Embed Size (px)
A very brief Power point presentation on THE FRENCH REVOLUTION.
Transcript of French Revolution
- THE FRENCH REVOLUTION
- The Old Regime
- Clergy Enjoyed enormous wealth and privileges. Provided social services and paid no taxes. Owned about 10% of the land.
- Nobility Owned land but had little income. They feared the losing traditional privileges. Even they didnt pay the TAX.
- BOURGEOISIE Made 90% of the French population. Resented against the first and second estates. Burdened by TAXES. Earned miserable wages. Faced hunger and even starvation.
- THE KING The king could not manage his kingdom systematically. The king burdened the common people with heavy taxes for his luxury. He ruled a very cruel Monarchy.
- ECONOMIC TROUBLE
- The GOVT had engaged in deficit spending. Louis XIV left France deeply in debt. To bridge the gap between the income and expense the GOVT borrowed money from the neighboring countries. Bad harvest in late 1780s increased the prices of FOOD.
- THE OUTBREAK OF REVOLUTION (1789-1791)
- THE THIRD ESTATE DECLARED THEMSELVES TO BE THE NATIONAL ASSEMBLY AND INVITED DELEGATES FROM OTHER TWO ESTATES TO FRAME THE CONSTITUTION. (1789)
- (1789, 14TH JULY) More than 800 Parisians gathered outside the Bastille and demanded for weapons. The Commander of Bastille opened fire on the crowd.
- (1789) THE POLITICAL CRISIS COINCIDED WITH THE FAMINE OF 1789 WHICH MADE THE PEASANTS STARVE AND MADE PEOPLE WITH JOBS SPEND THEIR INCOME ON BREAD.THEN PEASANTS STARTED ATTACKING HOMES AND MANORS OF NOBLES.
- Reforms of the national assembly. (1791)
- POLITICAL Every one equal before the law. Limited the power of the monarchy. Established legislative assembly. Granted all tax paying men to elect the members of the L.A.
- SOCIAL AND ECONOMIC Abolished special privileges of the nobility. Announced an end to feudalism. Called for taxes to be levied according to their pay. Abolished guilds and forbade labor unions.
- RELIGIOUS Declared freedom of religion. The GOVT took over the Church lands. Placed catholic Church under the state control. Provided that the priests and bishops will be elected and receive GOVT salaries.
- FOREIGN REACTION TO THE REFORMS.
- The neighboring countries saw this as the DAWN of a new age for justice and equality. The European nobles and rulers denounced the revolution.
- THE JACOBINS
- They were the radicals who took control of the assembly and called for the election of a new Legislative body called the NATIONAL CONVENTION. Set out to erase all traces of the old order. They made election to abolish Monarchy and made France republic. They seized the lands of Nobles.
- In the early 1793 French was at a war with most of the Europe. This made the peasants and workers against the GOVT. To deal with threats in France the convention created the Committee of public safety.
- THE REIGN OF TERROR (1793-1794)
- This was carried out by Robespierre who was the head of Jacobins. In this 40000 people were executed at the Guillotine who were supporting the rule of Monarchy from July 1793-July 1794.
- (1795) IN REACTION TO THE REIGN OF TERROR THE MODERATES ANOTHER COSTITUTION OF A FIVE-MAN DIRECTORY AND A TWO-HOUSE LEGISLATIVE.
- WOMEN IN REVOLUTION
- Women of all classes participated from the very beginning. Many women were disappointed when the declaration of rights of man did not grant anything equal for women. Women did have some rights but not after Napolean gained power.
- By 1799,France has dramatically changed and brought many changes is daily life: The introduction of tricolor. Titles were eliminated. Elaborate fashions were replaced by practical clothes. People developed a strong sense of national identity.
- THEN LATER CAME THE NAPOLEANS POWER FROM 1804-1814 AND TOOK AN 100 DAYS EXTENTENSION IN 1815.