PBworksfspsliteracy.pbworks.com/w/file/fetch/57755854/2nd Grade... · Web viewT304-T305 Long Vowels...

Assessment FORT SMITH SCHOOLS – Grade 2 Curriculum: Literacy & Integrated Content WEEK 1 READING WORKSHOP: WHOLE GROUP LESSONS COMMON CORE STATE STANDARDS OBJECTIVE ESSENTIAL VOCABULARY RESOURCES LESSON FOCUS MATERIALS, EXPLANATIONS & EXAMPLES ASSESSMENTS Daily Language/Vocabulary Vocabulary Setting Up rituals & Routines *Teacher selected read alouds Optional Comprehens ive Screening Assessmen t: CC.L.2.6 Use words and phrases acquired through conversations, reading and being read to, and responding to texts, including using adjectives and adverbs to describe (e.g., When other kids are happy that makes me happy). I will use words and phrases learned through talking. I will use words and phrases learned through reading. I will use words and phrases learned through being read to. I will use words and phrases learned through responding Phrases Adjectives Adverbs Responding to texts IRA2-3: August 2012 Quarter 1-1

Transcript of PBworksfspsliteracy.pbworks.com/w/file/fetch/57755854/2nd Grade... · Web viewT304-T305 Long Vowels...

Page 1: PBworksfspsliteracy.pbworks.com/w/file/fetch/57755854/2nd Grade... · Web viewT304-T305 Long Vowels o, u, e PB: Vol. 1, p. 48 Day 3 T328-T329 Sounds for g PB: Vol. 1, p. 53 Day 4

Assessment FORT SMITH SCHOOLS – Grade 2 Curriculum: Literacy & Integrated Content WEEK 1

READING WORKSHOP: WHOLE GROUP LESSONS

COMMON CORE STATE STANDARDS OBJECTIVE ESSENTIAL VOCABULARY RESOURCES LESSON FOCUS

MATERIALS, EXPLANATIONS &

EXAMPLESASSESSMENTS

Daily Language/Vocabulary VocabularySetting Up rituals &

Routines

• *Teacher selected read alouds

Optional ComprehensiveScreening Assessment:

CC.L.2.6 Use words and phrases acquired through conversations, reading and being read to, and responding to texts, including using adjectives and adverbs to describe (e.g., When other kids are happy that makes me happy).

I will use words and phrases learned through talking. I will use words and phrases learnedthrough reading. I will use words and phrases learnedthrough being read to. I will use words and phrases learned through responding to texts. I will use adjectives to describe. I will use adverbs to describe.

PhrasesAdjectives Adverbs

Responding to texts

IRA2-3:

Word Work/Phonics PhonicsTeach Rituals &

Routines for Word Work

CC.RF.2.3 Know and apply grade-level phonics and word analysis skills in decoding words.CC.RF.2.3a Distinguish long and short vowels when reading regularly spelled one-syllable words.

I will distinguish long and short vowels in one syllable words.

Distinguish SyllableVowels

PTR: p.105-127WJ:WTW :

CC.RF.2.3 Know and apply grade-level phonics and word analysis skills in decoding words.CC.RF.2.3f Recognize and read grade appropriate irregularly spelled words.

I will recognize and read irregularly spelled words.

RecognizeIrregularly

TRS: Chapter 7 PTR:WTW:WJ:

Comprehension Comprehension/ Teacher selects read August 2012 Quarter 1-1

Page 2: PBworksfspsliteracy.pbworks.com/w/file/fetch/57755854/2nd Grade... · Web viewT304-T305 Long Vowels o, u, e PB: Vol. 1, p. 48 Day 3 T328-T329 Sounds for g PB: Vol. 1, p. 53 Day 4

Assessment FORT SMITH SCHOOLS – Grade 2 Curriculum: Literacy & Integrated Content WEEK 1

FluencySetting Up rituals & Routines for Reading Workshop

Skill:Read to self (on independent level

text

Strategy: Retelling

Genre: all types

aloud texts to model and make thinking transparent

Work on procedures to:Read to Self (on level texts)

Work on procedures to: Retell a Familiar Text

Work on procedures to: Establishing Routines

Optional ComprehensiveScreening Assessment:

CC.RL.2.1 Ask and answer such questions who, what, where, when, why, and how to demonstrate understanding of key details in a text.

I will ask who, what, where, when, why and how questions. I will answer who, what, where, when, why, and how questions.

DemonstrateKey details

STW: p. 17-18, 110-122, 177 IRA2-3: p. 5CT : Lessons 8-11RP:

CC.RL.2.10 By the end of year, read and comprehend literature, including stories and poetry, in the grades 2-3 text complexity band proficiently, with scaffolding as needed at the high end of the range.

I will read and comprehend grade level literature.

LiteratureProsePoetry

Poetry: PTTPGR:STW:

Reading Standards for Informational TextCC.RI.2.10 By the end of year, read and comprehend informational texts, including history/social studies, science, and technical texts, in the grades 2-3 text complexity band proficiently, scaffolding as needed at the high end of the range.

I will read and comprehend grade level informationaltext.

ComprehendInformational

text

GRW:STW2:RWM:NRP:RP:

Spelling SpellingTeach Rituals &

Routines for Spelling

Spelling Words:

Work on procedures for spelling materials

Work on procedures for using picture cards in work stations

CC.L.2.2 Demonstrate command of the conventions of standard English capitalization, punctuation, and spelling when writing.CC.L.2.2d Generalize learned spelling patterns when writing words. (e.g., cage – badge; boy – boil).

I will use generalized spelling patterns when writing words.

Spelling patterns

WJ:WTWMM2-3: p. 47-52, 81-96

Speaking and Listening StandardsCC.SL.2.1 Participate in collaborative conversations with diverse partners about grade 2 topics and texts with peers and adults in small and larger groups.CC.SL.2.1a Follow agreed- upon rules for discussion (e.g., gaining the floor in respectful ways, listening to others with care, speaking one at a time about the topics and texts under discussion).

I will follow our rules when we are having discussions.

Discussions http://www.ascd.org/publications/books/108035/chapters/Procedures-for-Classroom-Talk.aspxhttp://www.learningthroughlistening.org/SiteData/docs/evs-Language%20for%20Social%20Interaction%20Checklist/a587da1b85b8971ac6aa09573276120b/evs-Language%20for%20Social%20Interaction%20Checklist.pdfGRW:

Teach Rituals & Routines for Speaking and Listening

Work on procedures for whole group discussion

Work on procedures for small group discussion

Work on procedures for partners

CC.SL.2.6 Produce complete sentences when I will produce complete

DetailClarification

http://www.reading.org/Publish.aspx?page=bk769-

August 2012 Quarter 1-2

Page 3: PBworksfspsliteracy.pbworks.com/w/file/fetch/57755854/2nd Grade... · Web viewT304-T305 Long Vowels o, u, e PB: Vol. 1, p. 48 Day 3 T328-T329 Sounds for g PB: Vol. 1, p. 53 Day 4

appropriate to task and situation in order to provide requested detail or clarification.

sentences to provide detail or clarification.

intro-Resnick.pdf&mode=retrieve&D=10.1598/978087207690.intro&F=bk769-intro-Resnick.pdf&key=EA5EF8A6-7010-4AAB-89F5-3064B1B57522Appendix A:GRW:

WRITING WORKSHOP: WHOLE GROUP LESSONS

COMMON CORE STATE STANDARDS 0BJECTIVE ESSENTIAL VOCABULARY RESOURCES LESSON FOCUS

EXAMPLESASSESSMENTS

GrammarCC.L.2.1 Demonstrate command of the conventions of standard English grammar and usage when writing or speaking.CC.L.2.1f Produce, expand, and rearrange complete simple and compound sentences (e.g., The boy watched the movie; The little boy watched the movie; The action movie was watched by the little boy.)

I will produce complete simple and compound sentences. I will expand complete simple and compound sentences.I will rearrange complete simple and compound sentences.

Produce Expand

CompleteSimple

Compound

MM2-3:TDC: p. 57-58

GrammarTeach Rituals &

Routines for Grammar

Work on procedures for grammar materials

Writing

August 2012 Quarter 1-3

Page 4: PBworksfspsliteracy.pbworks.com/w/file/fetch/57755854/2nd Grade... · Web viewT304-T305 Long Vowels o, u, e PB: Vol. 1, p. 48 Day 3 T328-T329 Sounds for g PB: Vol. 1, p. 53 Day 4

CC.W.2.3 Write narratives in which they recount a well-elaborated event or short sequence of events, include details to describe actions, thoughts, and feelings, use temporal words to signal event order, and provide a sense of closure.

I will write a narrative that recounts an event. I will add details to describe actions, thoughts and feelings. I will use temporal (transition) words. I will write a story with closure. (conclusion)

Narrative Recount

Event Include Details

TransitionConclusion

ClosureTemporal words

http://www.readwritethink.org/professional-development/strategy-guides/shared-writing-30686.html?tab=2#tabsIs That a Fact?, p 187-209Small Moments Appendix A:Appendix C:GRW:CL:

WritingTeach Rituals &

Routines for Writing Workshop

Work on establishing routinesWork on introducing 2 Kinds of WritingWork on planning a

Narrative Brainstorming a list of

topics• Brainstorming a list of forms

CC.W.2.5 With guidance and support from adults and peers, focus on a topic and strengthen writing as needed by revising and editing.

I will strengthen my writing by revising and editing.

ReviseEdit

Topic

http://www.readingrecovery.org/pdf/conferences/nc10/handouts/lutz.pdfAL: p. 69-71PPW: p 130-136CR:SYW: p. 62-65Launching the WW: p.109-114WR: TSS: p. 79-103

SMALL GROUP STANDARDSReading Standards: Foundational SkillsCC.RF.2.4 Read with sufficient accuracy and fluency to support comprehension.CC.RF.2.4a Read on-level text with purpose and understanding.CC.RF.2.4b Read on-level text orally with accuracy, appropriate rate, and expression on successive readings.CC.RF.2.4c Use context to confirm or self-correct word recognition and understanding, rereading as necessary.

CONTENT AREA STANDARDS & LESSONSSOCIAL STUIDES

SOCIAL STUIDES STANDARDS: FOCUS MATERIALS & LINKS TO LESSONS NOTEBOOK PROMPTSSCIENCE

SCIENCE STANDARDS: FOCUS/ESSENTIAL QUESTIONS MATERIALS NOTEBOOK PROMPTS

August 2012 Quarter 1-4

Page 5: PBworksfspsliteracy.pbworks.com/w/file/fetch/57755854/2nd Grade... · Web viewT304-T305 Long Vowels o, u, e PB: Vol. 1, p. 48 Day 3 T328-T329 Sounds for g PB: Vol. 1, p. 53 Day 4

Unit 1 Lesson 1 FORT SMITH SCHOOLS – Grade 2 Curriculum: Literacy & Integrated Content WEEK 2

COMMON CORE STATE STANDARDS OBJECTIVE ESSENTIAL VOCABULARY RESOURCES LESSON FOCUS

EXAMPLESASSESSMENTS

Daily Language/Vocabulary Phonemic Awareness

Identify PhonemesCount Syllables

TARGETED VOCABULARY &

STRATEGIES

STRATEGY:Alphabetical Order

WORD CARDSCards 1-8

TARGET VOCABULARY:

curly, straight, floppy, drooled, weighed, stood,

collars, row

Weekly Plan T6-T7Day 1T13

Day 2T25

Day 3T43

Day 4T53

Day 5T63

AL: phonemes, syllables

Weekly Plan T6-T7

Day 1Daily Vocabulary BoostT13Read Aloud “The Perfect Pet”T14-T15CLLG: p. 41Projectable 1.1(Model Oral Fluency)Introduce VocabularyT16-T17

Day 2Daily Vocabulary BoostT25Develop BackgroundT28-T29“At the Animal Shelter”

Day 3Daily Vocabulary BoostT43

Weekly TestsT70

1.2-1.3CC.L.2.4 Determine or clarify the meaning of unknown and multiple-meaning words and phrases based on grade 2 reading and content, choosing flexibly form an array of strategies.CC.L.2.4a Use sentence-level context as a clue to the meaning of a word or phrase.

I will use context clues to determine meaning of a word or phrase.

Context cluesPhrase

BWL:TRS: p. 541-544

CC.L.2.4 Determine or clarify the meaning of unknown and multiple-meaning words and phrases based on grade 2 reading and content, choosing flexibly form an array of strategies.CC.L.2.4e Use glossaries and beginning dictionaries, both print and digital, to determine or clarify the meaning of words and phrases.

I will use glossaries and dictionaries to understand or explain the meaning of words and phrases.

GlossariesDictionaries

http://www.wordcentral.com/http://kids.yahoo.com/reference/dictionary/englishBWL:

CC.L.2.5 Demonstrate understanding of word relationships and nuances in word meanings.CC. L.2.5a Identify real-life connections between words and their use (e.g., describe foods that are spicy or juicy).

I will make real-life connections between words and their use.

Connections https://www.teachingchannel.org/videos/improving-student-vocabularyhttp://www.readingrockets.org/strategies/semantic_gradients/BWL:WJ:WTW:

CC.L.2.6 Use words and phrases acquired through conversations, reading and being read to, and responding to texts, including using adjectives and adverbs to describe (e.g., When other kids are happy that makes me happy).

I will use words and phrases learned through talking. I will use words and phrases learnedthrough reading. I will use words and phrases learnedthrough being read to. I will use words and phrases learned through responding to texts.

