English – Media unit Film DVD covers/ DVD covers/ DVD cover/ Posters Denotation & Connotation.
Embed Size (px)
Transcript of English – Media unit Film DVD covers/ DVD covers/ DVD cover/ Posters Denotation & Connotation.
English – Media unit
Film DVD covers/ DVD covers/ DVD cover/ Posters
Denotation & Connotation
Conventional shape -portrait
Pixar subsidiary of Disney
Strapline clue to story - play on words/ pun.
Central image? Appealing to audience
No Production credits-Teaser ?
Font -Classy food French? – branding, logo?
Play on words Ratatouille.
Release date- holidays.
Foreground, tiles ?
Knives Knife thrower Kitchen Knives. Heightened /exaggerated perspective focuses on Rat.
Fork - Cheese Stereotypical food of Rat/mouse.
Brand logo, safe family viewing
Dressed in stereotypical Bond
outfitLoose tie - no
longer playing by the rules
Could be anywhere
Rule of thirds evident
Colour – greysignifies
Dark, violent, action packed, serious
Moving towards his target & not to be messed with.
She’s not happy – why ?
Not usual Bond girlS
Serious, not part of his plan
SLooks like she is
passive & not clear if she is a ‘goodie’ or
007 most prominent part of text x3
James Bond iconography
Target audienceDVD cover/ Poster targeted at men &
women – VERY sexy + Alpha male
Enigma = who is he after?
Produced using GCI/Desktop publishing
Barely legible - the film/007 brand sells
itself. Actors not important
Change of image andMuch ‘darker’ themes
Focused on his eyes target
GunMacho, genreJames Bond’s
Rule of three stillapplies
What is theEnigma ?
Bow Tie done up§
Formal timesDinner suit—iconic image
Slightly humorous, not serious
Sequel- next in series?
Sexist?/Sexually explicit—but can get away with it
because they are drawn—today would suggest
adult themed film
DVD cover/ Poster drawn and
painted (no computers)
Sexy, fun, suave.Glamorous, much less dangerous than Daniel
Books were famous & used as a marketing
Target audience = men
USP—new technology at the time
Red § RussiaRussia
Uses Russian symbol
Could symbolise blood, violence & the Red Army!
Billing block § much less info
DirectAppeal to audience which
is maleSurrounded by fantasy
he’s in control
Less sophisticated than modern DVD cover/
Poster—painted & printed
International setting as usual
§action, thrills, genre
Clues to narrative/story
Designing aMovie DVD cover/ Poster/ DVD Cover
TaskImagine that a Movie
Company has asked you to create a DVD cover/ Poster to advertise their latest release. You have got to
Design and Create a Movie DVD cover/ Poster for a movie of your choice.
Before you can begin designing the Movie DVD cover/ Poster you need to do a bit of research.
1. Collect images of DVD covers/ DVD cover/ Posters, you can either find them on the Internet or take photos of them
2. For your DVD covers/ DVD cover/ Posters you have found, say what you like and dislike about them and why.
Now that you know what makes a good DVD cover/ Poster, you need to design one.
3. Think of your favourite Movie or choose a Movie that has just come out.
4. Write down what things you will need to include in your DVD cover/ Poster, remember it is to advertise the movie.
5. Create your Movie DVD cover/ Poster, you can either use the computer or if you want you can draw one using Pencils and Paper.
DeadlineYou will need to hand in:
1. Your Research, this should be your 10/5 DVD covers/ DVD cover/ Posters you collected and a report saying what you liked and disliked about them.
2. List of the Information you want on your own Movie DVD cover/ Poster.
3. Your own Movie DVD cover/ Poster.
Remember you don’t have to do it on a computer, but it would be nice if you did.
• Finally a 400 -700 word report• Your report should evaluate your task in relation
to the aims of the project. • Comment on ideas for promoting and distributing
your film and any issues that your production might raise for it’s audience. E.g. How will it attract that target audience?
• Does your DVD cover/ Poster show the genre/s of the film? What aspects work particularly well? Why?
• What else is there about the film that will attract the audience: Director, Stars, Soundtrack. etc.