My Child My Family

Child Mental Health Services Jay Anderson Psychologist Specialist Child Counsellor Specialist Services For Child Mental Health in South-west WA


Highlighting the mental health and emotional wellneing of children. An overview of the developmental needs of children and how specialist child psychology services operate in the South West region. Discover why child counselling is a specialist service.

Transcript of My Child My Family

Page 1: My Child My Family

Child Mental Health Services

Jay Anderson Psychologist

Specialist Child Counsellor

Specialist Services For

Child Mental Healthin

South-west WA

Page 2: My Child My Family

Intro & Background• Extensive Child Protection Experience• Forensic Interviewing & Risk Assessment• Working with trauma• Psychological Interventions• Registered Psychologist with additional child

therapy training• Registered Counsellor – ACA• Registered Play Therapist & Accredited Supervisor• Specialist skills in child mental health

Page 3: My Child My Family

Developmental Differences of childhood

• Stages of Adult Development very different to children• Need to understand child development• Infant – Toddler – child – adolescent – 0-18!!

• Engaging & Communicating with children• Understanding of attachment & trauma• Psychological Interventions vary significantly• Significantly different Disorders to adults

• Specialist Skills required

Page 4: My Child My Family
Page 5: My Child My Family

Presenting Issues• Emotional difficulties• Adjustment difficulties -Separated Families• Anxiety or Depression• Abuse & Trauma• Autism and developmental disorders• Grief• Family Relationships/Parenting/Behaviour

Page 6: My Child My Family

Different Roles• Assessment Vs Therapy• School Psychologists Vs Therapist/Clinician

• Any Psychologist/Counsellor can do child therapy• 2 or 3 days training is enough• Working with Teens is sufficient experience• Being a parent is enough training


Page 7: My Child My Family

Specialist Associations Recommend

• 2 years specialist study & training ON TOP OF Core Psychology/Therapy training

• Personal Therapy for clinician• Intense clinical work, under supervision• Ongoing, regular-Supervision by a specialist

Page 8: My Child My Family

Guide to Membership/Involvement

Specialist Associations: • Australasia- Pacific Play Therapy Assoc.• Aust. Play Therapy Assoc.• Aust. Assoc. for Infant mental Health• International Play Therapy Assoc.• Member of APS Specialist Interest Groups

Page 9: My Child My Family

Main Services – MY CHILD MY FAMILY

• Specialist Child Counselling• Parenting Support & training• Educational & Therapeutic Groups• Family Therapy• Working with trauma• Therapy specifically for Autism• Specialist child Interventions – eg Play Therapy

Page 10: My Child My Family


for your TIME

Jay Anderson Psychologist

Specialist Child CounsellorPh: 0411 138 036