Responding to texts

IRA2-3:

August 2012 Quarter 1-5

Page 6: PBworksfspsliteracy.pbworks.com/w/file/fetch/57755854/2nd Grade... · Web viewT304-T305 Long Vowels o, u, e PB: Vol. 1, p. 48 Day 3 T328-T329 Sounds for g PB: Vol. 1, p. 53 Day 4

Unit 1 Lesson 1 FORT SMITH SCHOOLS – Grade 2 Curriculum: Literacy & Integrated Content WEEK 2

I will use adjectives to describe. I will use adverbs to describe.

Day 4Daily Vocabulary BoostT53Vocabulary StrategiesT58-T59Projectable 1.10(Alphabetical Order)PB: Vol. 1, p. 12

Day 5Daily Vocabulary BoostT63

Word Work/Phonics Phonics

Short Vowels a, i

CVC Syllable Pattern

Weekly Plan T6-T7Day 1T18-T20Short Vowels a, iPB: Vol. 1, p. 1Decodable Reader“We Camp”

Day 2T26-T27Short Vowels a, iPB: Vol. 1, p. 3

Day 3T44-T45CVC Syllable PatternPB: Vol. 1, p. 8

Day 4T54-T55Review

Day 5T70

Assessment

Weekly Tests T70

1.7-1.8CC.RF.2.3 Know and apply grade-level phonics and word analysis skills in decoding words.CC.RF.2.3a Distinguish long and short vowels when reading regularly spelled one-syllable words.

PTR: p.105-127WJ:WTW:

CC.RF.2.3 Know and apply grade-level phonics and word analysis skills in decoding words.CC.RF.2.3f Recognize and read grade appropriate irregularly spelled words.

RecognizeIrregularly

Comprehension Comprehension

Skill:Sequence Events

Strategy: Infer/Predict

Main Selection“Henry and Mudge”Genre: Realistic FictionT32-T38; SB: p. 14-24CLLG: p. 40Introduce: Sequence of Events; Infer/Predict

Weekly TestsT71

1.4-1.6

CC.RL.2.1 Ask and answer such questions who, what, where, when, why, and how to demonstrate understanding of key details in a text.

I will ask who, what, where, when, why and how questions. I will answer who, what,

DemonstrateKey details

August 2012 Quarter 1-6

Page 7: PBworksfspsliteracy.pbworks.com/w/file/fetch/57755854/2nd Grade... · Web viewT304-T305 Long Vowels o, u, e PB: Vol. 1, p. 48 Day 3 T328-T329 Sounds for g PB: Vol. 1, p. 53 Day 4

where, when, why, and how questions.

Genre: Realistic Fiction/ Informational

Text

Fluency:Accuracy: Word

Recognition

Essential Question:Why is the order of

events in a story important?

T30-T31Projectable 1.4PB: Vol. 1, p. 4 Develop Comprehension T34-T37Projectables 1.5a, 1.5b (Flow Chart)Deepen Comprehension T48-T49Projectable 1.8(Flow Chart: Retell Sequence of Events)PB: Vol. 1, p. 9

AL: infer, predict, sequence of events, event

Connect To“All in the Family”Genre: Informational TextT56-T57; SB: p. 26-27MC: T57CLLG: p. 41

Optional Unit Assessment:

Benchmark and Unit Test Unit 1

(Arkansas Benchmark and

Unit Test)

CC.RL.2.7 Use information gained from the illustrations and words in a print or digital text to demonstrate understanding of its characters, setting, or plot.

I will use information gained from illustrations and words. I will demonstrate understanding of characters, setting, or plot.

IllustrationsCharacters

SettingPlot

Demonstrate

STW: p. 141-142GRW:

CC.RL.2.10 By the end of year, read and comprehend literature, including stories and poetry, in the grades 2-3 text complexity band proficiently, with scaffolding as needed at the high end of the range.

LiteratureProsePoetry

Reading Standards for Informational TextCC.RI.2.5 Know and use various text features (e.g., captions, bold print, subheadings, glossaries, indexes, electronic menus, icons) to locate key facts or information in a text efficiently.

I will know and use text features to locate key facts or information in a text.

Text features Key facts CaptionsBold print

SubheadingGlossaries

IndexesElectronic

menusIcons

http://www.hollyridge2.com/2011/04/nonfiction-text-features-jeopordy.htmlCT: Lessons 2 and 3 Weekly ReaderTime For KidsSpigot.com

CC.RI.2.10 By the end of year, read and comprehend informational texts, including history/social studies, science, and technical texts, in the grades 2-3 text complexity band proficiently, scaffolding as needed at the high end of the range.

ComprehendInformational

text

Spelling Spelling

Short Vowels a, i

Spelling Words:(Basic) sad, dig, jam, glad, list, win, flat, if,

fix, rip, kit, mask(Review) as, his

(Challenge) sandwich, picnic

Weekly Plan T6-T7

Day 1T22 Teach the

Principle/Pretest

Day 2T40 Teach/Word Sort

Day 3

Weekly TestsT66

Spelling Assessment

CC.L.2.2 Demonstrate command of the conventions of standard English capitalization, punctuation, and spelling when writing.CC.L.2.2d Generalize learned spelling patterns when writing words. (e.g., cage – badge; boy – boil).

Spelling patterns

WJ:WTW:MM2-3: p. 47-52, 81-96

CC.L.2.2 Demonstrate command of the conventions of standard English capitalization, punctuation, and spelling when writing.

I will use reference materials to

Referencematerials

http://www.wordcentral.com/http://kids.yahoo.com/reference/dictionary/english

August 2012 Quarter 1-7

Page 8: PBworksfspsliteracy.pbworks.com/w/file/fetch/57755854/2nd Grade... · Web viewT304-T305 Long Vowels o, u, e PB: Vol. 1, p. 48 Day 3 T328-T329 Sounds for g PB: Vol. 1, p. 53 Day 4

CC.L.2.2e Consult reference materials, including beginning dictionaries, as needed to check and correct spellings.

check my spelling.

MM2-3: p. 47-52, 81-96, 112 GRW:

T50 Segment Sounds/Build Words

Day 4T60 Connect to WritingPB: Vol. 1, p. 13

Day 5T66 Spelling Assessment

Speaking and Listening StandardsCC.SL.2.1 Participate in collaborative conversations with diverse partners about grade 2 topics and texts with peers and adults in small and larger groups.CC.SL.2.1a Follow agreed- upon rules for discussion (e.g., gaining the floor in respectful ways, listening to others with care, speaking one at a time about the topics and texts under discussion).

Discussions http://www.ascd.org/publications/books/108035/chapters/Procedures-for-Classroom-Talk.aspxhttp://www.learningthroughlistening.org/SiteData/docs/evs-Language%20for%20Social%20Interaction%20Checklist/a587da1b85b8971ac6aa09573276120b/evs-Language%20for%20Social%20Interaction%20Checklist.pdfGRW:

CC.SL.2.1 Participate in collaborative conversations with diverse partners about grade 2 topics and texts with peers and adults in small and larger groups.CC. SL.2.1b Build on others’ talk in conversations by linking their comments to the remarks of others.

I will build on others’ talk in conversation.

Conversation http://www.ascd.org/publications/books/108035/chapters/Procedures-for-Classroom-Talk.aspxTDC: p. 88-89STW2: p.169-172GRW :

CC.SL.2.1 Participate in collaborative conversations with diverse partners about grade 2 topics and texts with peers and adults in small and larger groups.CC.SL.2.1c Ask for clarification and further explanation as needed about the topics and texts under discussion.

I will ask clarifying questions about the topics and texts.

Conversation TDC: p. 88-89STW2: p.169-172

CC.SL.2.2 Recount or describe key ideas or details from a text read aloud or information presented orally or through other media.

I will describe key ideas from a text read aloud. I will describe

MediaDescribe

Brain PopKids CollegeEducation CityIRA2-3: p.49-52

August 2012 Quarter 1-8

Page 9: PBworksfspsliteracy.pbworks.com/w/file/fetch/57755854/2nd Grade... · Web viewT304-T305 Long Vowels o, u, e PB: Vol. 1, p. 48 Day 3 T328-T329 Sounds for g PB: Vol. 1, p. 53 Day 4

key ideas from information presented orally. I will describe key ideas from media.

CC.SL.2.4 Tell a story or recount an experience with appropriate facts and relevant, descriptive details, speaking audibly in coherent sentences.

I will tell a story with facts and descriptive details. I will recount an experience using facts and descriptive details. I will speak in complete sentences.

FactsDescriptive

DetailsExperience

http://www.readwritethink.org/classroom-resources/lesson-plans/integrating-language-arts-give-809.htmlGRW:Is That a Fact?CL:

CC.SL.2.6 Produce complete sentences when appropriate to task and situation in order to provide requested detail or clarification.

I will produce complete sentences to provide detail or clarification.

DetailClarification

http://www.reading.org/Publish.aspx?page=bk769-intro-Resnick.pdf&mode=retrieve&D=10.1598/978087207690.intro&F=bk769-intro-Resnick.pdf&key=EA5EF8A6-7010-4AAB-89F5-3064B1B57522Appendix A:GRW:

COMMON CORE STATE STANDARDS 0BJECTIVE ESSENTIAL VOCABULARY RESOURCES LESSON FOCUS

EXAMPLESASSESSMENTS

GrammarCC.L.2.1 Demonstrate command of the conventions of standard English grammar and usage when writing or speaking.CC.L.2.1e Use adjectives and adverbs and choose between them depending on what is to be modified.

I will use adjectives and adverbs correctly.

AdjectivesAdverbs

MM2-3: p. 72-74,112 Grammar

Subjects and Predicates

Weekly Plan T6-T7

Day 1T22 SubjectsProjectable 1.2PB: Vol. 1, p. 2

Day 2 T40 PredicatesProjectable 1.6PB: Vol. 1, p. 6

Weekly TestsT71

1.9-1.10

CC.L.2.1 Demonstrate command of the conventions of standard English grammar and usage when writing or speaking.CC.L.2.1f Produce, expand, and rearrange complete simple and compound sentences (e.g., The boy watched the movie; The little boy

I will produce complete simple and compound sentences. I will expand complete simple

Produce Expand

CompleteSimple

Compound

August 2012 Quarter 1-9

Page 10: PBworksfspsliteracy.pbworks.com/w/file/fetch/57755854/2nd Grade... · Web viewT304-T305 Long Vowels o, u, e PB: Vol. 1, p. 48 Day 3 T328-T329 Sounds for g PB: Vol. 1, p. 53 Day 4

watched the movie; The action movie was watched by the little boy.)

and compound sentences. I will rearrange complete simple and compound sentences.

Day 3T50 What is a Sentence?PB: Vol. 1, p. 11

Day 4T60 Spiral Review:

ContractionsPB: Vol. 1, p. 14

Day 5T66-T67 Review: Subjects

& PredicatesConnect to Writing:

Sentence FluencyPB: Vol. 1, p. 15

AL: subject, predicate

CC.L.2.2 Demonstrate command of the conventions of standard English capitalization, punctuation, and spelling when writing.CC.L.2.2c Use an apostrophe to form contractions and frequently occurring possessives.

I will use an apostrophe to form contractions. I will use an apostrophe to form possessives.

ApostropheContractionsPossessives

MM2-3: p. 90

WritingCC.W.2.3 Write narratives in which they recount a well-elaborated event or short sequence of events, include details to describe actions, thoughts, and feelings, use temporal words to signal event order, and provide a sense of closure.

I will write a narrative that recounts an event. I will add details to describe actions, thoughts and feelings. I will use temporal (transition) words. I will write a story with closure. (conclusion)

Narrative Recount

Event Include Details

TransitionConclusion

ClosureTemporal words

http://www.readwritethink.org/professional-development/strategy-guides/shared-writing-30686.html?tab=2#tabsIs That a Fact?, p 187-209Small Moments: Appendix A:Appendix C:GRW:CL:

Writing

Write to Narrate:Sentences That Tell a

True Story

Focus Trait: Ideas

Weekly Plan T6-T7

Day 1T23 Introduce the Model:

Sentences That Tell a True Story

Projectable 1.3(Writing Model: Sentences

That Tell a True Story)

Day 2T41 Focus Trait: Ideas(Details)PB: Vol. 1, p. 7

Day 3T51 Sequence of Events Projectable 1.9

Day 4T61 Adjectives

Writing Trait Scoring Rubric

T69

Optional Weekly Writing Prompt:

Describe your neighborhood in a

few sentences.

Write three or more sentences to tell about a favorite

pet or a pet you would like to have,

(reference Journeys writing

rubric before lesson 1Foucs

CC.W.2.5 With guidance and support from adults and peers, focus on a topic and strengthen writing as needed by revising and editing.

ReviseEdit

Topic

http://www.readingrecovery.org/pdf/conferences/nc10/handouts/lutz.pdfAL: p. 69-71PPW: p 130-136CR:SYW: p. 62-65

August 2012 Quarter 1-10

Page 11: PBworksfspsliteracy.pbworks.com/w/file/fetch/57755854/2nd Grade... · Web viewT304-T305 Long Vowels o, u, e PB: Vol. 1, p. 48 Day 3 T328-T329 Sounds for g PB: Vol. 1, p. 53 Day 4

Launching the WW: p.109-114WR: TSS: p. 79-103

Projectable 1.11(Drafting Sentences That

Tell a True Story)

Day 5T68-T69 Revise & Edit(Ideas)Projectable 1.12(Revising Megan’s Draft)

Wall)

CC.W.2.7 Participate in shared research and writing projects (e.g., read a number of books on a single topic to produce a report; record science observations).

I will participate in shared research. I will participate in writing projects.

ParticipateResearchprojects

http://kids.britannica.com/IW: Chapter 11

CC.W.2.8 Recall information from experiences or gather information form provided sources to answer a question.

I will recall information from experiences to answer a question. I will gather information to answer a question.

