presentation is a Show You Plan, Develop and Deliver Yourself
- JIYOUNGMOON Are You Confident to Compete with Smartphones of the Audience?
- Why Are Most Presentations So Boring?
- JIYOUNGMOON MISUNDERSTANDINGS BORING PRESENTATION!
- You should deliver as much information as possible during your presentation.
- The shorter a presentation is, the better. So you should minimize the number of slides.
- A presentation should be fun. The more the audience laugh, the more content they will remember.
- So what to do for a winning presentation (Not boring your audience to death) ???
- THE FIVE COMMANDMENTS OF WINNING PRESENTATION
- JIYOUNGMOON COMMANDMENT I. Be Short & Sweet Guy Kawasakis 10-20-30 Rule 10 slides 20 minutes 30 point font FYR only Be flexible!
- JIYOUNGMOON Be a Storyteller COMMANDMENT II.
- JIYOUNGMOON Simplify & Visualize Your Ideas COMMANDMENT III.
- JIYOUNGMOON Be in the Moment & Engage COMMANDMENT IV.
- JIYOUNGMOON COMMANDMENT V. Close with Call to Action
- PRESENTATION PLANNING
- What a Venture Capitalist Expects from Your Presentation?
- JIYOUNGMOON A Venture Capitalist Wants to See: PROFITABILITY & GROWTH POTENTIAL VISION & PASSION PEOPLE
- SOURCE: The 10/20/30 Rule of PowerPoint by Guy Kawasaki 1. Problem 2. Your solution 3. Business model 4. Underlying magic/technology 5. Marketing and sales 6. Competition 7. Team 8. Projections and milestones 9. Status and timeline 10. Summary and call to action Ten Topics a Venture Capitalist Cares about Grab attention through storytelling
- JIYOUNGMOON How to Craft a Story for Your Presentation? Create a Plot First! And for a Perfect Plot
- JIYOUNGMOON CONTRAST IS THE KEY
- JIYOUNGMOON SOLUTION FUTURE FULFILLMENT SPECIAL WE PROBLEM PAST / PRESENT NEED ORDINARY THEY Examples of Contrast V S
- Adopt the Plot of Hero Myths and Legends
- RISING HERO (BRAVE NEW ERA) INCOMPETENT KING (DARK PAST) V S
- HERO (WE) ENEMY (THEY) V S
- JIYOUNGMOON What is Your Weapon of Choice? Linear Narrative vs Spatial Narrative
- JIYOUNGMOON Presentation Development Process 1ST REHEARSAL SET THE STRUCTURE & FLOW OF YOUR STORY CHOOSE RIGHT SOFTWARE & TOOLS DEVELOP SPEECH NOTES DEVELOP CONTENT (SLIDES & VISUAL) MODIFY THE CONTENT 2ND, 3RD REHEARSALS (INCLUDING TECHNICAL PART) FINAL REHEARSAL SUCCESSFUL PRESENTATION REPEAT !
- PRESENTATION VISUALS
- THE FIVE PRINCIPLES OF EFFECTIVE PRESENTATION VISUAL
- JIYOUNGMOON Slides Should NOT Upstage Your Presentation
- JIYOUNGMOON Do NOT Make Slideuments
- JIYOUNGMOON Use Colors Effectively & Sparingly
- JIYOUNGMOON Pay Attention to the Font Text in typeface is also a part of visual Presentation Presentation Presentation Presentation Presentation
- JIYOUNGMOON Plan Your Appearance as Part of Presentation Visual Source: TED.com
- SLIDE MAKEOVER CLINIC
- HOW TO SIMPLIFY & VISUALIZE TEXT
- 3 Dos of Blog Writing First of all, a blog writer should be human. Nobody likes talking to a machine. So the writer should offer perspective and have a distinct voice. Personality, emotional message, empathy are also important. It is very important to engage with your audience. In order to do that, add hyperlinks to third-party sources in your text and make your blog accessible through social media. Finally, you need to visualize. Not just visuals but compelling, curiosity- provoking visuals work. Infographic could be an effective option which is both fun-looking and informative. SAMPLE SLIDE
- 3 Dos of Blog Writing Be Human Nobody likes talking to a machine Should offer perspective and have a distinct voice Personality, emotional message, empathy Engage Hyperlinks to third-party sources Make blog accessible through social media Visualize Compelling, curiosity-provoking visuals Infographic : effective option both fun-looking and informative SAMPLE SLIDE
- JIYOUNGMOON 3 Dos of Blog Writing BE HUMAN Nobody likes talking to a machine Offer perspective and have distinct voice Personality, emotional message, empathy ENGAGE Hyperlink to third-party sources Make blog accessible through social media VISUALIZE Compelling, curiosity-provoking visuals Infographic: fun-looking and informative SAMPLE SLIDE
- JIYOUNGMOON BE HUMAN 3 Dos of Blog Writing ENGAGE VISUALIZE SAMPLE SLIDE
- JIYOUNGMOON Dos of Blog Writing #3 VISUALIZE SAMPLE SLIDE
- CHARTS & DATA VISUALIZATION
- Mobile OS Global Market Share SAMPLE SLIDE As of 1Q 2013 Source: Mobile Apps
- JIYOUNGMOON 61% 7% 5% 6% 21% As of 1Q 2013 Source: Mobile Apps SAMPLE SLIDE Others Mobile OS Global Market Share
- JIYOUNGMOON As of 1Q 2013 Source: Mobile Apps SAMPLE SLIDE 61% 7% 5% 6% 21% Android Others iOS BlackBerry Windows Mobile OS Global Market Share
- JIYOUNGMOON Tailor an existing chart to a specific focus Separating signal from noise is the key
- JIYOUNGMOONSource: Mashable (August 27, 2013) Smartphone Penetration by Country SAMPLE SLIDE 62.2% 62.8% 71.7% 73.0% 10. Denmark 9. UK 8. Hong Kong 7. Sweden 6. Australia 5. Norway 4. Singapore 3. Saudi Arabia 2. South Korea 1. UAE 56.4% 0% 20% 40% 60% 80% 13. USA
- JIYOUNGMOON Remember! Slides are for the audience NOT your prompter Visual is about presenting your ideas NOT for the sake of beauty itself Balance consistency and variation
- PRESENTATION DELIVERY
- HOW TO ENGAGE WITH THE AUDIENCE
- JIYOUNGMOON Understand Your Audience
- JIYOUNGMOON Use the Power of Emotional Appeal Did Kennedy really outwit Nixon in the debate?
- JIYOUNGMOON RELEVANT QUOTE Open Your Presentation with: CURIOSITY- PROVOKING IMAGE PERSONAL STORY
- JIYOUNGMOON SUMMARY OF THE KEY POINTS CALL TO ACTION Close Your Presentation with:
- Effective Presentation Closing Why Our Company? Inspire your potential clients and partners to choose you
- Source: TED.com Amy Cuddy: Your body language shapes who you are Open Your Arms to the Audience NEVER EVER Read Your Slides
- Tune Your Voice Practice is important
- And Most Importantly BE IN THE MOMENT
- JIYOUNGMOON CHEC