Mobile Technologies and Climate Change
Embed Size (px)
Transcript of Mobile Technologies and Climate Change
- 1. Mobile Technologiesand Climate Change Anjesh TuladharYoung Innovations Pvt. Ltd.
2. Technology Climate Change
- Information technologies vital to tackling climate change UN secretary general (Oct 2009)
- UN teamed up with mobile phone companies and other partners to install 5,000 new weather stations across Africa. The weather stations will monitor the impact of climate change, and when there is news,text messages will be sent immediately to farmers mobile phones .
http://www.un.org/apps/news/story.asp?NewsID=32421&Cr=technology&Cr1 3. Global Mobile Statistics (2010)
- 90% of world population live in mobile network coverage area
- Global Mobile Penetration 5. 3 billion (77% of World population)
- Mobile devices sales increased by 18.5% from 2009 to 2010
- Global mobile web user 450 million
- More than 300,000 apps were downloaded 10.9 billion times
Source: http://mobithinking.com 4. Nepal Mobile Statistics
- Mobile Penetration 38.31%
- Internet Penetration Rate 10.03%
Source: NTA - MIS Report (May, 2011) 5.
- Next technology (almost)
- A new way to tackle old problem
Mobile 6. What mobile has
- Motion sensors
- Hundreds of applications...
7. Project Surya
- Collecting climate data (Black carbon)
- Individuals will use the camera on the mobile phone to capture and transmit an image containing the air filter and color chart to a server
- an algorithm on the server will interpret the image of the filter to automatically compute the daily BC concentrations for that household
- Researchers will use the data streams to evaluate the intervention's impact on regional and global climate change, and its impact on individual pollution exposure and public health
http://www.projectsurya.org/mobile-phone-technology/ 8. UNICEF Voice of Youth 9. How mobile based apps works? 10. Javarosa - Dimagi
- Perfect for data collection
- From an inexpensive handset, a server appliance, to the latest Android device
11. Where else...
- Climate Change
- ..... list will go on
12. Mobile Social Networking Nepal
- To develop mobile applications community of practice
- To foster competition of ideas to encourage entrepreneurship
- Linkage to mobile industry professional locally internationally
http://mobilenepal.net 13. Thank you