RecallExperiences

Gather

SMALL GROUP STANDARDSReading Standards: Foundational SkillsCC.RF.2.4 Read with sufficient accuracy and fluency to support comprehension.CC.RF.2.4a Read on-level text with purpose and understanding.CC.RF.2.4b Read on-level text orally with accuracy, appropriate rate, and expression on successive readings.CC.RF.2.4c Use context to confirm or self-correct word recognition and understanding, rereading as necessary.

SOCIAL STUIDES STANDARDS: FOCUS MATERIALS & LINKS TO LESSONS NOTEBOOK PROMPTSSCIENCE

August 2012 Quarter 1-11

Page 12: PBworksfspsliteracy.pbworks.com/w/file/fetch/57755854/2nd Grade... · Web viewT304-T305 Long Vowels o, u, e PB: Vol. 1, p. 48 Day 3 T328-T329 Sounds for g PB: Vol. 1, p. 53 Day 4

Unit 1 Lesson 2 FORT SMITH SCHOOLS – Grade 2 Curriculum: Literacy & Integrated Content WEEK 3

EXAMPLESASSESSMENTS

Identify PhonemesSyllables

TARGETED VOCABULARY &

STRATEGIES

STRATEGY:Using a Glossary

WORD CARDSCards 9 – 16

TARGET VOCABULARY:remembered, porch,

crown, spend, stuck, visit, cousin, piano

Weekly Plan T98-T99Day 1T105

Day 2T117

Day 3T137

Day 4T147

Day 5T157

Weekly Plan T98-T99

Day 1Daily Vocabulary BoostT105 Read Aloud“More Than a Best Friend”T106-T107 CLLG: p. 43Projectable 2.1 (Model

Oral Fluency)Introduce VocabularyT108-109 Day 2Daily Vocabulary BoostT117Develop BackgroundT120-T121“Family Visits”

Day 3Daily Vocabulary Boost

Weekly TestsT164

2.2-2.4CC.L.2.4 Determine or clarify the meaning of unknown and multiple-meaning words and phrases based on grade 2 reading and content, choosing flexibly form an array of strategies.CC.L.2.4a Use sentence-level context as a clue to the meaning of a word or phrase.

Context cluesPhrase

CC.L.2.4 Determine or clarify the meaning of unknown and multiple-meaning words and phrases based on grade 2 reading and content, choosing flexibly form an array of strategies.CC.L.2.4e Use glossaries and beginning dictionaries, both print and digital, to determine or clarify the meaning of words and phrases.

I will use glossaries and dictionaries to understand or explain the meaning of words and phrases.

GlossariesDictionaries

http://www.wordcentral.com/http://kids.yahoo.com/reference/dictionary/englishBWL :TRS:

CC.L.2.5 Demonstrate understanding of word relationships and nuances in word meanings.CC. L.2.5a Identify real-life connections between words and their use (e.g., describe foods that are spicy or juicy).

Connections https://www.teachingchannel.org/videos/improving-student-vocabularyhttp://www.readingrockets.org/strategies/semantic_gradients/BWL:WJ:WTW:

I will use words and phrases learned through talking. I will use words and phrases learnedthrough reading. I will use words and phrases learnedthrough being read

Responding to texts

IRA2-3:

August 2012 Quarter 1-12

Page 13: PBworksfspsliteracy.pbworks.com/w/file/fetch/57755854/2nd Grade... · Web viewT304-T305 Long Vowels o, u, e PB: Vol. 1, p. 48 Day 3 T328-T329 Sounds for g PB: Vol. 1, p. 53 Day 4

Unit 1 Lesson 2 FORT SMITH SCHOOLS – Grade 2 Curriculum: Literacy & Integrated Content WEEK 3

to. I will use words and phrases learnedthrough responding to texts. I will use adjectives to describe. I will use adverbs to describe.

T137

Day 4Daily Vocabulary BoostT147Vocabulary StrategiesT152-T153Projectable 2.10(Using a Glossary)PB: Vol. 1, p. 27

Day 5Daily Vocabulary Boost157

Short Vowels o ,u, e

CVC Syllable Pattern

Weekly Plan T98-T99

Day 1T110-T113Short Vowels o, u, ePB: Vol. 1, p. 16Decodable Reader“Bud, Ben, and Roz”

Day 2T118-T119Short Vowels o, u, ePB: Vol. 1, p. 18 Day 3T138-T141CVC Syllable PatternPB: Vol. 1, p. 23

Day 4T148-T149Review

Day 5T164Assessment

Weekly TestsT164

2.7-2.8CC.RF.2.3 Know and apply grade-level phonics and word analysis skills in decoding words.CC.RF.2.3a Distinguish long and short vowels when reading regularly spelled one-syllable words.

RecognizeIrregularly

August 2012 Quarter 1-13

Page 14: PBworksfspsliteracy.pbworks.com/w/file/fetch/57755854/2nd Grade... · Web viewT304-T305 Long Vowels o, u, e PB: Vol. 1, p. 48 Day 3 T328-T329 Sounds for g PB: Vol. 1, p. 53 Day 4

Skill: Compare and Contrast

Strategy: Question

Genre: Informational Text/Poetry

Fluency:Accuracy: Words Connected in Text

Essential Question:

How are families alike and different?

Main Selection“My Family”Genre: Informational TextT124-T132; SB: p. 38-52CLLG: p. 42Introduce: Compare and Contrast; Question

T122-T123Projectable 2.4PB: Vol. 1, p. 19Develop Comprehension T126-T131

Projectables 2.5a, 2.5b(Venn Diagram)Deepen Comprehension T142-T143

Projectable 2.8(Venn Diagram: Compare & Contrast)

PB: Vol. 1, p. 24

AL: compare, contrast, characters, connect, events

Connect To “Family Poetry”Genre: PoetryT150-T151; SB: p. 54-57MC: T151CLLG: p. 43

Weekly TestsT165

2.5-2.6

(Arkansas Benchmark and

Unit Test)

CC.RL.2.4 Describe how words and phrases (e.g., regular beats, alliteration, rhymes, repeated lines) supply rhythm and meaning in a story, poem, or song.

I will describe how words and phrases supply rhythm and meaning in text.

RhythmPhrase

Alliteration

Poetry: PTTP: p. 11-29

LiteratureProsePoetry

Reading Standards for Informational TextCC.RI.2.1 Ask and answer such questions as who, what, where, when, why, and how to demonstrate understanding of key details in a text.

I will ask who, what, where, when, why, and how questions. I will answer who, what, where, when, why, and how questions.

Key details.

http://www.readwritethink.org/classroom-resources/lesson-plans/reading-informational-texts-using-951.htmlSTW2: p. 171-177

CC.RI.2.4 Determine the meaning of words and phrases in a text relevant to a grade 2 topic or subject area.

I will determine the meaning of words and phrases in a text or topic.

TextTopic

GR: p. 163-166 WJ :BWL:

CC.RI.2.5 Know and use various text features (e.g., captions, bold print, subheadings, glossaries, indexes, electronic menus, icons) to locate key facts or information in a text efficiently.

I will know and use text features to locate key facts or information in a text.

SubheadingGlossaries

IndexesElectronic

MenusIcons

http://www.hollyridge2.com/2011/04/nonfiction-text-features-jeopordy.htmlCT: Lessons 2 and 3 Weekly ReaderTime For KidsSpigot.com

CC.RI.2.6 Identify the main purpose of a text, including what the author wants to answer, explain, or describe.

I will identify the main purpose of a text. I will identify what the author wants to answer, explain, or describe.

IdentifyMain purpose

Text

NRP: Chapter 5STW2:

August 2012 Quarter 1-14

Page 15: PBworksfspsliteracy.pbworks.com/w/file/fetch/57755854/2nd Grade... · Web viewT304-T305 Long Vowels o, u, e PB: Vol. 1, p. 48 Day 3 T328-T329 Sounds for g PB: Vol. 1, p. 53 Day 4

CC.RI.2.7 Explain how specific images (e.g., a diagram showing how a machine works) contribute to and clarify a text.

I will explain how an image helps me understand the text.

ExplainImageText

NRP: p. 78

CC.RI.2.9 Compare and contrast the most important points presented by two texts on the same topic.

I will compare the most important points between tow texts on the same topic. I will contrast the most important points between two texts on the same topic.

Compare ContrastPoints Text

http://21centurylibrarian.ning.com/group/llc5790childrenslit/forum/topics/compare-and-contrast-of?xg_source=activity

CC.RI.2.10 By the end of year, read and comprehend informational texts, including history/social studies, science, and technical texts, in the grades 2-3 text complexity band proficiently, scaffolding as needed at the high end of the range.

ComprehendInformational

text

Spelling Spelling

Short Vowels o, u, e

Spelling Words:(Basic) wet, job, hug, rest, spot, mud, left, help, plum, nut, net,

hot(Review) get, not

(Challenge) lunch, spend

Weekly Plan T98-T99

Day 1T114 Teach the Principle/Pretest

Day 2T134 Teach/Word Sort

Day 3T144 Segment Sounds/Build Words

Day 4T154 Connect to Writing

PB: Vol. 1, p. 28

Day 5T160 Spelling Assessment

Weekly TestsT160

Spelling Assessment

Spelling patterns

CC.L.2.2 Demonstrate command of the conventions of standard English capitalization, punctuation, and spelling when writing.CC.L.2.2e Consult reference materials, including beginning dictionaries, as needed to check and correct spellings.

I will use reference materials to check my spelling.

Referencematerials

http://www.wordcentral.com/http://kids.yahoo.com/reference/dictionary/englishMM2-3: p. 47-52, 81-96, 112 GRW:

Speaking and Listening StandardsCC.SL.2.1 Participate in collaborative conversations with diverse partners about grade 2 topics and texts with peers and adults in small and larger groups.

Discussions http://www.learningthroughlistening.org/SiteData/docs/evs-Language

August 2012 Quarter 1-15

Page 16: PBworksfspsliteracy.pbworks.com/w/file/fetch/57755854/2nd Grade... · Web viewT304-T305 Long Vowels o, u, e PB: Vol. 1, p. 48 Day 3 T328-T329 Sounds for g PB: Vol. 1, p. 53 Day 4

CC.SL.2.1a Follow agreed- upon rules for discussion (e.g., gaining the floor in respectful ways, listening to others with care, speaking one at a time about the topics and texts under discussion).

%20for%20Social%20Interaction%20Checklist/a587da1b85b8971ac6aa09573276120b/evs-Language%20for%20Social%20Interaction%20Checklist.pdfGRW:

CC.SL.2.1 Participate in collaborative conversations with diverse partners about grade 2 topics and texts with peers and adults in small and larger groups.CC. SL.2.1b Build on others’ talk in conversations by linking their comments to the remarks of others.

Conversation http://www.ascd.org/publications/books/108035/chapters/Procedures-for-Classroom-Talk.aspxTDC: p. 88-89STW2: p.169-172GRW:

CC.SL.2.1 Participate in collaborative conversations with diverse partners about grade 2 topics and texts with peers and adults in small and larger groups.CC.SL.2.1c Ask for clarification and further explanation as needed about the topics and texts under discussion.

CC.SL.2.2 Recount or describe key ideas or details from a text read aloud or information presented orally or through other media.

I will describe key ideas from a text read aloud. I will describe key ideas from information presented orally. I will describe key ideas from media.

MediaDescribe

CC.SL.2.3 Ask and answer questions about what a speaker says in order to clarify comprehension, gather additional information, or deepen understanding of a topic or issue.

I will ask and answer questions for understanding.

Questions http://www.learningthroughlistening.org/SiteData/docs/evsActive%20Listening%20t%20chart/cda16f9462ca019ee4f2a7bc50a4f71d/evs-Active%20Listening%20t%20chart.pdfGRW:STW:RFM:

EXAMPLESASSESSMENTS

GrammarAugust 2012 Quarter 1-16

Page 17: PBworksfspsliteracy.pbworks.com/w/file/fetch/57755854/2nd Grade... · Web viewT304-T305 Long Vowels o, u, e PB: Vol. 1, p. 48 Day 3 T328-T329 Sounds for g PB: Vol. 1, p. 53 Day 4

CC.L.2.1 Demonstrate command of the conventions of standard English grammar and usage when writing and speaking.CC.L.2.1f Produce, expand, and rearrange complete simple and compound sentences (e.g., The boy watched the movie; The little boy watched the movie; The action movie was watched by the little boy).

I will produce complete simple and compound sentences. I will expand complete simple and compound sentences. I will rearrange complete simple and compound sentences.

ProduceExpand

CompleteSimple

Compound

MM2-3TDC: p. 57-58

Grammar

Complete Sentences

Weekly Plan T98-T99

Day 1T114 Is it a Sentence?Projectable 2.2PB: Vol. 1, p. 17

Day 2T134 Word Order in SentencesProjectable 2.6PB: Vol. 1, p. 21

Day 3T144 Run-on SentencesPB: Vol. 1, p. 26

Day 4T154 Spiral Review: Abbreviations

PB: Vol. 1, p. 28

Day 5T160-T161 Review: Complete SentencesConnect to Writing:Sentence FluencyPB: Vol. 1, p. 30

AL: sentence, run-on sentence

Weekly TestsT165

2.9-2.10

WritingCC.W.2.3 Write narratives in which they recount a well-elaborated event or short sequence of events, include details to describe actions, thoughts, and feelings, use temporal words to signal event order, and provide a sense of closure.

Narrative Recount

Event Include Details

TransitionConclusion

ClosureTemporal words

http://www.readwritethink.org/professional-development/strategy-guides/shared-writing-30686.html?tab=2#tabsIs That a Fact?, p 187-209Small Moments Appendix AAppendix C:GRW:CL:

Writing

Write to Narrate: Friendly Letter

Focus Trait:Voice

Weekly Plan T98-T99

Day 1T115 Introduce the Model: Friendly Letter Projectable 2.3(Writing Model: Friendly Letter)

Day 2T135 Focus Trait: Voice(Expressing Feelings) PB: Vol. 1, p. 22

T163

Tell about the family members

you live with.

What does the

August 2012 Quarter 1-17

Page 18: PBworksfspsliteracy.pbworks.com/w/file/fetch/57755854/2nd Grade... · Web viewT304-T305 Long Vowels o, u, e PB: Vol. 1, p. 48 Day 3 T328-T329 Sounds for g PB: Vol. 1, p. 53 Day 4

Day 3T145 Planning A LetterProjectable 2.9

Day 4T155 Parts of a Friendly LetterProjectable 2.11 (Drafting a Friendly Letter)

Day 5T162-T163 Revise & Edit (Voice)Projectable 2.12(Revising Nestor’s Draft)

author of “My family” want you to

know about families? Write three or more

sentences telling what the author

wants you to know.

rubric before lesson 2 Foucs

Wall)

ReviseEdit

Topic

http://www.readingrecovery.org/pdf/conferences/nc10/handouts/lutz.pdfAL: p. 69-71PPW: p 130-136CR:SYW: p. 62-65Launching the WW: p.109-114WR: TSS: p. 79-103

CC.W.2.7 Participate in shared research and writing projects (e.g., read a number of books on a single topic to produce a report; record science observations).

I will participate in shared research. I will participate in writing projects.

ParticipateResearchprojects

CC.L.2.2 Demonstrate command of the conventions of standard English capitalization, punctuation, and spelling when writing. CC.L.2.2b Use commas in greetings and closings of letters.

I will use commas in greetings and closings of letters.

CommasGreetingsClosings

MM2-3: p. 100CL:NCL:

CC.L.2.3 Use knowledge of language and its conventions when writing, speaking, reading, or listening. CC.L.2.3a Compare formal and informal uses of English.

I will compare formal and informal uses of English.

CompareFormalInformal

Uses

MM2-3:GRW:

August 2012 Quarter 1-18

Page 19: PBworksfspsliteracy.pbworks.com/w/file/fetch/57755854/2nd Grade... · Web viewT304-T305 Long Vowels o, u, e PB: Vol. 1, p. 48 Day 3 T328-T329 Sounds for g PB: Vol. 1, p. 53 Day 4

SOCIAL STUIDES STANDARDS: FOCUS MATERIALS & LINKS TO LESSONS NOTEBOOK PROMPTS

August 2012 Quarter 1-19

Page 20: PBworksfspsliteracy.pbworks.com/w/file/fetch/57755854/2nd Grade... · Web viewT304-T305 Long Vowels o, u, e PB: Vol. 1, p. 48 Day 3 T328-T329 Sounds for g PB: Vol. 1, p. 53 Day 4

Unit 1 Lesson 3 FORT SMITH SCHOOLS – Grade 2 Curriculum: Literacy & Integrated Content WEEK 4

EXAMPLESASSESSMENTS

Blend PhonemesSort Phonemes

TARGETED VOCABULARY &

STRATEGIES

STRATEGY:Multiple-Meaning Words

WORD CARDSCards 17-24

TARGET VOCABULARY:woods, turned, tops,

chipmunks, busy, picked, south, grew

Weekly Plan T192-193Day 1T199

Day 2T211

Day 3T229

Day 4T239

Day 5T249

Weekly Plan T6-T7

Day 1Daily Vocabulary BoostT199 Read Aloud“The Owl Hunt”T200-T201CLLG: p. 45Projectable 3.1 (Model Oral Fluency)Introduce VocabularyT202-T203

Day 2Daily Vocabulary BoostT211Develop BackgroundT214-T215“A Busy Season”

Day 3

Weekly TestsT256

3.6-3.8CC.L.2.4 Determine or clarify the meaning of unknown and multiple-meaning words and phrases based on grade 2 reading and content, choosing flexibly form an array of strategies.CC.L.2.4a Use sentence-level context as a clue to the meaning of a word or phrase.

Context cluesPhrase

GlossariesDictionaries

http://www.wordcentral.com/http://kids.yahoo.com/reference/dictionary/englishBWL:

August 2012 Quarter 1-20

Page 21: PBworksfspsliteracy.pbworks.com/w/file/fetch/57755854/2nd Grade... · Web viewT304-T305 Long Vowels o, u, e PB: Vol. 1, p. 48 Day 3 T328-T329 Sounds for g PB: Vol. 1, p. 53 Day 4

Unit 1 Lesson 3 FORT SMITH SCHOOLS – Grade 2 Curriculum: Literacy & Integrated Content WEEK 4

Daily Vocabulary BoostT229

Day 4Daily Vocabulary BoostT239Vocabulary StrategiesT244-T245Projectable 3.10(Multiple-Meaning Words)PB: Vol. 1, p. 42

Day 5 Daily Vocabulary BoostT249

CC.L.2.5 Demonstrate understanding of word relationships and nuances in word meanings.CC.L.2.5b Distinguish shades of meaning among closely related verbs (e.g., toss, throw, hurl) and closely related adjectives (e.g., thin, slender, skinny, scrawny).

I will distinguish the meaning of closely related verbs. I will distinguish the meaning of closely related adjectives.

DistinguishVerbs

AdjectivesClosely related

https://www.teachingchannel.org/videos/improving-student-vocabularyhttp://www.readingrockets.org/strategies/semantic_gradients/WJ:BWL:WTW :

I will use words and phrases learned through talking. I will use words and phrases learned through reading. I will use words and phrases learned through being read to. I will use words and phrases learnedthrough responding to texts. I will use adjectives to describe. I will use adverbs to describe.

Responding to texts

IRA2-3:

Word Work/Phonics Phonics Weekly Plan T192-193 Weekly TestsT256CC.RF.2.3 Know and apply grade-level phonics and I will distinguish Distinguish PTR: p.105-127

August 2012 Quarter 1-21

Page 22: PBworksfspsliteracy.pbworks.com/w/file/fetch/57755854/2nd Grade... · Web viewT304-T305 Long Vowels o, u, e PB: Vol. 1, p. 48 Day 3 T328-T329 Sounds for g PB: Vol. 1, p. 53 Day 4

word analysis skills in decoding words.CC.RF.2.3a Distinguish long and short vowels when reading regularly spelled one-syllable words.

long and short vowels in one syllable words.

SyllableVowels

WJ:WTW:

Long Vowels a, i

Sounds for c

Day 1T204-T207Long Vowels a, iPB: Vol. 1, p. 31Decodable Reader“City Ride”

Day 2T212-T213Long Vowels a, iPB: Vol. 1, p. 33

Day 3T230-T233Sounds for cPB: Vol. 1, p. 38

Day 4T240-T241Review

Day 5T256Assessment

3.12-3.15

RecognizeIrregularly

Skill: Author’s Purpose

Strategy: Analyze/Evaluate

Genre: Realistic Fiction/Informational

Text

Fluency: Accuracy: Self-Correct

Essential Question:Why might an author

Main Selection“ Henry and Mudge Under the Yellow Moon”

Genre: Realistic FictionT218-T224; SB: p. 66-76CLLG: p. 44Introduce: Author’s Purpose; Analyze/Evaluate T216-T217

Projectable 3.4PB: Vol. 1, p. 34Develop Comprehension T220-T223

Projectables 3.5a, 3.5b(Inference Map)Deepen Comprehension T234-T235

Weekly TestsT257

3.2-3.15

(Arkansas Benchmark and

Unit Test)

CC.RL.2.1 Ask and answer such questions as who, what, where, when, why, and how to demonstrate understanding of key details in a text.

I will ask who, what, where, when, why, and how questions. I will answer who, what, where, when, why, and how questions.

DemonstrateKey details

CC.RL.2.4 Describe how words and phrases (e.g., regular beats, alliteration, rhymes, repeated lines) supply rhythm and meaning in a story, poem, or song.

RhythmPhrase

Alliteration

CC.RL.2.7 Use information gained from the illustrations and words in a print or digital text to demonstrate understanding of its characters, setting, or plot.

I will use information gained from illustrations and words. I will demonstrate understanding of

IllustrationsCharacters

SettingPlot

Demonstrate

August 2012 Quarter 1-22

Page 23: PBworksfspsliteracy.pbworks.com/w/file/fetch/57755854/2nd Grade... · Web viewT304-T305 Long Vowels o, u, e PB: Vol. 1, p. 48 Day 3 T328-T329 Sounds for g PB: Vol. 1, p. 53 Day 4

characters, setting, or plot.

write a story? Projectable 3.8(Inference Map: Author’s Purpose)

PB: Vol. 1, p. 39

AL: analyze, author’s purpose, evaluate, infer

Connect To“Outdoor Adventures”Genre: Informational Text T242-T243; SB: p. 78-81MC: T243CLLG: p. 45

CC.RL.2.9 Compare and contrast two or more versions of the same story (e.g., Cinderella stories) by different authors or from different cultures.

I will compare and contrast two or more versions of the same story by different authors. I will compare and contrast two or more versions of the same story from different cultures.

CompareContrastVersionsCulture

http://www.readwritethink.org/classroom-resources/lesson-plans/comparing-fiction-nonfiction-with-889.html?tab=4GRW:

LiteratureProsePoetry

Reading Standards for Informational TextCC.RI.2.10 By the end of year, read and comprehend informational texts, including history/social studies, science, and technical texts, in the grades 2-3 text complexity band proficiently, scaffolding as needed at the high end of the range.

ComprehendInformational

text

Spelling Spelling

Long a, i

Spelling Words:(Basic) cake, mine,

plate, size, ate, grape, prize, wipe, race, line,

pile, rake(Review) gave, bike(Challenge) mistake,

while

Weekly Plan T192-193

Day 1T208 Teach the Principle/ Pretest

Day 2T226 Teach/Word Sort

Day 3T236 Segment Sounds/Build Words

Day 4T246 Connect to WritingPB: Vol. 1, p. 43

Weekly TestsT252

Spelling Assessment

Spelling patterns WJ:WTW:MM2-3: p. 47-52, 81-96

CC.L.2.2 Demonstrate command of the conventions of standard English capitalization, punctuation, and spelling when writing.CC.L.2.2e Consult reference materials, including beginning dictionaries, as needed to check and correct spellings.

Referencematerials

http://www.wordcentral.com/http://kids.yahoo.com/reference/dictionary/englishMM2-3: p. 47-52, 81-96, 112 GRW:

August 2012 Quarter 1-23

Page 24: PBworksfspsliteracy.pbworks.com/w/file/fetch/57755854/2nd Grade... · Web viewT304-T305 Long Vowels o, u, e PB: Vol. 1, p. 48 Day 3 T328-T329 Sounds for g PB: Vol. 1, p. 53 Day 4

Day 5 Speaking and Listening StandardsCC.SL.2.1 Participate in collaborative conversations with diverse partners about grade 2 topics and texts with peers and adults in small and larger groups.CC.SL.2.1a Follow agreed- upon rules for discussion (e.g., gaining the floor in respectful ways, listening to others with care, speaking one at a time about the topics and texts under discussion).

Discussions http://www.learningthroughlistening.org/SiteData/docs/evs-Language%20for%20Social%20Interaction%20Checklist/a587da1b85b8971ac6aa09573276120b/evs-Language%20for%20Social%20Interaction%20Checklist.pdfGRW:

Conversation http://www.ascd.org/publications/books/108035/chapters/Procedures-for-Classroom-Talk.aspxTDC: p. 88-89STW2: p.169-172GRW:

Conversations TDC: p. 88-89STW2: p.169-172

I will describe key ideas from a text read aloud. I will describe key ideas from information presented orally. I will describe key ideas from media.

MediaDescribe

CC.SL.2.3 Ask and answer questions about what a speaker says in order to clarify comprehension, gather additional information, or deepen understanding of a topic or issue.

Questions http://www.learningthroughlistening.org/SiteData/docs/evsActive%20Listening%20t%20chart/cda16f9462ca019ee4f2a7bc50a4f71d/evs-Active%20Listening%20t%20chart.pdfGRW:

August 2012 Quarter 1-24

Page 25: PBworksfspsliteracy.pbworks.com/w/file/fetch/57755854/2nd Grade... · Web viewT304-T305 Long Vowels o, u, e PB: Vol. 1, p. 48 Day 3 T328-T329 Sounds for g PB: Vol. 1, p. 53 Day 4

STW:RFM:

CC.SL.2.4 Tell a story or recount an experience with appropriate facts and relevant, descriptive details, speaking audibly in coherent sentences.

I will tell a story with facts and descriptive details. I will recount an experience using facts and descriptive details. I will speak in complete sentences.

FactsDescriptive

detailsRecount

http://www.readwritethink.org/classroom-resources/lesson-plans/integrating-language-arts-give-809.htmlGRW:Is That a Fact?CL:

CC.SL.2.5 Create audio recordings of stories or poems; add drawings or other visual displays to stories or recounts of experiences when appropriate to clarify ideas, thoughts, and feelings.

I will create recordings of stories or poems. I will clarify my ideas, thoughts, and feelings by adding drawings or visual displays.

RecordingsClarify

GR: p. 80-81STW2: p.127

EXAMPLESASSESSMENTS

GrammarCC.L.2.1 Demonstrate command of the conventions of standard English grammar and usage when writing and speaking.CC.L.2.1e Use adjectives and adverbs, and choose between them depending on what is to be modified.

AdjectivesAdverbs

MM2-3: p. 72-74,112 Grammar

Statements and Questions

Weekly Plan T193-T194

Day 1T208 StatementsProjectable 3.2PB: Vol. 1, p. 32

Day 2T226 QuestionsProjectable 3.6PB: Vol. 1, p. 36

Day 3T236 Statements &

QuestionsPB: Vol. 1, p. 41

Weekly TestsT257

3.16-3.18

August 2012 Quarter 1-25

Page 26: PBworksfspsliteracy.pbworks.com/w/file/fetch/57755854/2nd Grade... · Web viewT304-T305 Long Vowels o, u, e PB: Vol. 1, p. 48 Day 3 T328-T329 Sounds for g PB: Vol. 1, p. 53 Day 4

Day 4T246 Spiral Review: Kinds

of AdjectivesPB: Vol. 1, p. 44

Day 5T252-253 Review:

Statements & QuestionsConnect to Writing:

Sentence FluencyPB: Vol. 1, p. 45

AL: sentences, statement, question

CC.L.2.1 Demonstrate command of the conventions of standard English grammar and usage when writing and speaking.CC.L.2.1f Produce, expand, and rearrange complete simple and compound sentences (e.g., The boy watched the movie; The little boy watched the movie; The action movie was watched by the little boy).

I will produce complete simple and compound sentences. I will expand complete simple and compound sentences. I will rearrange complete simple and compound sentences.

ProduceExpand

CompleteSimple

Compound

Narrative Recount

Event Include Details

TransitionConclusion

ClosureTemporal words

http://www.readwritethink.org/professional-development/strategy-guides/shared-writing-30686.html?tab=2#tabsIs That a Fact?, p 187-209Small Moments Appendix A:Appendix C:GRW:CL:

Writing

Write to Narrate:Sentences That

Describe

Focus Trait: Word Choice

Weekly Plan T192-T193

Day 1T209 Introduce the Model: Description Projectable 3.3(Writing Model: Descriptive

Sentences)

Day 2T227 Focus Trait: Word

Choice (Sense Words)PB: Vol. 1, p. 37

T255

Optional Weekly Writing Prompt:Describe what fall is like where you

live.

Write three or more sentences to tell how you

August 2012 Quarter 1-26

Page 27: PBworksfspsliteracy.pbworks.com/w/file/fetch/57755854/2nd Grade... · Web viewT304-T305 Long Vowels o, u, e PB: Vol. 1, p. 48 Day 3 T328-T329 Sounds for g PB: Vol. 1, p. 53 Day 4

Day 3T237 Prewrite: Exploring a

DescriptionProjectable 3.9

Day 4T247 Draft: Putting Details

in OrderProjectable 3.11(Drafting

Descriptive Sentences)

Day 5T254-T255 Revise and

Edit: Word ChoiceProjectable 3.12 (Revising

Nadia’s Draft)

know that Henry and Mudge are good friends. (reference

Journeys writing rubric before

lesson 3 Foucs Wall)

ReviseEdit

Topic

August 2012 Quarter 1-27

Page 28: PBworksfspsliteracy.pbworks.com/w/file/fetch/57755854/2nd Grade... · Web viewT304-T305 Long Vowels o, u, e PB: Vol. 1, p. 48 Day 3 T328-T329 Sounds for g PB: Vol. 1, p. 53 Day 4

Unit 1 Lesson 4 FORT SMITH SCHOOLS – Grade 2 Curriculum: Literacy & Integrated Content WEEK 5

EXAMPLESASSESSMENTS

Segment, Substitute Phonemes

Sort Phonemes

TARGETED VOCABULARY &

STRATEGIES

STRATEGY:Context Clues

WORD CARDSCards 25-32

TARGET VOCABULARY:insects, dangerous, scare, sticky, rotten, screaming,

breeze, judge

Weekly Plan T284-T285Day 1T291

Day 2T303

Day 3T327

Day 4T337

Day 5T347

Weekly Plan T284-T285

Day 1Daily Vocabulary BoostT291Read Aloud “Bats: Beastly or

Beautiful”T292-T293 CLLG: p. 47Projectable 4.1 (Model Oral Fluency)Introduce VocabularyT294-T295

Day 2Daily Vocabulary BoostT303Develop BackgroundT306-T307“Spiders”

Weekly TestsT354

4.2-4.4CC.L.2.4 Determine or clarify the meaning of unknown and multiple-meaning words and phrases based on grade 2 reading and content, choosing flexibly form an array of strategies.CC.L.2.4a Use sentence-level context as a clue to the meaning of a word or phrase.

Context cluesPhrase

GlossariesDictionaries

I will use words and phrases learned through talking. I will use words and phrases learnedthrough reading. I will use words and phrases learnedthrough being read to. I will use words

Responding to texts

IRA2-3:

August 2012 Quarter 1-28

Page 29: PBworksfspsliteracy.pbworks.com/w/file/fetch/57755854/2nd Grade... · Web viewT304-T305 Long Vowels o, u, e PB: Vol. 1, p. 48 Day 3 T328-T329 Sounds for g PB: Vol. 1, p. 53 Day 4

Unit 1 Lesson 4 FORT SMITH SCHOOLS – Grade 2 Curriculum: Literacy & Integrated Content WEEK 5

and phrases learnedthrough responding to texts. I will use adjectives to describe. I will use adverbs to describe.

Day 3Daily Vocabulary BoostT327

Day 4Daily Vocabulary Boost T337Vocabulary StrategiesT342-T343Projectable 4.9(Context Clues)PB: Vol. 1, p. 57

Day 5Daily Vocabulary Boost T347

Long Vowels o, u, e

Sounds for g

Weekly Plan T284-T285

Day 1T296-T298Long Vowels o, u, ePB: Vol. 1, p. 46Decodable Reader“A Bed of Roses”

Day 2T304-T305Long Vowels o, u, ePB: Vol. 1, p. 48

Day 3T328-T329Sounds for gPB: Vol. 1, p. 53

Day 4T338-T339Review

Day 5T354Assessment

Weekly TestsT354

4.8-4.11CC.RF.2.3 Know and apply grade-level phonics and word analysis skills in decoding words.CC.RF.2.3a Distinguish long and short vowels when reading regularly spelled one-syllable words.

RecognizeIrregularly

Comprehension Comprehension Main Selection

August 2012 Quarter 1-29

Page 30: PBworksfspsliteracy.pbworks.com/w/file/fetch/57755854/2nd Grade... · Web viewT304-T305 Long Vowels o, u, e PB: Vol. 1, p. 48 Day 3 T328-T329 Sounds for g PB: Vol. 1, p. 53 Day 4

Skill: Cause and Effect

Strategy: Summarize

Genre: Humorous Fiction/Fable

Fluency: Intonation

Essential Question:What might cause a story character to

change?

“Diary of a Spider”Genre: Humorous Fiction T310-T322 SB: p. 90-113

CLLG: p. 46Introduce: Cause and Effect; Summarize T308-T309

Projectable 4.4PB: Vol. 1, p. 49Develop Comprehension

T312-T321Projectables 4.5a, 4.5b, 4.5c, 4.5d

(T-Map)Deepen Comprehension T332-T333Projectable 4.8 (T-Map: Identify & Infer Cause & Effect)

PB: Vol. 1, p. 54

AL: cause, effect

Connect To“A Swallow and a Spider”

Genre: Fable T340-T341; SB: p.114-117

MC: T341CLLG: p. 47

Weekly TestsT355

4.5-4.7

(Arkansas Benchmark and

Unit Test)

CC.RL.2.2 Recount stories, including fables and folktales form diverse cultures, and determine their central message, lesson or moral.

I will recount stories, including fables and folktales. I will determine the central message or moral of the story.

FableDiverseCulture

DetermineMessage

MoralFolktales

STW: p. 181-182,198CT: Lessons 16-17

CC.RL.2.3 Describe how characters in a story respond to major events and challenges.

I will describe how characters in a story respond to major events and challenges.

Major eventsChallengesCharactersRespond

GRW:STW2: p. 94-97

CC.RL.2.6 Acknowledge differences in the points of view of characters, including by speaking in a different voice for each character when reading dialogue aloud.

I will recognize the different points of view of characters. I will speak in a different voice for each character when reading dialogue aloud.

Point of viewDialogue

CharactersVoice

ActionsThoughts

Text

http://www.readwritethink.org/classroom-resources/printouts/character-30199.htmlIRA2-3: p. 121-124

I will use information gained from illustrations and words. I will demonstrate understanding of characters, setting, or plot.

IllustrationsCharacters

SettingPlot

Demonstrate

LiteratureProsePoetry

ComprehendInformational

text

Spelling Spelling Weekly Plan T284-T285 Weekly TestsT350CC.L.2.2 Demonstrate command of the conventions of I will use Spelling WJ:

August 2012 Quarter 1-30

Page 31: PBworksfspsliteracy.pbworks.com/w/file/fetch/57755854/2nd Grade... · Web viewT304-T305 Long Vowels o, u, e PB: Vol. 1, p. 48 Day 3 T328-T329 Sounds for g PB: Vol. 1, p. 53 Day 4

standard English capitalization, punctuation, and spelling when writing.CC.L.2.2d Generalize learned spelling patterns when writing words. (e.g., cage – badge; boy – boil).

generalized spelling patterns when writing words.

patterns WTW:MM2-3: p. 47-52, 81-96

Long Vowels o, u

Spelling Words:(Basic) doze, nose,

use, rose, pole, dose, cute, woke, mule, rode, role, tune

(Review) home, joke(Challenge) wrote,

ice cube

Day 1T300 Teach the Principe/Pretest

Day 2T324 Teach/Word Sort

Day 3T334 Segment Sounds/Build Words

Day 4T344 Connect to WritingPB: Vol. 1, p. 58

Day 5T350 Spelling Assessment

Spelling Assessment

Referencematerials

Discussions http://www.learningthroughlistening.org/SiteData/docs/evs-Language%20for%20Social%20Interaction%20Checklist/a587da1b85b8971ac6aa09573276120b/evs-Language%20for%20Social%20Interaction%20Checklist.pdfGRW:

CC.SL.2.2 Recount or describe key ideas or details from a text read aloud or information

I will describe key ideas from a text

MediaDescribe

Brain PopKids College

August 2012 Quarter 1-31

Page 32: PBworksfspsliteracy.pbworks.com/w/file/fetch/57755854/2nd Grade... · Web viewT304-T305 Long Vowels o, u, e PB: Vol. 1, p. 48 Day 3 T328-T329 Sounds for g PB: Vol. 1, p. 53 Day 4

presented orally or through other media. read aloud. I will describe key ideas from information presented orally. I will describe key ideas from media.

Education CityIRA2-3: p.49-52

Questions http://www.learningthroughlistening.org/SiteData/docs/evsActive%20Listening%20t%20chart/cda16f9462ca019ee4f2a7bc50a4f71d/evs-Active%20Listening%20t%20chart.pdfGRW:STW:RFM:

FactsDescriptive

detailsExperience

CC.SL.2.5 Create audio recordings of stories or poems; add drawings or other visual displays to stories or recounts of experiences when appropriate to clarify ideas, thoughts, and feelings.

I will create recordings of stories or poems.I will clarify my ideas, thoughts, and feelings by adding drawings or visual displays.

RecordingsClarify

GR: p. 80-81STW2: p.127

CC.SL.2.6 Produce complete sentences when appropriate to task and situation in order to provide requested detail or clarification.

DetailClarification

http://www.reading.org/Publish.aspx?page=bk769-intro-Resnick.pdf&mode=retrieve&D=10.1598/978087207690.intro&F=bk769-intro-Resnick.pdf&key=EA5EF8A6-7010-4AAB-89F5-3064B1B57522Appendix A:GRW:

August 2012 Quarter 1-32

Page 33: PBworksfspsliteracy.pbworks.com/w/file/fetch/57755854/2nd Grade... · Web viewT304-T305 Long Vowels o, u, e PB: Vol. 1, p. 48 Day 3 T328-T329 Sounds for g PB: Vol. 1, p. 53 Day 4

WRITING WORKSHOP: WHOLE GROUP LESSON

EXAMPLESASSESSMENTS

GrammarCC.L.1.1b Use common, proper and possessive nouns.(Language Progressive Skill)

I will use common nouns. I will use proper nouns. I will use possessive nouns.

Common Proper nounsPossessive

SYW:AIL:

Grammar

Nouns

Weekly Plan T284-T285

Day 1T300 Nouns for People &

AnimalsProjectable 4.2PB: Vol. 1, p. 47

Day 2T325 Nouns for Places &

ThingsProjectable 4.6PB: Vol. 1, p. 51

Day 3T334 Names for People,

Animals, Places & Things

PB: Vol. 1, p. 56

Day 4T344 Spiral Review:

Possessive PronounsPB: Vol. 1, p. 59

Day 5T350-T351Review: What

is a Noun?Connect to Writing: Word

ChoicePB: Vol. 1, p. 60

AL: noun

Weekly TestsT355

4.12-4.14

CC.L.2.1 Demonstrate command of the conventions of standard English grammar and usage when writing or speaking.CC.L.2.1a Use collective nouns (e.g., group).

I will use collective nouns.

Collectivenouns

http://www.readingrockets.org/article/27876/http://www.nclrc.org/essentials/grammar/grindex.htmMM2-3:

CC.L.2.1 Demonstrate command of the conventions of standard English grammar and usage when writing or speaking.CC.L.2.1b Form and use frequently occurring irregular plural nouns (e.g., feet, children, teeth, mice, fish).

I will use irregular plural nouns.

Irregular plural nouns

http://www.readingrockets.org/article/27876/http://www.nclrc.org/essentials/grammar/grindex.htmMM2-3:WTW:WJ:

ProduceExpand

CompleteSimple

Compound

Writing

August 2012 Quarter 1-33

Page 34: PBworksfspsliteracy.pbworks.com/w/file/fetch/57755854/2nd Grade... · Web viewT304-T305 Long Vowels o, u, e PB: Vol. 1, p. 48 Day 3 T328-T329 Sounds for g PB: Vol. 1, p. 53 Day 4

CC.W.2.3 Write narratives in which they recount a well-elaborated event or short sequence of events, include details to describe actions, thoughts, and feelings, use temporal words to signal event order, and provide a sense of closure.

