Physical features of India
Embed Size (px)
It tells you some of the famous and great mountains, rivers, plains, plateau and major Islands of India.
Transcript of Physical features of India
- PHYSICAL FEATURES OF INDIA : Mountains Rivers Plains of India Plateaus of India Coastal areas andMajor Islands of India
- Left RightRamganga, Gomti, Ghaghara, Yamuna, Tamsa, Son,Gandaki, Burhi Gandak , PunpunKoshi,Mahananda
- Left RightBhima, Dindi, Peddavagu, Venna, Koyna, Panchganga,Halia, Musi, Paleru, Dudhganga,Ghataprabha,Munneru Malaprabha, Tungabhadra
- Eastern coastal plains
- Indo-Gangetic Plain The northern Plains also known as the Indo Gangetic Plain and the North Indian River Plain is alarge and fertile plain encompassing most of northernand eastern India, the most populous partsof Pakistan, parts of southern Nepal and virtually allof Bangladesh. The region is named after theIndus and the Ganges, the twin river systems thatdrain it. The plains population density is very high due to thefertile soil for farming. The plains support one of the most populous areason Earth, being home to nearly 1 billion people (oraround 1/7 of the worlds population) on 700,000 km
- Plateausof India
- Deccan Plateau The Deccan Plateau is a large plateau in India,making up most of the southern part of thecountry. It rises a hundred meters high in thenorth, and more than a kilometer high in thesouth, forming a raised triangle within thefamiliar downward-pointing triangle of the Indiansubcontinents coastline. It is located betweentwo mountain ranges: the Western Ghats formits western boundary, and the Eastern Ghats itseastern boundary. Each rises from theirrespective nearby coastal plains and nearlymeet at the southern tip of India. It is separatedfrom the Gangetic plain to the north by
- Chota Nagpur Plateau The Chota Nagpur Plateau is a plateau in eastern India, which covers much of Jharkhand state as well as adjacent parts of Orissa, West Bengal, Bihar and Chhattisgarh. The Indo-Gangetic plain lies to the north and east of the plateau, and the basin of the Mahanadi River lies to the south. The total area of the Chota Plateau is approximately 65,000 square kilometers (25,000 sq mi). The Chota Nagpur Plateau is a continental plateau - an extensive area of land thrust above the general land. The plateau has been formed by
- Costal areasand Islands
- The Eastern Coastal Plain is a widestretch of land lying between the EasternGhats and the Bay of Bengal. It stretchesfrom Tamil Nadu in the south to WestBengal in the east. The Western CoastalPlain is a narrow strip of land sandwichedbetween the Western Ghats and theArabian Sea, ranging from 50 to 100 km(31 to 62 mi) in width.
- The Lakshadweep and the Andaman andNicobar Islands are Indias two majorisland formations and are classifiedas union territories. The LakshadweepIslands lie 200 to 300 km (120 to 190 mi)off the coast of Kerala in the Arabian Seawith an area of 32 km2 (12 sq mi). TheAndaman and Nicobar Islands are locatedbetween 6 and 14 north latitude and 92and 94 east longitude.
- By : Aviral Gupta (IX)