I ROADS ,. EXPERIMENT 02 -ON ABANDONED LOGGING · Planting Area fur Experiment 02 Replicate 1...
Embed Size (px)
Transcript of I ROADS ,. EXPERIMENT 02 -ON ABANDONED LOGGING · Planting Area fur Experiment 02 Replicate 1...
I ' I'
,. .. I
EXPERIMENT 02 - ON ABANDONED LOGGING ROADS
Planting of Indigenous Species
, , at . j L
'1 [ :' the Old and Abandoned Logging Roads in the Model Forest ·1 Management Area (MFMA) Sarawak
I -: .,
.' , ... J
'. ' .. ...
(1) Shorea macrophylla (Engkabang jantong); (2) Anthocephalus cadomba (I(elampayan); (3) Dryobalanops (Kapur); and (4)
Azadirachta excelsa (Sentang)
Ernest Chai Oi Khun
-I I -I -1 -,
, -I I
- 1 ! -
' .. ~
5. Kapur (Non-decorative) 6. Keruing (Non-decorative) 7. Resak (Decorative) 8. Selangan batu (Non-decorative) 9. Lun (Decorative) 10. Sentang (Decorative)
The objective of these experiments is to investigate on the possibility to re-stock and to regenerate abandoned logging roads with indigenous tree species (Dipterocarp and non-Dipterocarp) by making used of the mounted soils at the side of the logging roads.
Four species are selected for the experiment:-
1. Shorea macrophylla (Engkabang jantong) 2. Anthocephalus cadomba (Kelampayan) 3. Dryobalanops (Kapur) 4. Azadirachta excelsa (Sentang)
5.1 Numbering of the seedlings
All the seedlings must be numbered in a running order as RlIO 1, RlI02, RlI03 ... (Replicate lIseedling no. 1). A proper form will be used to record all the assessments.
5.2. Experimental design
Components of the experiment are:-
(1) Four species (2) Treatment: planted on the mounts with fertilisers treatment and control (no-
fertiliser treatment) (3) Three replicates (4) 40 seedlings per treatment/speices
Total number of seedlings required = 4 sp x 3 rep x 2 treat x 40 seed = 960
All the seedlings are to be planted along the mount and spacing is 1 m apart and shaded with fern leaves to protect seedlings from direct sunlight.
._ .. _.;....:.: .. ....
--MFMA - PLANTING SITES SKEfCH MAP
( TIl193JCoupe 18 - Block 6, 7.& 8 )
/ , r Logging Road (2.0 km long ) /
To RH Basa Camp
11 EFEIiENCE: : ( Map not to scale )
Planting Area fur Experiment 02 Replicate 1
Planting Area fur Experiment 02 Replicate 2
Planting Area fur Experiment 02 Replicate J
Planting Area in Skid Trail
- Plot of Experiment 01 , see notes helow : Experiment 01: Planting on compacted soil:
Log landing area and logging road ( 4 sp x 2 b'eatment x J replicate x 40 seed I rep )
Bxperiment 02: Planting along the road side on mounted soil ( 4 sp x 2 b'eatment x J replicate x 40 seed I rep )
Experiment 01 Replicate 1
Experiment 02 Replicate 1
Experiment 02 Replicate 2
Experiment 01 Replicate 2
Experiment 02 R.eplicate J
Experiment 01 ReplicateJ
l j l I J I 1'1
.. ~ ;.:.
For the control, no fertiliser will be applied to the seedlings. For the seedlings with fertiliser treatment, 100 gm ofNPK (12:12:18%) will be applied to each. All the planting holes will be dug out by a hoe or 'chengko' (weight: 5 lb. ) for at least 30 cm deep with a diameter of 20 cm.
Layout of Experiment 02 Planting Along Abandoned Logging Road
with Four Species, Two Treatments and Three Repicates
PLT 2 " -----+ Replicate 1
PLT 5 PLT6
Sketch not to sclae
~ Start / End pain of a Replicate/Plot Each replicate with 8 plots (sections)
® Plot marker (PLT). Two treatments in a plot.
Planted Skid Trail (100 gm NPK each)
Each plot with 1 control and 1 fertilisered per species, 1. Eng. jantong (140 seedlings) planted with 40 seedlings per species (4 sp x 8 plot x 40 =360/rep) 2. Kapor empedu (200 ssed.)
