Leveraging Web 2.0 Tools to Engage Students
Embed Size (px)
Transcript of Leveraging Web 2.0 Tools to Engage Students
- 1. E XTENDEDL EARNINGI NSTITUTE Kim Monti Instructional Designer Nantana Wongtanasirikul Instructional Designer
- Who we are, what we do
- Community of Inquiry framework
- Web 2.0 tools we use
- Lessons learned and next phase with tool
- Whats next with ELI and Web 2.0
- Offered distance education for over 30 years
- Fastest growing area in NOVA
- Moving from print-based to online courses
- Moving from self-paced to collaborative work
4. Garrison, Anderson, Archer , 1999 5. 6. 7. 8. Tip: Have students post their username on their profile; Create GROUP in Skype to sort students by course. 9. Tip: Include your online office hour in your syllabus 10.
- Not many students interested in using chat with their instructors
- Create special group projects, exam review
- Give extra credit for participating
11. Tip: Keep it short and sweet 12.
- Old way of teaching in new tool
- Discussion around the topic
- Optional tool for students to use for presentations, class assignments
- Using Viddler ( http://www.viddler.com /)
13. Tip: Create a username and password where entire class posts. 14.
- Some students found posting their videos difficult
- Give students additional options to share videos beyond YouTube
- Provide clear guidelines and examples
- Additional materials required (webcam)
- Tip: Collaborate together towards an end goal such as a project, paper, or presentation
16. 17. Tip: Consider to turn on/off the notification email 18. Tip: Encourage students to invite their friends and family to their blogs 19.
- Difficult to keep track of each students contribution
- Use for brainstorming.Not for final drafts
- Incorporate synchronous communication
- Group evaluation
- Guidelines for interaction in tool
- Enable notification in tools
20. So many tools, so little time. Please dont overwhelm me 21. 22. 23. 24. 25. 26. 27. http://delicious.com/eliid/salt 28.
- For links to all of the tools mentioned today (and more!):
- If you have any questions, please contact: