Precysion Glss Presentation Oct Pm2
Embed Size (px)
Transcript of Precysion Glss Presentation Oct Pm2
A Killer Illness
A Killer Illness
Bloodstream is overwhelmed by bacterial infection that can begin anywhere in the body & can result in chronic organ failure!
Primary Sites include: The lungs (bacterial pneumonia) -45% The bowel (usually seen with peritonitis)-17% The kidneys (upper urinary tract infection) -9% The liver or the gall bladder- 9% The skin (cellulitis)- 7%
• Between US & EU; >1.5m episodes Sepsis/year• 25 ~ 30% mortality rate.• > 120,000 Deaths/yr in the US• US Hospital Records ’79~’00 show Mean Sepsis increase of 13%
pa• Due to Immune suppression, Wider Invasive Procedures, More
Resistant Microorganisms & Aging Population.
• Rapid Diagnosis is Key• High Dependency Unit/ICU Treatment• ICU Treatment costs €2,500 per Day• Average Stay is 15 ~ 20 days• Survivors need long rehabilitation up to 1 yr (€)• Misdiagnosis costs Hospital $4,500/case in
Insurance Re-imbursement• Annual costs to Western economies of € 45 billion
Cost of Sepsis
SEPSIS: A Costly Illness
World opinion leaders recognise that the present tests which are based on Pathogen detection post onset are not making a significant difference
The biomarkers available right now are C-reactive protein and procalcitonin. Both have shortfalls!
Biomarkers now needed to monitor patient predisposition post surgery to genetic susceptibility, immuno suppression, coexisting complications.
A Paradigm Shift
Patent Pending Diagnostic and Prognositc Tool Using Genetic Biomarkers (Cytokine Gene Expression).
Developed by St James Hospital & Trinity College Dublin
To screen patients & accurately predict those susceptible to Sepsis post surgery. Majority will tolerate infection without critical illness.
To optimise individual treatment, care stratification. Identify groups with Sepsis at low, intermediate & high risk.
• Biomarkers is Expanding Global Market • Drug Development, Clinical Trials & Diagnostics. • $4.8 Billion – ’06, 18% CAG to $12.7 Billion – ‘12 (*)• Diagnostics 17.5% Growth $2.3B - ‘07 to $5.15B -’12 (*)• US trend for Sepsis predicted to reach 1 million patients by 2010,
Avg cost of $30K per patient ($30B)• European market is similar.• For each case Sepsis diagnosed 3~4 patients with infection need
to be tested & screened.• Septifast by Roche costs $100~180 per test.• PRECYSION expected to cost €150 per test• Potential Sepsis Patient Only Market = €1.2 Billion
(*) BCC Research
Competitive EnvironmentCompetition focus on pathogen detection after
onset! Precysion focuses on Predisposition using
Roche “Septifast”; PCR Sepsis pathogen detection product.
• Annual revenue €10 million• Annual revenue €360 million - PCR molecular
Thermo-Fisher “BRAHMS” test • Annual sales of US$ 105 million
Others:SIRS Labs, Biomerieux, Biosite, Spectral, Mobidiag!
Precysion is complimentary!
1. Finish academic research (PoC) – Oct ‘092. Verify route to market with science advisory board ‘09.3. Establish TCD campus company – ’09.4. Prototype & EU Validation – ’10 /‘115. License or JV with Platform Partner(s) – ’10/’11.6. US Validation & Market Entry – ’11/’127. 3 year go-to-market plan.
€ € € € € € € - Potential Multi-Billion Market - € € € € € €
1. ‘10 - Preparation of Prototype – €50,0002. ‘10 – EU Clinical Validation Program – €150,0003. ‘11 - External validation – €150,0004. ’11 - Regulatory CE marking – €50,0005. Contingency and staff – €100,000
Total costs = €500,000 for Validated Prototype for EU Market
EU Prototype Costs
€ € € € € € € € € € € € € € €
Inventor & CSODr. Thomas Ryan, Consultant, Anaesthesia & IC, St. James Hospital, Dublin.
Former Member of staff, Dept of Anesthesiology & Critical Care Medicine, Cleveland Clinic, Ohio
Scientific Advisor: Dr John Thornback, BSc & PhD in Chemistry, Imperial College London (worked
with Prof. Sir Geoffrey Wilkinson, Nobel Laureate). Visiting Fellow, Harvard University ‘87-88 & MIT ‘86, Amersham/Imanet, Medgenix, Enigma, Myconostica
Technical Leader: Bruce Murdoch, BSc (Hons), Univ of Nottingham. >30 years MD/VP in Biopharma
Schering-Plough, Kabi Pharmacia, Bioaccelerate Inc., Avesthagen Ltd & Biotech start-upsFinancial Leader
Clive Kendall qualified from Deloitte Plender Griffiths, Hill Samuel & Arthur Andersen. 20 yrs experience as FD of 2 London Listed Companies, Business Advisor to £500 million T/O companies Private & Public, Co-Founder GLSS.
Business Leader:Paul McMahon, BSc (Hons), Trinity College Dublin. 25 years setting up Teams &
Operations in Japan, UK & Irl incl. projects in Electronics, Pharma, IT, Health Centres, Stem Cell & Diagnostics. Consultant, Global Life Science Services & CMR
IP Commercialisation Opportunity
Pre Sepsis Tech
Real HUMAN Data Sets
Real RoI €€€
Prime Mover in Market
Save Lives/Reduce Healthcare Costs
In Multi-Billion Market
JV & Investment Partner Needed!
Phase 1; €0.5m EU Market Prototype
Phase 2; €3.5m Enter US Market
PoC (EI/TCD)Oct ‘09