Narrative Recount

Event Include Details

TransitionConclusion

ClosureTemporal words

Writing

Write to Narrate: True Story

Weekly Plan T284-T285

Day 1T301 Introduce the

Model: True StoryProjectable 4.3(Writing Model: True

Story)

Day 2T325 Introduce the Focus

Trait: Ideas (Main Idea)PB: Vol. 1, p. 52

Day 3T335 Prewrite: True

Story: Choosing a Topic

Day 4T345 Prewrite: True

Story: Leaving Out Unimportant Details Projectable 4.10

(Prewriting: Planning a True Story)

Day 5T352-T353 Prewrite:

True Story

T353

Optional Weekly Writing Prompt:Write sentences

about a sleep-over you have been to.

Write three or more sentences to tell how the title,

“Diary of a Spider,” helps you

understand the story. (reference Journeys writing

rubric before lesson 4 Foucs

Wall)

ReviseEdit

Topic

I will participate in shared research.

Technology http://kids.britannica.com/IW: Chapter 11

CC.W.2.8 Recall information from experiences or gather information from provided sources to answer a question.

I will participate in writing projects.

RecallExperiences

Gather

CONTENT AREA STANDARDS & LESSONSAugust 2012 Quarter 1-34

Page 35: PBworksfspsliteracy.pbworks.com/w/file/fetch/57755854/2nd Grade... · Web viewT304-T305 Long Vowels o, u, e PB: Vol. 1, p. 48 Day 3 T328-T329 Sounds for g PB: Vol. 1, p. 53 Day 4

SOCIAL STUIDESSOCIAL STUIDES STANDARDS: FOCUS MATERIALS & LINKS TO LESSONS NOTEBOOK PROMPTS

August 2012 Quarter 1-35

Page 36: PBworksfspsliteracy.pbworks.com/w/file/fetch/57755854/2nd Grade... · Web viewT304-T305 Long Vowels o, u, e PB: Vol. 1, p. 48 Day 3 T328-T329 Sounds for g PB: Vol. 1, p. 53 Day 4

Unit 1 Lesson 5 FORT SMITH SCHOOLS – Grade 2 Curriculum: Literacy & Integrated Content WEEK 6

EXAMPLESASSESSMENTS

Segment Phonemes

TARGETED VOCABULARY &

STRATEGIES

STRATEGY: Base Words and Endings –ed, -ing

WORD CARDSCards 33-40

TARGET VOCABULARY:wonderful, noises, quiet, sprinkled, share, noticed,

bursting, suddenly

Weekly Plan T382-T383 Day 1T389

Day 2T401

Day 3T425

Day 4T433

Day 5T443

Weekly Plan T382-T383

Day 1Daily Vocabulary BoostT389Read Aloud “Lester” T390-T391CLLG: p. 49Projectable 5.1 (Model Oral Fluency)Target VocabularyT392-T393

Day 2Daily Vocabulary BoostT401Develop Background T404-T405“Classroom Pets”

Day 3

Weekly TestsT450

5.2-5.4CC.L.2.4 Determine or clarify the meaning of unknown and multiple-meaning words and phrases based on grade 2 reading and content, choosing flexibly form an array of strategies.CC.L.2.4a Use sentence-level context as a clue to the meaning of a word or phrase.

Context cluesPhrase

GlossariesDictionaries

I will use words and phrases learned through talking. I will use words and phrases learnedthrough reading. I will use words and phrases learnedthrough being read to. I will use words and phrases learned

Responding to texts

IRA2-3:

August 2012 Quarter 1-36

Page 37: PBworksfspsliteracy.pbworks.com/w/file/fetch/57755854/2nd Grade... · Web viewT304-T305 Long Vowels o, u, e PB: Vol. 1, p. 48 Day 3 T328-T329 Sounds for g PB: Vol. 1, p. 53 Day 4

Unit 1 Lesson 5 FORT SMITH SCHOOLS – Grade 2 Curriculum: Literacy & Integrated Content WEEK 6

through responding to texts. I will use adjectives to describe. I will use adverbs to describe.

Daily Vocabulary BoostT425

Day 4Daily Vocabulary Boost T433Vocabulary StrategiesT438-T439Projectable 5.9(Word Endings –ed, -ing)PB: Vol. 1, p. 72

Day 5Daily Vocabulary BoostT443

Word Work/PhonicsPhonics

Consonant Blends withr, l, s

Weekly Plan T382-T383

Day 1T394-T397Consonant Blends r, l, sPB: Vol. 1, p. 61Decodable Reader“Flint Cove Clambake”

Day 2T402-T403Consonant Blends r, l, sPB: Vol. 1, p. 63

Day 3T426Cumulative ReviewPB: Vol. 1, p. 68

Day 4T434-T435Review

Day 5T450Assessment

Weekly Tests T450

5.8-5.9

CC.RF.2.3 Know and apply grade-level phonics and word analysis skills in decoding words.CC.RF.2.3a Distinguish long and short vowels when reading regularly spelled one-syllable words.

RecognizeIrregularly

Comprehension Comprehension Main Selection“Teacher’s Pets”

Weekly TestsT451CC.RL.2.1 Ask and answer such questions as I will ask who, Demonstrate STW: p. 17-18, 110-122, 177

August 2012 Quarter 1-37

Page 38: PBworksfspsliteracy.pbworks.com/w/file/fetch/57755854/2nd Grade... · Web viewT304-T305 Long Vowels o, u, e PB: Vol. 1, p. 48 Day 3 T328-T329 Sounds for g PB: Vol. 1, p. 53 Day 4

who, what, where, when, why, and how to demonstrate understanding of key details in a text.

what, where, when, why and how questions. I will answer who, what, where, when, why and how.

Key details IRA2-3: p. 5CT: Lessons 8-11RP:

Skill: Story Structure

Strategy: Visualize

Text

FluencyPhrasing: Punctuation

Essential Question:What clues tell you where and when a story takes place?

Genre: Realistic FictionT408-T420; SB: p.126-148

CLLG: p. 48Introduce: Story Structure; Visualize T406-T407

Projectable 5.4PB: Vol. 1, p. 64Develop Comprehension T410-T419

Projectables 5.5a, 5.5b, 5.5c, 5.5d

(Story Map)Deepen Comprehension T428-T429

Projectable 5.8(Story Map: Story Structure)

PB: Vol. 1, p. 69

AL: characters, setting, plot, retell

Connect To“See Westburg by Bus”

Genre: Informational Text

T436-T437; SB: p.150-153MC: T437CLLG: p.49

5.5-5.7

CC.RL.2.2 Recount stories, including fables and folktales form diverse cultures, and determine their central message, lesson or moral.

I will recount stories, including fables and folktales. I will determine the central message or moral of the story.

FableDiverseCulture

DetermineMessage

MoralFolktales

STW: p. 181-182,198CT: Lessons 16-17

CC.RL.2.3 Describe how characters in a story respond to major events and challenges.

I will describe how characters in a story respond to major events and challenges.

PoemsSongs

CC.RL.2.5 Describe the overall structure of a story, including describing how the beginning introduces the story and the ending concludes the action.

I will describe how the beginning introduces the story. I will describe how the ending concludes the action. I will describe the beginning, middle, and end of the story.

DescribeAction

Concludes

http://www.busyteacherscafe.com/worksheets/reading/Parts%20of%20a%20Story.pdfIRA2-3: p. 95-100

IllustrationsCharacters

SettingPlot

Demonstrate

LiteratureProsePoetry

August 2012 Quarter 1-38

Page 39: PBworksfspsliteracy.pbworks.com/w/file/fetch/57755854/2nd Grade... · Web viewT304-T305 Long Vowels o, u, e PB: Vol. 1, p. 48 Day 3 T328-T329 Sounds for g PB: Vol. 1, p. 53 Day 4

ComprehendInformational

text

Spelling Spelling

Consonant Blends with r, l, s

Spelling Words:(Basic) spin, clap, grade, swim, place, last, test, skin, drag,

glide, just, stage(Review) slip, drive(Challenge) climb,

price

Weekly Plan T382-T383

Day 1T398 Teach the Principle/Pretest

Day 2T422 Teach/Word Sort

Day 3T430 Segment Sounds/Build Words

Day 4T440 Connect to WritingPB: Vol. 1, p. 73

Day 5T446 Spelling Assessment

Weekly TestsT446

Spelling Assessment

Spelling patterns

Referencematerials

CC.SL.2.1 Participate in collaborative conversations with diverse partners about grade 2 topics and texts

I will build on others’ talk in

Conversation http://www.ascd.org/publications/books/108035/

August 2012 Quarter 1-39

Page 40: PBworksfspsliteracy.pbworks.com/w/file/fetch/57755854/2nd Grade... · Web viewT304-T305 Long Vowels o, u, e PB: Vol. 1, p. 48 Day 3 T328-T329 Sounds for g PB: Vol. 1, p. 53 Day 4

with peers and adults in small and larger groups.CC. SL.2.1b Build on others’ talk in conversations by linking their comments to the remarks of others.

conversation. chapters/Procedures-for-Classroom-Talk.aspxTDC: p. 88-89STW2: p.169-172GRW:

MediaDescribe

FactsDescriptive

detailsExperience

CC.SL.2.6 Produce complete sentences when appropriate to task and situation in order to provide requested detail or clarification. (See grade 2 Language standards 1 and 3)

DetailClarification

http://www.reading.org/Publish.aspx?page=bk769-intro-Resnick.pdf&mode=retrieve&D=10.1598/978087207690.intro&

August 2012 Quarter 1-40

Page 41: PBworksfspsliteracy.pbworks.com/w/file/fetch/57755854/2nd Grade... · Web viewT304-T305 Long Vowels o, u, e PB: Vol. 1, p. 48 Day 3 T328-T329 Sounds for g PB: Vol. 1, p. 53 Day 4

F=bk769-intro-Resnick.pdf&key=EA5EF8A6-7010-4AAB-89F5-3064B1B57522Appendix A:GRW:

EXAMPLESASSESSMENTS

GrammarCC.L.2.1 Demonstrate command of the conventions of standard English grammar and usage when writing or speaking.CC.L.2.1a Use collective nouns. (e.g., group)

I will use collective nouns.

Collectivenouns

http://www.readingrockets.org/article/27876/http://www.nclrc.org/essentials/grammar/grindex.htmMM2-3:WJ:

Grammar

Singular and Plural Nouns

Weekly Plan T382-T383

Day 1T398 One and More Than

OneProjectable 5.2PB: Vol. 1, p. 62

Day 2T422 Making Nouns

PluralProjectable 5.6PB: Vol. 1, p. 66

Day 3T430 Making Nouns

Plural

Day 4T440 Spiral Review:

Adjectives That Compare

PB: Vol. 1, p. 74

Day 5T446-T447 Review:

Singular & Plural NounsConnect to Writing:

ConventionsPB: Vol. 1, p. 75

AL: singular noun, plural noun

Weekly TestsT451

5.10-5.12

CC.L.2.1 Demonstrate command of the conventions of standard English grammar and usage when writing or speaking.CC.L.2.1b Form and use frequently occurring irregular plural nouns (e.g., feet, children, teeth, mice, fish).

Irregular plural nouns

http://www.readingrockets.org/article/27876/http://www.nclrc.org/essentials/grammar/grindex.htmMM2-3:WTW:WJ:

CC.L.2.1 Demonstrate command of the conventions of standard English grammar and usage when writing or speaking.CC.L.2.1e Use adjectives and adverbs and choose between them depending on what is to be modified.

AdjectivesAdverbs

MM2-3: p. 72-74,112

ProduceExpand

CompleteSimple

Compound

August 2012 Quarter 1-41

Page 42: PBworksfspsliteracy.pbworks.com/w/file/fetch/57755854/2nd Grade... · Web viewT304-T305 Long Vowels o, u, e PB: Vol. 1, p. 48 Day 3 T328-T329 Sounds for g PB: Vol. 1, p. 53 Day 4

Narrative Recount

Event Include Details

TransitionConclusion

ClosureTemporal words

http://www.readwritethink.org/professional-development/strategy-guides/shared-writing-30686.html?tab=2#tabsIs That a Fact?, p 187-209Small MomentsAppendix A:Appendix C:GRW:CL:

Writing

Write to Narrate: True Story

Focus Trait: Sentence Fluency

Weekly Plan T382-383

Day 1T399 Draft: True StoryProjectable 5.3(Drafting a True Story)

Day 2T423 Focus Trait:

Sentence Fluency(Time-Order Words) PB: Vol. 1, p. 67

Day 3T431 Draft True Story: Beginning &

Endings

Day 4T441 Draft and Revise True Story: Exact Words

Day 5T448-T449 Revise, Edit,

Publish: True StoryProjectable 5.10(Revising Raj’s Draft)

T449

List as many animal noises as

you can.

Write three or more sentences to

tell, in your own words, what Miss Fry means when she says, “How

lucky for us.” (reference

Journeys writing rubric before

lesson 5 Foucs Wall)

ReviseEdit

Topic

CC.W.2.8 Recall information from experiences or gather information from provided sources to answer a question.

