Issue.945 Issue.945 Mar.26,2012 Mar.26,2012 P.7: Culture P.7: Culture P.12: hotshots P.12: hotshots...
Embed Size (px)
Transcript of Issue.945 Issue.945 Mar.26,2012 Mar.26,2012 P.7: Culture P.7: Culture P.12: hotshots P.12: hotshots...
Issue.945 Mar.26,2012 P.7: Culture P.12: hotshots Bummer Chick-lit Passes Away
General QuestionsWarming-up DiscussionDetailed Study
Warming-up DiscussionChick-lit passes away
Go over the passage in 3 minutes and answer the following questions concerning general comprehension.General QuestionsChick-lit passes away
1. What is Bridget Joness Diary about?
2. What is chick-lit? Its about Bridgets job, her poor self-image, her vices (overeating, getting drunk, smoking), her friends, family and love life.General Questions Its literature for young women (and young men interested in finding out how young women think). Chick-lit passes away
3. What kind of main characters does chick-lit portray?
4. Why is chick-lit dying? Ambitious, materialistic, upwardly-mobile young women.General Questions Britain is suffering form economic crisis and The Shopaholic stories seem irrelevant, even distasteful to many readers living in austerity-hit Britain Chick-lit passes away
5. What are women readers reading according to Literary experts?
6. According to Kathy Lette, what kind of character will be liked by women readers today? more complex, psychological novels by women. General Questions literary lionesses Chick-lit passes away
Detailed Study Read the passage closely and find out the following sentences.Chick-lit passes away
1. We learn about Bridgets job, her poor self-image, her vices (overeating, getting drunk, smoking), her friends, family and love life. vice : a bad or immoral quality in a person, or bad or immoral behavior Jealousy is a vice. Chick-lit passes awayDetailed Study
2. The male love interest in both books is a character called Darcy.male love interest: (also called romantic interest), a man who enjoys admiration.Detailed QuestionsChick-lit passes away
3. It is fun with a dash of romance. a dash of romance : a small amount of romantic atmosphere. They seem the perfect couple , full of glamour and bringing a dash of romance to the White HouseChick-lit passes awayDetailed Study
4. The female characters are well-groomed, sassy, urban women obsessed with fashion and finding eligible men eligible : an eligible man or woman would be good to marry because they are rich, attractive, and not marriedChick-lit passes awayDetailed Study
5. She gets into all sorts of amusing scrapes because of her extravagance. extravagance the trait of spending in a wasteful way. His extravagance kept him always in debt . Chick-lit passes awayDetailed Study
6. Miller says chick-lit flourished at a time when ambitious young women poured into a robust job market flourish : to develop well and be successful When railroads adopted the technology of steam , they too began to flourish . Chick-lit passes awayDetailed Study
7. During its heyday publishers created imprints specifically for chick-lit. heyday : the time when someone or something was most popular, successful, or powerful The analyst 's heyday would seem to be long gone . Chick-lit passes awayDetailed Study
8. Perhaps in this economic downturn a creative cull may ensure only literary lionesses prevail. downturn : a period or process in which business activity, production etc is reduced and conditions become worse economic downturn economic recession economic crisis It is a terrible mistake to raise taxes during an economic downturn . Chick-lit passes awayDetailed Study
Read the short passage and discuss with your group members on the following topic: How do you view Cheung winning this award?
The Golden Raspberry award (orRazziefor short) is a recognition for amotion picturethat had a poor outcome. The annual Razzie Awards ceremony inLos Angelesprecedes the corresponding Academy Awards ceremony by one day.
It is founded by Americancopywriter and publicist John J. B. in 1981. The awards themselves typically cost $4.97 each, in the form of a golf ball-sized raspberry which sits atop aSuper 8 mm filmreel, the whole of which is spray-painted gold.
Debate: whether there should be such an award.