3. Kelampayan (200 seed.) Total 540 seeulings
Table 1: Assessment and Maintenance Schedule for Experiments 02
Maint. Schedule Age in Maintenance ACtivities Remark No. Date month ( assessment)
1 October 1998 0 Establishment, assess collar diameter & height, Completed by applied 100 gm NPK (treatment seedlings only). November 98
2 Feb 1999 3 assess collar diam and height, 200 gm NPK (treatment seedlings only), weed & creeper clearing
3. May 1999 6 assess collar diam and height, 300 gm NPK Prepare 1 Sl Interim Report (treatment seedlings only), weed & creeper clearing
4 Aug 1999 9 assess collar diam and height, weed & creeper clearing
5 Nov 1999 12 assess collar diam and height, weed & creeper Prepare 2nd interim Report clearing
6 May 2000 18 assess collar diam and height, weed & creeper clearing
7 Nov 2000 24 assess collar diam and height, weed & creeper Last assessment. Prepare clearing final report
Seedlings Planted Along Road Sides
.i I: J e
I I I '
~i ,', 1
' I ! ," :1 j
r- . I' , \ -'
,:1 " 1-" , 1,' -)
'1 , I
r .• ~
i I I"
, ! 1 , ' 1
Seedlings Planted Along Road Sides
I [ 1· I j
~·I I .
Maintenance of the seedlings should be carried out at the same time when the asses~ments are carried out. This includes weeding and removal of creepers on the seedlings. Weed removal by 'chengko' should be done in a circular manner at a radius of 50 cm from the stem of the seedling.
5.4 Duration of the experiment
Due to the nature of the site and response of plants, the experiment for each of the above species is proposed to last for at least two years.
6. Estimated of total costs for Four Species
6.1 Fertiliser Application and Regime
For the fertiliser treatment seedlings, 100 gm of NPK (12:12:18%) will be applied to each seedling, except the control. The planting hole should be filled with soil and compact the soil by feet so that the soil will be firmed and will not be washed away by rain water.
Two subsequent applications of fertilisers at 200 gm and 300 gm of NPK per seedling for the fertilised plots. This will be carried out on the 3rd and 6th month respectively after planting. A small trench of 10 cm depth to be dug with a hoe and into which, the fertilisers will be placed and then covered with soil completely. The circular trench shall be below the edge of the circumference of the branches.
The amount ofNPK required for one species will be:-
1. NPK required per seedling = 100 + 200 + 300 gm = 600 gm 2. Total NPK required for 480 seedlings = 96012 x 600 gm = 288,000 gm
= 288 kg 3. Skid trails 540 seedling x 100 gm = 54000 gm = 54 kg
I r I '
I. .1 I ' l "
The total amount ofNPK for four (4) species:-
Estimated cost of per 25 kg/packing @ RM 38.
RM 38 x 288/25 RM 38 x 54/25
RM 437.80 RM 82.10
RM 519.90 =====================
Planting, site preparation and establishment of the experiment will be carried out by one crew and is estimated to be completed within 20 to 25 days including moving as:-
1. Crew Leader (F orest Ranger) 2. Forest guardslNursery man /Mandor 3. One driver 4. Causal Labouers/camp boy
6.3 Total Costs of the Experiment
1. Manpower 2. Fertiliser cost (including skid trail)
Persons x day x rate = total
- 1 x 25 x 48 = RM 1,200 - 2 x 25 x 48 = RM 2,400 - 1 x 25 x 48 = RM 1,200 - 7x25 x65.40= RM 11,445
Estimated Cost RM 16,245.00
RM 16,245.00 RM 519.90
3. Purchased Sentang @ 1.50/seedling x 240 RM 360.00
Total Cost RM 17,124.90
7. Soil Type
The soil type, level and depth of soil compaction, moisture and mineral content at the experimental sites.
. I. I :j LJ
:: II 11 ( .)
:) !-1 , :1
. ~ :- ...
It is assumed that there are no differences III the soil conditions and compaction in the two replicates.
9. Result and Analysis
1. T -test on the initial diameter and height of the seedlings - to detect if there is any differences in the initial stage of the seedlings.
2. T -test on the diameter and height increment; to detect any periodic differences in growth of each site for each species for second, third and fourth assessments after planting.
3. ANOVAR on the diameter and height increment on the two sites (replicates) for each species.
10. Interim and Final Reports
Interim ' report will be prepared one year after the establishment of the experiment.
Final report on the findings of the experiment after 18 months of the planting will be submitted to the Project leader ofMFMA.
In the final report, recommendations based on the findings of the experiments will be proposed for consideration.