RecallExperiences

Gather

SMALL GROUP STANDARDS

August 2012 Quarter 1-42

Page 43: PBworksfspsliteracy.pbworks.com/w/file/fetch/57755854/2nd Grade... · Web viewT304-T305 Long Vowels o, u, e PB: Vol. 1, p. 48 Day 3 T328-T329 Sounds for g PB: Vol. 1, p. 53 Day 4

Reading Standards: Foundational SkillsCC.RF.2.4 Read with sufficient accuracy and fluency to support comprehension.CC.RF.2.4a Read on-level text with purpose and understanding.CC.RF.2.4b Read on-level text orally with accuracy, appropriate rate, and expression on successive readings.CC.RF.2.4c Use context to confirm or self-correct word recognition and understanding, rereading as necessary.

August 2012 Quarter 1-43

Page 44: PBworksfspsliteracy.pbworks.com/w/file/fetch/57755854/2nd Grade... · Web viewT304-T305 Long Vowels o, u, e PB: Vol. 1, p. 48 Day 3 T328-T329 Sounds for g PB: Vol. 1, p. 53 Day 4

Unit 1 Lesson 6 FORT SMITH SCHOOLS – Grade 2 Curriculum: Literacy & Integrated Content WEEK 7

Lesson 6

EXAMPLESASSESSMENTS

Identify Phoneme’s

TARGETED VOCABULARY &

STRATEGIES

STRATEGY:Base Words & Prefixes

un-, re-

WORD CARDSCards 41-48

TARGET VOCABULARY:shaped, branches, pond, beaks, deepest, break,

hang, winding

Weekly Plan T6-T7

Day 1T13

Day 2T25

Day 3T45

Day 4T53

Day 5T63

Weekly Plan T6-T7

Day 1Daily Vocabulary BoostT13Read Aloud“City Life Is forthe Birds”T14 -T15CLLG: p. 51Projectable 6.1(Model Oral Fluency)Introduce Vocabulary T16-T17

Day 2Daily Vocabulary Boost

T25Develop Background

Weekly TestsT70

6.2-6.3CC.L.2.4 Determine or clarify the meaning of unknown and multiple-meaning words and phrases based on grade 2 reading and content, choosing flexibly form an array of strategies.CC.L.2.4a Use sentence-level context as a clue to the meaning of a word or phrase.

Context clues Phrases

CC.L.2.4 Determine or clarify the meaning of unknown and multiple-meaning words and phrases based on grade 2 reading and content, choosing flexibly form an array of strategies.CC.L.2.4b Determine the meaning of the new word formed when a known prefix is added to a known word (e.g., happy/unhappy, tell/retell).

I will determine the meaning of the new word formed when a prefix is added.

PrefixDetermine

TRS: p. 491-493

CC.L.2.4 Determine or clarify the meaning of unknown and multiple-meaning words and phrases based on grade 2 reading and content, choosing flexibly form an array of strategies.CC.L.2.4e Use glossaries and dictionaries, both print and digital, to determine or clarify the meaning of words and phrases.

GlossariesDictionaries

CC.L.2.5 Demonstrate understanding of word relationships and nuances in word meanings.CC.L.2.5a Identify real-life connections between words and their use (e.g., describe foods that are spicy or juicy).

I will distinguish the meaning of closely related verbs.

DistinguishVerbs

https://www.teachingchannel.org/videos/improving-student-vocabularyhttp://www.readingrockets.org/strategies/semantic_gradients/BWL:WJ:WTW:

August 2012 Quarter 1-44

Page 45: PBworksfspsliteracy.pbworks.com/w/file/fetch/57755854/2nd Grade... · Web viewT304-T305 Long Vowels o, u, e PB: Vol. 1, p. 48 Day 3 T328-T329 Sounds for g PB: Vol. 1, p. 53 Day 4

Unit 1 Lesson 6 FORT SMITH SCHOOLS – Grade 2 Curriculum: Literacy & Integrated Content WEEK 7

T28-T29

Day 3Daily Vocabulary Boost

T45

Day 4Daily Vocabulary Boost

T53Vocabulary Strategies

T58-T59Projectable 6.10

(Prefixes un- & re-)PB: Vol. 1, p. 87

Day 5Daily Vocabulary Boost

T63

I will use words and phrases learned through talking. I will use words and phrases learned through reading. I will use words and phrases learned through being read to. I will use words and phrases learned through responding to texts. I will use adjectives to describe. I will use adverbs to describe.

PhrasesAdjectivesAdverbs

Responding to texts

IRA2-3:

Common Final Blends

nd, ng, nk, nt, ft, xt, mp

Weekly Plan T6-T7

Day 1T18-T21Common Final Blendsnd, ng, nk, nt, ft, xt, mpPB: Vol. 1, p. 76Decodable Reader“A Job for Bob”

Day 2TT26-T27Common Final Blendsnd, ng, nk, nt, ft, xt, mpPB: Vol. 1, p. 78

Day 3T46Cumulative Review

Day 4T54-T55Review

Weekly Tests T70

6.6-6.7

RecognizeIrregularly

August 2012 Quarter 1-45

Page 46: PBworksfspsliteracy.pbworks.com/w/file/fetch/57755854/2nd Grade... · Web viewT304-T305 Long Vowels o, u, e PB: Vol. 1, p. 48 Day 3 T328-T329 Sounds for g PB: Vol. 1, p. 53 Day 4

Day 5T70Assessment

Skill: Text and Graphic Features

Strategy: Question

Genre: Informational Text/Play

Fluency:Expression

Essential Question:How can chapter

headings help you?

Main Selection“Animals Building Homes”Genre: Informational TextT32-T41; SB: p. 166-181CLLG: p. 50Introduce: Text and Graphic Features; QuestionT30-T31Projectable 6.4 PB: Vol. 1, p. 79Develop Comprehension T34-T39Projectables 6.5a, 6.5b(Column Chart)Deepen Comprehension T48-T49Projectable 6.8 (T-Map: Use Text & Graphic Features)PB: Vol. 1, p. 84

AL: graphic features, text features, boldface print

Connect To“Hiding at the Pond”Genre: PlayT56-T57; SB: p.182-185MC: T57CLLG: p. 51

Weekly TestsT71

6.4-6.5

Benchmark and Unit Test Unit 2

(Arkansas Benchmark and

Unit Test)

CC.RL.2.6 Acknowledge differences in the points of view of characters, including by speaking in a different voice for each character when reading dialogue aloud.

I will recognize the different points of view of characters. I will speak in a different voice for each character when reading dialogue aloud.

Point of viewDialogue

CharactersVoice

ActionsThoughts

Text

http://www.readwritethink.org/classroom-resources/printouts/character-30199.htmlIRA2-3: p. 121-124

LiteratureProsePoetry

Reading Standards for Informational TextCC.RI.2.1 Ask and answer such questions who, what, where, when, why, and how to demonstrate understanding of key details in a text.

I will ask who, what, where, when, why and how questions. I will answer who, what, where, when, why, and how questions.

DemonstrateKey details

http://www.readwritethink.org/classroom-resources/lesson-plans/reading-informational-texts-using-951.htmlSTW2: p. 171-177

CC.RI.2.2 Identify the main topic of a multi-paragraph text as well as the focus of specific paragraphs within the text.

I will identify the main topic of a multi-paragraph text. I will identify the focus of specific paragraphs within the text.

Multi-paragraphIdentifyTopic

Specific

http://www.learningbridges.com/NewsletterArticle.aspx?ArticleID=96NRP: Chapter 5

CC.RI.2.4 Determine the meaning of words and phrases in a text relevant to a grade 2 topic or subject area.

I will determine the meaning of words and phrases in a text or topic.

TextTopic

GR: p. 163-166 WJ:BWL:

CC.RI.2.5 Know and use various text features (e.g., captions, bold print, subheadings, glossaries, indexes, electronic menus, icons) to locate key facts or information in a text efficiently.

I will know and use text features to locate key fcts or information in a text.

Subheading

http://www.hollyridge2.com/2011/04/nonfiction-text-features-jeopordy.htmlCT: Lessons 2 and 3 Weekly Reader

August 2012 Quarter 1-46

Page 47: PBworksfspsliteracy.pbworks.com/w/file/fetch/57755854/2nd Grade... · Web viewT304-T305 Long Vowels o, u, e PB: Vol. 1, p. 48 Day 3 T328-T329 Sounds for g PB: Vol. 1, p. 53 Day 4

GlossariesIndexes

ElectronicMenusIcons

Time For KidsSpigot.com

CC.RI.2.6 Identify the main purpose of a text, including what the author wants to answer, explain, or describe.

I will identify the main purpose of a text. I will identify what the author wants to answer, explain, or describe.

IdentifyMain purpose

Text

NRP: Chapter 5STW2:

CC.RI.2.9 Compare and contrast the most important points presented by two texts on the same topic.

I will compare the most important points between two texts on the same topic. I will contrast the most important points between two texts on the same topic.

Compare ContrastPoints Text

http://21centurylibrarian.ning.com/group/llc5790childrenslit/forum/topics/compare-and-contrast-of?xg_source=activity

ComprehendInformational

text

Spelling Spelling Weekly Tests

August 2012 Quarter 1-47

Page 48: PBworksfspsliteracy.pbworks.com/w/file/fetch/57755854/2nd Grade... · Web viewT304-T305 Long Vowels o, u, e PB: Vol. 1, p. 48 Day 3 T328-T329 Sounds for g PB: Vol. 1, p. 53 Day 4

Common Final Blends nd, ng, nk, nt,

ft, xt, mp

Spelling Words:(Basic) next, end, camp, sank, sing, drink, hunt, stand, long, stamp, pond,

bring(Review) jump, left(Challenge) young,

friend

Weekly Plan T6-T7

Day 1T22 Teach the

Principle/Pretest

Day 2T42 Teach/Word Sort

Day 3T50 Segment

Sounds/Build Words

Day 4T60 Connect to WritingPB: Vol. 1, p. 88

Day 5T66 Spelling Assessment

T66

Spelling Assessment

Spelling patterns

Referencematerials

Speaking and Listening Standards

CC.SL.2.1 Participate in collaborative conversations with diverse partners about grade 2 topics and texts with peers and adults in small and larger groups.CC.SL.2.1a Follow agreed- upon rules for discussion (e.g., gaining the floor in respectful ways, listening to others with care, speaking one at a time about the topics and texts under discussion).

August 2012 Quarter 1-48

Page 49: PBworksfspsliteracy.pbworks.com/w/file/fetch/57755854/2nd Grade... · Web viewT304-T305 Long Vowels o, u, e PB: Vol. 1, p. 48 Day 3 T328-T329 Sounds for g PB: Vol. 1, p. 53 Day 4

Conversations TDC: p. 88-89STW2: p.169-172

MediaDescribe

FactsDescriptive

detailsExperience

WRITING WORKSHOP: WHOLE GROUP LESSONSCOMMON CORE STATE STANDARDS 0BJECTIVE ESSENTIAL RESOURCES LESSON FOCUS MATERIALS, ASSESSMENTS

August 2012 Quarter 1-49

Page 50: PBworksfspsliteracy.pbworks.com/w/file/fetch/57755854/2nd Grade... · Web viewT304-T305 Long Vowels o, u, e PB: Vol. 1, p. 48 Day 3 T328-T329 Sounds for g PB: Vol. 1, p. 53 Day 4

VOCABULARY EXPLANATIONS & EXAMPLES

GrammarCC.L.K.1cForm regular plural nouns orally by adding /s/, or /es/ (dog, dogs, wish, wishes)(Language Progressive Skill)

I will add /s/ or /es/ to form a plural noun.

Plural http://www.state.nj.us/education/frameworks/lal/

chapt5s.pdf

Grammar

More Plural Nouns

Weekly Plan T6-T7

Day 1T22 Adding –es to NounsProjectable 6.2PB: Vol. 1, p. 77

Day 2T42 Nouns That Change

SpellingProjectable 6.6PB: Vol. 1, p. 82

Day 3T50 More Nouns That

Change Spelling

Day 4T60 Spiral Review: Parts of

a SentencePB: Vol. 1, p. 89Day 5T66-T67 Review: More

Plural NounsConnect to Writing:

Sentence FluencyPB: Vol. 1, p. 90

AL: plural nouns

Weekly TestsT71

6.8-6.10

Irregular-plural nouns

CC.L.2.1 Demonstrate command of the conventions of standard English grammar and usage when writing or speaking.CC.L.2.1f Produce, expand, and rearrange complete simple and compound sentences (e.g., The boy watched the movie; The little boy watched the movie; The action movie was watched by the little boy.)

ProduceExpand

CompleteSimple

Compound

WritingCC.W.2.2 Write informative/explanatory texts in which they introduce a topic, use facts and definitions to develop points, and provide a concluding statement or section.

I will write to inform/explain by introducing a topic. I will write to inform/explain by using facts and definitions to develop points. I will write to inform/explain by providing a

Explanatorytext

ConcludingStatement

Topic

Is That a Fact?NW: PRNCL:SYW:GRW:Appendix A:Appendix C:

Writing

Write to Inform:Informational

Paragraph

Weekly Plan T6-T7

Day 1T23 Introduce the Model:

Informational Paragraph Projectable 6.3

(Writing Model: Informational Paragraph)

Day 2

T69

Optional Weekly Writing Prompt:Tell how nature

lets you know that winter is coming.

August 2012 Quarter 1-50

Page 51: PBworksfspsliteracy.pbworks.com/w/file/fetch/57755854/2nd Grade... · Web viewT304-T305 Long Vowels o, u, e PB: Vol. 1, p. 48 Day 3 T328-T329 Sounds for g PB: Vol. 1, p. 53 Day 4

concluding statement.

