Nathan\'s Poetry Anthology
Embed Size (px)
Transcript of Nathan\'s Poetry Anthology
- My Poetry
2. What is Poetry?
- Poetry is a river, poem after poem moves along in the exciting crests and falls of the the river waves.None is timeless; each arrives in an historical context, almost everything, in the end, passes.
- Mary Oliver
- (A Poetry Handbook)
3. What is Poetry? My Definition!
- Poetry is . allright in my definition i think that im allright at it, poetry means work just normal work, i guess it isnt really that special to me.
4. AcrosticThe wordacrosticis formed from the Greek wordacros(outermost) andstichos(line of poetry). The acrostic is a poem where the first letter of each line forms a word when you read them looking downward. http://www.readwritethink.org/materials/acrostic/ P anthers growl, O rioles sing,E agles soar,M onkeys swing.S ee? 5. My Acrostic #1
- B ig air
- M assive look back
- X treme sport
6. My Acrostic #2
- H itting the ball
- O n the field
- C lose calls
- K eeping the ball on your stick
- E veryone can play
- Y oull love it
- COMPOSING A TRADITIONAL JAPANESE HAIKU POEM
- The 300-year old Haiku Poem has its own distinct discipline:-Each complete poem has only three lines, totalling 17 syllables. - the first line must be five syllables - the second line must be seven syllables - the third line must be five syllables When these rigid conditions are met, the result can be a very satisfying word picture.
- Birds take wing on high,gliding over angry waves back to their safe nests.
8. My Haiku #1
- Our earth is dying,
- Polluted and dark brown smog,
- Save the planet now.
9. My Haiku #2
- Snow, Cold and frosty,
- It sends shivers down your spine,
- Snowflakes floating by.
10. Collected Haiku #1
- Sushi and Soya
- The Spring comes
- When the day is over
11. Collected Haiku #2
- The flap of a bat,
- drip drip of monsoon waters.
- Ancient image stares.
12. CinquainCinquain poems come in three formats: Cinquain Pattern #1 Line1: One word Line2: Two words Line 3: Three words Line 4: Four words Line 5: One word Cinquain Pattern #2 Line1: A noun Line2: Two adjectives Line 3: Three -ing words Line 4: A phrase Line 5: Another word for the noun 13. CinquainCinquain Pattern #3 Line1: Two syllables Line2: Four syllables Line 3: Six syllables Line 4: Eight syllables Line 5: Two syllables http://hrsbstaff.ednet.ns.ca/davidc/6c_files/Poem%20pics/cinquaindescrip.htm 14. My Cinquain #1
- Adrenaline rush
- Turndown to fakie
- Faceplant on the concrete
15. My Cinquain #2
- Chew bones
- Dig unnecessary holes
- Lives in a kennel
16. DiamanteA diamante is a seven line poem, shaped like a diamond. Line 1: one word (subject/noun that is contrasting to line 7)Line 2: two words (adjectives) that describe line 1Line 3: three words (action verbs) that relate to line 1Line 4: four words (nouns) first 2 words relate to line 1 last 2 words relate to line 7Line 5: three words (action verbs) that relate to line 7Line 6: two words (adjectives) that describe line 7Line 7: one word ( subject/noun that is contrasting to line 1) http://www.readwritethink.org/materials/diamante/ 17. Diamante Example square symmetrical, conventional shaping, measuring, balancing boxes, rooms, clocks, halos encircling, circumnavigating, enclosing round, continuous circle 18. My Diamante #1
19. My Diamante #2
20. Free Verse
- Does not have to rhyme
- Does not have to have a specific rhythm
- Has no specific length
- Makes use of figurative speech
21. Free Verse Tools
- Metaphor suggests a similarity between two thingsThe road snakes around the mountain .
- Simile highlights the comparison between two things using like, as, resembles, etc.
- The stars in the night sky were like sparkling diamonds.
- Personification giving human characteristics to things which are clearly not human
- The outboard motor cleared its throat.
- Alliteration repeating words with the same beginning sound Thomas tied two turnips to two tall trees.
- Imagery using vivid, descriptive words to conjure up an image
- The car sped. - The flashy, yellow, mustang streaked like a bullet along the highway.
- Onomatopoeia using words that sound like what they mean
- He slurped his soup .
- Hyperbole using exaggeration to make a point
- Make me a sundae a mile high .
22. My Free Verse #1
- The little old lady couldn't even turn on a computer, she thought she was so high tech, but she still used a morse code machine, it was as old as her!!.
23. My Free Verse #2
- Im wishing that i never tripped,
- now my knee is a bung crip,
- It looks as if i had a little bee,
- who lived inside of me and wanted to break free,
- Now i have to have stitches,
- Probably by some old witches
24. Collected Free Verse #1
- My last night as a full-time child
- I didn't want to sleep, for fear of
- Waking up in a rustle of too-crisp sheets
- And a creak of inadequate bedsprings
- With a lightly snoring virtual stranger eight feet away.
- And also I didn't want it to be tomorrow,
- Because then it would be time to do what
- I've denied for three weeks of subsistence
- And oblivion--ignoring is bliss.
- And I saw everything I never did
- Lying around me, pieces and steps of the
- Success I never got, reminders that
- Whatever I planned, I never got far.
- But in the middle of these broken promises
- To myself, I could see for the first time
- That I have not been broken.
- And I must keep myself, all that is real,
- As daybreak does, and nightfall.
- I exist to others, but all I need is me.
- I will be the last promise, when all is said
- And kept.
25. Collected Free Verse #2
- I did not think when I named my people
- Eurocentric that I would ever have to
- Rack my brains for just the right touch of
- Foreign syllable to represent a nation
- That has given me a friend I wish to honor
- Without insult.
- And when I used to roam the open-air mall
- In search of shoes, I never imagined
- That one day I would argue with my sister
- Over wearing the plaid flannel that clothes
- The leering young men whose compliments
- We can't accept
- As I feel the fluorescent lights slowly
- Bleaching my skin even paler than
- Its standout rosy tan among
- An olive sea.
- And when I felt obligated to copy my books and
- Choose a crush I never paid attention to
- Last names or skin tone because
- A heart is the same in any language
- And mine breaks when I realize
- How hard it is to accept
26. Repeat Poster Poem
- Select Subject
- Statements beginning with same word
- Design a shape
- Cut out multiple shapes
- One statement on each shape
- Attach to poster in all directions
27. Friendship is being there Friendship is of the heart Friendship is a feast Friendship is trying to understand a mole Luke, Grade 6 Salamandastron, Brian Jacque 28. My Repeat Poster Poem #1
BMX IS THE BEST B M X ISMIGHTY FINE B M X M E A N S T H E B E S T 29. Character Poem First name ____________ Lives in ______ where s/he Hears ________________