Political Science Senior Seminar
Embed Size (px)
Transcript of Political Science Senior Seminar
- 1.Political Science: An Adventure in Research Beaman Library Fall 2007
2. Research is a process
- It is ORGANIZED
- It is METHODICAL
- It is COMPREHENSIVE
3. The Researchers 2 questions
- WHAT do I want to know?
- WHERE do I find that information?
4. Catacomb the online catalog
- Allsearchingbegins with
- the online catalog.
5. Information Resources inBeaman Library
- Reference books
6. Reference Sources: LocationMain Level West Wing 7. Reference Sources: Types
- Statistical Sources
8. Periodicals - Location
- Current (2007)magazines and journals are arranged alphabetically on open shelves for easy browsing.
9. Periodicals - Location
- Boundperiodicals are arranged alphabetically and chronologically.
10. Periodicals - Location
- Some periodicals are kept onmicrofilmormicrofiche .
11. Periodical Indexes (print)- Location
- Periodical indexes are located on the main floor, east wing of Beaman Library.
12. Periodical Indexes Print
- Biography Index
- Business Periodicals Index
- General Science Index
- PAIS International Index
- Social Sciences Index
13. Periodical Indexes
- Tennessee Electronic Library (TEL)
- Academic OneFile
- Expanded Academic ASAP
- InfoTrac OneFile
- National Newspaper Index
- America: History & Life and Historical Abstracts
- Biography Resource Center
14. World Wide Web Resources
- Academic .edu
- Government .gov
- Specialized/commercial .com/.org/.net
15. Online Indexes/Databases:Government
- U. S. Government
- Library of Congress
- Congressional Directory
- http:// www.gpoaccess.gov/cdirectory/index.html
16. Online Indexes/Databases Education
- a virtual library of internet resources relevant to faculty, students, and research staff at the university level.
- Electronic journals electronic books
- Bulletin boards databases
17. Online Indexes/Databases Commercial
- Search specifically for scholarly literature:
- theses peer reviewed papers books
- abstracts technical reports preprints
http:// scholar.google.com / 18. Evaluating Information
- from monographs (books)
- from periodicals (journals)
- from databases/websites
19. Evaluating books
- Is it a recognized author?
- Does it have timely content?
- Does it contain documentation?
20. What is a Scholarly Journal?
- For scholars or researchers in a specialized field (e.g. medicine, psychology)
- Cites research
- Peer review (refereed)
- Includes notes and/or bibliography
- Usually quarterly or monthly
- Mostly print with graphs and/or tables
- Few or no ads
21. Web Site Evaluationthe WWWs
- Whosays it?
- Author or sponsor
- Credentials of responsible party
22. Web Site Evaluationthe WWWs
- Whatdoes it claim, assert, etc.?
- Purpose of web site
- Biased, objective, fair
- Factualin depth
- Correct grammar, spelling, etc.
23. Web Site Evaluationthe WWWs
- Whenwas it said?
- Publication date
- Links up-to-date
24. Interlibrary Loan
- What do I do if a resource I need is notavailable in the Beaman Library?
- Use the Interlibrary loan serviceprovided by Beaman Library
25. Interlibrary Loan
- Facts about Interlibrary Loan:
- Interlibrary Loan is aserviceprovided by Beaman Library to obtain materials NOT owned by Beaman Library.
- The conditions of this service are set by theNational Interlibrary Loan Code .
- Theloan periodis determined by thelendinglibrary.
- Athenais an area consortium of local libraries who loan and borrow from one another without charge.
- Applications are available at the Reference desk or online inCatacomb .
- Access form online:http:// library.lipscomb.edu
- S earch indexes/databases (evaluate)
- A nalyze compare, contrast; separate fact from opinion
- I nventory Do I have enough, too
- much, too little?
- L earn new information and new
- information skills
27. Your mission...
- Come up with a suitable topic (not too broad, not too narrow)
- Be able to find resources in all formats (books, articles, websites, etc.)
- Incorporate & cite these sources correctly (be careful not to plagiarize!)
- Remember: librarians are here to help you with your mission!