T43 Focus Trait: Ideas (Main Idea & Supporting

Details)PB: Vol. 1, p. 82

Day 3T51Using Facts as

Supporting DetailsProjectable 6.9

Day 4T61 Topic SentencesProjectable 6.11(Drafting an Informational

Paragraph)

Day 5T68-T69 Revise & Edit(Ideas)Projectable 6.12(Revising Sean’s Draft)

Write three or more sentences to

tell whether you think the author of “Animals Building Homes” helped

you better understand how

animals build homes.

rubric before lesson 6 Foucs

Wall)

ReviseEdit

Topic

http://www.readingrecovery.org/pdf/conferences/nc10/handouts/lutz.pdfAL: p. 69-71PPW: p 130-136CR:SYW: p. 62-65Launching the WW: p.109-114WR: TSS: p. 79-103SLM:GRW:

RecallExperiences

Gather

August 2012 Quarter 1-51

Page 52: PBworksfspsliteracy.pbworks.com/w/file/fetch/57755854/2nd Grade... · Web viewT304-T305 Long Vowels o, u, e PB: Vol. 1, p. 48 Day 3 T328-T329 Sounds for g PB: Vol. 1, p. 53 Day 4

Unit 1 Lesson 7 FORT SMITH SCHOOLS – Grade 2 Curriculum: Literacy & Integrated Content WEEK 8

EXAMPLESASSESSMENTS

Sort PhonemesIdentify Medial

Phonemes

TARGETED VOCABULARY &

STRATEGIES

STRATEGY:Homophones

WORD CARDSCards 49-56

TARGET VOCABULARY:blooming, shovels, scent,

tough, wrinkled, plain, muscles, nodded

Weekly Plan T98-T99Day 1T105

Day 2T117

Day 3T141

Day 4T151

Day 5T161

Weekly Plan T98-T99

Day 1Daily Vocabulary BoostT105 Read Aloud“Trouble in the Lily Garden”T106-T107CLLG: p. 53Projectable 7.1(Model Oral Fluency)Introduce VocabularyT108-T109

Day 2Daily Vocabulary BoostT117Develop BackgroundT120-T121“Growing a Garden”

Weekly TestsT168

7.2-7.4CC.L.2.4 Determine or clarify the meaning of unknown and multiple-meaning words and phrases based on grade 2 reading and content, choosing flexibly from an array of strategies.CC.L.2.4a Use sentence-level context as a clue to the meaning of a word or phrase.

Context clues Phrases

CC.L.2.4 Determine or clarify the meaning of unknown and multiple-meaning words and phrases based on grade 2 reading and content, choosing flexibly from an array of strategies.CC.L.2.4e Use glossaries and dictionaries, both print and digital, to determine or clarify the meaning of words and phrases.

GlossariesDictionaries

CC.L.2.5 Demonstrate understanding of word relationships and nuances in word meanings.CC.L.2.5a Identify real-life connections between words and their use (e.g., describe foods that are spicy or juicy).

I will distinguish the meaning of closely related verbs.

DistinguishVerbs

https://www.teachingchannel.org/videos/improving-student-vocabularyhttp://www.readingrockets.org/strategies/semantic_gradients/BWL:WJ:WTW:

I will use words and phrases learned through talking. I will use words and phrases learned through reading. I will use words and phrases learned through being read to. I will use words

PhrasesAdjectivesAdverbs

Responding to texts

IRA2-3:

August 2012 Quarter 1-52

Page 53: PBworksfspsliteracy.pbworks.com/w/file/fetch/57755854/2nd Grade... · Web viewT304-T305 Long Vowels o, u, e PB: Vol. 1, p. 48 Day 3 T328-T329 Sounds for g PB: Vol. 1, p. 53 Day 4

Unit 1 Lesson 7 FORT SMITH SCHOOLS – Grade 2 Curriculum: Literacy & Integrated Content WEEK 8

and phrases learned through responding to texts. I will use adjectives to describe. I will use adverbs to describe.

Day 3Daily Vocabulary BoostT141

Day 4Daily Vocabulary BoostT151Vocabulary StrategiesT156-T157Projectable 7.10(Homophones)PB: Vol. 1, p. 102

Day 5Daily Vocabulary BoostT161

Double Consonants and ck

Double Consonants (CVC)

Weekly Plan T98-T99Day 1T110-T112Double Consonants & ckPB: Vol. 1, p. 91Decodable Reader“Jill & Mack”

Day 2T118-T119Double Consonants & ckPB: Vol. 1, p. 93

Day 3T142-T143Words with Double

Consonants (CVC)PB: Vol. 1, p. 98

Day 4T152-T153Review

Day 5T168Assessment

Weekly Tests T168

7.8-7.11

CC.RF.2.3 Know and apply grade-level phonics and word analysis skills in decoding words.CC.RF.2.3f Recognize and read grade-appropriate irregularly spelled words.

RecognizeIrregularly

August 2012 Quarter 1-53

Page 54: PBworksfspsliteracy.pbworks.com/w/file/fetch/57755854/2nd Grade... · Web viewT304-T305 Long Vowels o, u, e PB: Vol. 1, p. 48 Day 3 T328-T329 Sounds for g PB: Vol. 1, p. 53 Day 4

Skill: Conclusions

Strategy: Analyze/Evaluate

Text

Fluency:Accuracy: Connected

Text

Essential Question:What helps you make decisions

about a character?

Main Selection“The Ugly Vegetable”Genre: Realistic FictionT124-T136; SB: pp. 194-216 CLLG: p. 52Introduce: Conclusions; Analyze/Evaluate T122-T123Projectable 7.4PB: Vol. 1, p. 94Develop Comprehension T126-T135Projectables 7.5a, 7.5b, 7.5c(Inference Map)Deepen Comprehension T146-T147Projectable 7.8(Inference Map: Draw Conclusions)PB: Vol. 1, p. 99

AL: conclusion, analyze

Connect To“They Really Are Giant”Genre: Informational Text T154-T155; SB: p. 218-221MC: T155CLLG: p. 53

Weekly TestsT169

7.5-7.7

Benchmark and Unit Test Unit 2

(Arkansas Benchmark and

Unit Test)

CC.RL.2.1 Ask and answer such questions as who, what, where, when, why, and how to demonstrate understanding of key details in a text.

I will ask who, what, where, when, why, and how questions.

I will answer who, what, where, when, why, and how questions.

DemonstrateKey details

CC.RL.2.3 Describe how characters in a story respond to major events and challenges

CC.RL.2.5 Describe the overall structure of a story, including describing how the beginning introduces the story and the ending concludes the action.

I will describe how the beginning introduces the story. I will describe how the ending concludes the action. I will describe the beginning, middle, and end of the story.

DescribeAction

Concludes

http://www.busyteacherscafe.com/worksheets/reading/Parts%20of%20a%20Story.pdfIRA2-3: p. 95-100

IllustrationsCharacters

Setting Plot

Demonstrate

LiteratureProsePoetry

Reading Standards for Informational Text

August 2012 Quarter 1-54

Page 55: PBworksfspsliteracy.pbworks.com/w/file/fetch/57755854/2nd Grade... · Web viewT304-T305 Long Vowels o, u, e PB: Vol. 1, p. 48 Day 3 T328-T329 Sounds for g PB: Vol. 1, p. 53 Day 4

CC.RI.2.2 Identify the main topic of a multi-paragraph text as well as the focus of specific paragraphs within the text.

I will identify the main topic of a multi-paragraph text. I will identify the focus of specific paragraphs within the text.

Multi-paragraphIdentifyTopic

Specific

http://www.learningbridges.com/NewsletterArticle.aspx?ArticleID=96NRP: Chapter 5

CC.RI.2.7 Explain how specific images (e.g., a diagram showing a how a machine works) contribute to and clarify a text.

I will explain how an image helps me understand the text.

ExplainImageText

NRP: p. 78

ComprehendInformational

text

Spelling Spelling

Double Consonants and ck

Spelling Words:(Basic) dress, spell, class, full, add, neck,

stuck, kick, rock, black, trick, doll

(Review) will, off(Challenge) across,

pocket

Weekly Plan T98-T99

Day 1T114 Teach the

Principle/Pretest

Day 2T138 Teach/Word Sort

Day 3T148 Segment Sounds/

Build words

Day 4T158 Connect to WritingPB: Vol. 1, p. 103

Day 5T164 Spelling Assessment

Weekly TestsT164

Spelling Assessment

Spelling patterns

Referencematerials

Speaking and ListeningCC.SL.2.1 Participate in collaborative conversations with diverse partners about grade 2 topics and texts with peers and adults in small and larger groups.CC.SL.2.1a Follow agreed- upon rules for discussion (e.g., gaining the floor in respectful ways, listening to others with care, speaking

Discussions http://www.learningthroughlistening.org/SiteData/docs/evs-Language%20for%20Social%20Interaction%20Checklist/

August 2012 Quarter 1-55

Page 56: PBworksfspsliteracy.pbworks.com/w/file/fetch/57755854/2nd Grade... · Web viewT304-T305 Long Vowels o, u, e PB: Vol. 1, p. 48 Day 3 T328-T329 Sounds for g PB: Vol. 1, p. 53 Day 4

one at a time about the topics and texts under discussion).

a587da1b85b8971ac6aa09573276120b/evs-Language%20for%20Social%20Interaction%20Checklist.pdfGRW:

MediaDescribe

I will ask and answer questions form understanding.

I will tell a story with facts and descriptive details. I will recount an experience using facts and descriptive

FactsDescriptive

detailsExperience

http://www.readwritethink.org/classroom-resources/lesson-plans/integrating-language-arts-give-809.htmlGRW:

August 2012 Quarter 1-56

Page 57: PBworksfspsliteracy.pbworks.com/w/file/fetch/57755854/2nd Grade... · Web viewT304-T305 Long Vowels o, u, e PB: Vol. 1, p. 48 Day 3 T328-T329 Sounds for g PB: Vol. 1, p. 53 Day 4

details. I will speak in complete sentences.

Is That a Fact?CL:

MATERIALS, MATERIALS,

EXPLANATIONS & EXAMPLES

ASSESSMENTS

GrammarCC.L.1.1b Use common, proper, and possessive nouns.(Language Progressive Skill)

I will use common nouns. I will use proper nouns. I will use possessive nouns.

CommonProper

Possessive

http://firstgradefanatics.blogspot.come/2012/01/adjectives-verbs-and-nouns-oh-my.htmlSYW:AL:

Grammar

Proper Nouns

Weekly Plan T98-T99

Day 1T114 Names for People &

AnimalsProjectable 7.2PB: Vol. 1, p. 92

Day 2T138 Names for PlacesProjectable 7.6PB: Vol. 1, p. 97

Day 3T148 Writing Proper NounsPB: Vol. 1, p. 101

Day 4T158 Spiral Review:

Complete SentencesPB: Vol. 1, p. 104

Day 5T164-T165 Review:Proper NounsConnect to Writing: Word

ChoicePB: Vol. 1, p. 105

AL: proper nouns

Weekly TestsT169

7.12-7.14

Irregular-plural nouns

CC.L.2.1 Demonstrate command of the conventions of standard English grammar and usage when writing or speaking.CC.L.2.1f Produce, expand, and rearrange complete simple and compound sentences (e.g., The boy watched the move; The action movie was watched by the little boy.)

ProduceExpand

CompleteSimple

Compound

CC.L.2.2 Demonstrate command of the conventions of standard English capitalization, punctuation, and spelling when writing. CC.L.2.2a Capitalize holidays, product names, and geographic names.

I will capitalize holidays. I will capitalize product names. I will capitalize geographic names.

CapitalizeHolidays

Product namesGeographic

names

MM2-3: p. 50-52

Writing

August 2012 Quarter 1-57

Page 58: PBworksfspsliteracy.pbworks.com/w/file/fetch/57755854/2nd Grade... · Web viewT304-T305 Long Vowels o, u, e PB: Vol. 1, p. 48 Day 3 T328-T329 Sounds for g PB: Vol. 1, p. 53 Day 4

Narrative Recount

Event Include Details

TransitionConclusion

ClosureTemporal words

Writing

Write to Inform:Summary Paragraph

Focus Trait: Organization

Weekly Plan T98-T99

Day 1T115 Introduce the Model:

Summary Paragraph Projectable 7.3(Writing Model: Summary

Paragraph)PB: Vol. 1, p. 92

Day 2T139 Focus Trait:

Organization PB: Vol. 1, p. 97

Day 3T149 Prewrite: Main IdeasProjectable 7.9

Day 4T159 Draft: Sentence

FluencyProjectable 7.11(Drafting a Summary

Paragraph)

Day 5T166-T167 Revise & Edit:OrganizationProjectable 7.12(Revising Kayla’s Draft)

T167

Optional Weekly Writing Prompt:Write about the

sounds you might hear on a walk through a big

garden.

Write three or more sentences to tell what Mommy means when she says, “These are

better than flowers.”

rubric before lesson 7 Foucs

Wall)

ReviseEdit

Topic

http://www.readingrecovery.org/pdf/conferences/nc10/handouts/lutz.pdfAL: p. 69-71PPW: p 130-136CR:SYW: p. 62-65Launching the WW: p.109-114WR: TSS: p. 79-103SLM:GRW:

RecallExperiences

Gather

SMALL GROUP STANDARDS

August 2012 Quarter 1-58

Page 59: PBworksfspsliteracy.pbworks.com/w/file/fetch/57755854/2nd Grade... · Web viewT304-T305 Long Vowels o, u, e PB: Vol. 1, p. 48 Day 3 T328-T329 Sounds for g PB: Vol. 1, p. 53 Day 4

Reading Standards: Foundational SkillsCC.RF.2.4 Read with sufficient accuracy and fluency to support comprehension.CC.RF.2.4a Read on-level text with purpose and understanding.CC.RF.2.4b Read on-level text orally with accuracy, appropriate rate, and expression.CC.RF.2.4c Use context to confirm or self-correct word recognition and understanding, rereading as necessary.

August 2012 Quarter 1-59