Face To Face With Malaysia
Embed Size (px)
Transcript of Face To Face With Malaysia
- 1. Face to Face with M a l a y s i a An Analysis of the Malaysian Reality Tricia Yeoh (with Alwyn Lau) November 2007~June2008
- 2. NEP Lina Joy Hindu Temples Demolition Orang Asli Islamic vs. Secular State Independence of Judiciary University Rankings Indian Rights Free & Fair Elections Migrant Workers Police Abuse Malay supremacy ISA OSA UUCA PPPA Sedition Act Media Freedom Falling FDI
- 3. The Great Malaysian Story Identity:Race+Religion Power Politics NEP Lina Joy Hindu Temples Demolition Orang Asli Islamic vs. Secular State Independence of Judiciary University Rankings Indian Rights Free & Fair Elections Migrant Workers Police Abuse Malay supremacy ISA Official Secrets Act UUCA PPPA Sedition Act Media Freedom Falling FDI
- 4. SO HOW?
- 5. The Great Malaysian Vision Legislature Executive Judiciary Independent Media Active Civil Society Strong Opposition Legislature Executive Judiciary Independent Media Active Civil Society Strong Opposition Public Policy Research Fair Election Process Parliament Government Judges & Lawyers Good Governance Transparency Accountability Check & Balance Translation of Policies into Action Fair Dealings NO POLITICAL WILL
- 6. March! Sign online petitions! Vote for the opposition! Justice! Change! Make enough $$$ to survive! Leave the country! Malaysia no more hope! For every 10 Malaysians The Government takes care of our needs! Vote BN!
- 7. Jesus died as a political prisoner to bring transformation to life, church and nation. The Government must be TRANSFORMED by Christ to realise His kingdom on earth
- 8. "But Woe to those who make unjust laws , to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless . Isaiah 10:1-2
- 9. "But Peter and John spoke right back, Whether it's right in God's eyes to listen to you rather than to God, you decide. Acts 4:19
- 11. When you pick up the sword, you automatically put down the Cross. The Church must be INDEPENDENT of the Government in being Gods agent on earth. Rev. Gregory Boyd, Baptist Pastor
- 12. The only alternative to the political process is war. We must WORK WITH the Government to ensure a just society. The storm on the outside requires us to ensure there is peace inside. We must make friends in Noahs ark. Dr. Herman Sastri President, Council of Churches Malaysia
- 13. Make the Master proud of you by being good citizens . Respect the authorities, whatever their level; they are God's emissaries for keeping order . It is God's will that by doing good, you might cure the ignorance of the fools who think you're a danger to society. Exercise your freedom by serving God, not by breaking the rules. Treat everyone you meet with dignity. Love your spiritual family. Revere God. Respect the government . (1 Peter 2:13-17)
- 14. "Be a good citizen. All governments are under God. Insofar as there is peace and order, it's God's order. So live responsibly as a citizen. If you're irresponsible to the state, then you're irresponsible with God, and God will hold you responsible. Duly constituted authorities are only a threat if you're trying to get by with something. Decent citizens should have nothing to fear.
- 15. Do you want to be on good terms with the government? Be a responsible citizen and you'll get on just fine, the government working to your advantage. But if you're breaking the rules right and left, watch out. The police aren't there just to be admired in their uniforms. God also has an interest in keeping order, and he uses them to do it .
- 16. "That's why you must live responsibly not just to avoid punishment but also because it's the right way to live. That's also why you pay taxes so that an orderly way of life can be maintained. Fulfill your obligations as a citizen. Pay your taxes, pay your bills, respect your leaders. Romans 13:1-7
- 17. Political Partisanship / Join BN! Apathy / Life goes on Migration / Seek greener pastures Civil Action / NGOs / Help Oppressed, Poor Civil Disobedience / Peaceful Protest Involvement in politics O% 100% Anti-Govt Pro-Govt Political Partisanship / Join PKR! Church as Transformative Agent / Be Jesus hands and feet Civil-Political Influence / Dialogue / Monitoring
- 18. Independent Media Active Civil Society Strong Opposition Public Policy Research Fair Election Process Parliament Government Judges & Lawyers Where do YOU fit in?
- Learn & understand culture of the other
- Speak language of the other
- Build bridges
- Dialogue & Workshops
- Everyday relationships
- NGO work
- Vote wisely
- Right to information
- Write boldly
- Monitor policies closely with statistics
- Watch leaders words
- International pressure groups
- 20. Capturing the Malay(sian) Heartland
- Understanding what makes them tick
- Justice in every language; Justice in every religion
- A common humanity ; A common people
- Removing our own personal prejudices
- Gods heart for transformation of all alike
- 21. Malaysia Will Always Be Your Home (Tricia Yeoh, 13 June 2008)