Eco Quiz 2014
Embed Size (px)
Quiz themed on environment, wildlife conservation, current news etc.
Transcript of Eco Quiz 2014
- Eco Quiz MCity Quiz Forum & Eco Group Chennai Presents 5 PM, 5th June, 2014 Pisa, B5 (GF) By Parthiben
- Rules Clockwise Round 20 questions Anti-Clockwise Rounds - 15 questions All questions are open on pounce. Quiz Masters decision is final.
- Clockwise Round 20 questions
- 1. Connect When the earth is ravaged and the animals are dying, a new tribe of people shall come unto the earth from many colors, classes, creeds and who by their actions and deeds shall make the earth green again.They will be known as the _______ of the _______. - Old Native American Prophecy
- Warriors of the Rainbow
- 2.Whats being described here ? Step 1: Releases a length of thread in the wind. Step 2: If it feels that the thread has caught onto something, it clinches up the thread and attaches it to its starting point. Step 3: It walks across the bridge thread, releasing a looser thread below it. Step 4: It climbs to the center of the loose thread and lowers itself down on a vertical thread to form a Y-shape. Step 5: It lays more frame threads between various anchor points as it walks along the structural threads. Step 6: It lays out radius threads from the center to the frames. Step 7: It lays more non-stick thread to form an auxiliary spiral, extending from the center to the outer edge. Step 8: It spirals inward, laying out sticky thread and using the auxiliary spiral as reference. Step 9: The result is what we all know. 6
- Construction process of spider web Step 9:The result is a web with non-sticky radius threads, for getting around, and a sticky spiral for catching bugs. 7
- 3. Identify the famous actor X The world's first tiger summit happened in St.Petersburg in the year 2010 which is also year of tiger in Chinese Lunar Calendar. 29th July has been declared as International Tiger Day (GlobalTiger Day ) in the same summit. Russian PM Vladimir Putin has praised X as "a real man" for his persistence in getting to a St.Petersburg to attend the summit. Xs first plane was forced to make an emergency landing after losing an engine, while a second had to stop after encountering strong headwinds. "I would like to thank you for coming despite all the obstacles," Mr Putin told X at the conference. X has donated $1m to help support anti-poaching efforts.
- 4. Identify this Queen of Ranthambore ? ______(T-16), the royal tigress is the most famed in India and is exclusively the pride of Ranthambore National Park. This 17 years old tigress has captivated millions of nature lovers over the years. Not only is she the oldest wild tiger alive in the world, she is the most photographed and starred in several wildlife films. Her legendary fight with 14 foot long crocodile has really created a history and it was the first time since such an encounter has been recorded and filmed.There are half a dozen Facebook pages calling her "The Queen of Ranthambore", "The Lady of the Lake", "The LegendaryTigress". UK-basedTravel Operators forTigers (TOFT) gave her a lifetime achievement award, estimating that she alone brought in over 100 million dollars to Ranthambore in the past decade. A commemorative postal cover was released by the Indian government in 2013. She is named so since she has the fish shaped marking on the left part of her face.
- 5. Identify X We are going to make a documentary about saving the remaining 700 mountain gorillas. I wouldnt say I am like X, but I suppose I am treading where she trod. - Anna Friel Clue: Next Slide
- Dian Fossey Fossey studied mountain gorillas in these regions for 18 years before she was murdered by poachers in 1985.
- 6. Identify the National Carrier ? Clue: Next Slide
- Papua New Guinea
- 7. Why are they called so ? The Megapodes are unique birds that lives on mainly in Australia, Philippines, Indonesia, and in other Pacific Islands.They are referred to as i)Thermometer birds ii)Mound builders iii)Incubator birds
- They are the only known birds which use heat sources especially volcanic heat/geothermal activity/ sun-warmed beaches/rotting vegetation, other than the body, to incubate their eggs.
- 8. Connect 20 1 2
- Cabinet Meetings, 2010 21 1. Underwater Cabinet Meetings The government of the Maldives has held a cabinet meeting underwater to highlight the threat of global warming to the low-lying Indian Ocean nation. 2.Worlds Highest Cabinet Meetings The Nepali Government's historical high-altitude cabinet meeting was held on the base camp at Kalapatthar(foothills of Mt. Everest) to draw the global community's attention toward climate change and its impact on melting Himalayas.
- 9.Why the number 1600 was chosen? French sculptor Paulo Grangeon's long-running traveling exhibit, Pandas onTour, features 1600 papier-mch pandas. Launched in 2008 in collaboration with theWorld Wildlife Fund, Grangeons project has traveled to landmarks in more than 20 countries, including the EiffelTower. This June marks its first foray into Hong Kong, where the pandas will visit such hotspots as Hong Kong International Airport and theTianTan Buddha on Lantau Island. Pic: Next Slide
- Only 1,600 pandas exists in the wild A 4-year survey was completed in 2004 and counted 1,600 pandas in the wild. After being asked by theWWF, Grangenon created the 1,600 pandas from recycled paper - to represent the actual amount of real pandas left in the world.
- 10. FITB The United States Marines have their bulldogs and the Army has their mules, but the Norwegian Royal Guard has a mascot a little more accustomed to colder temperatures: Nils Olav, a ________who is also a Colonel-in-Chief and a knight. Nils Olav has been an honorary member and mascot of the Norwegian King's Guard since 1972. Over the years, he has been promoted through the ranks after being adopted by Royal Guard who visited the zoo.
- King Penguin
- 11. i) Ad about ii) Identify the advertiser.
- Earth Day, Durex
- 12. X is an extremely remote, tiny island in the Andaman and Nicobar Island group, and is home to about 300 X hornbills, a species that is found nowhere else in the world. The Nature Conservation Foundation (NCF) consisting of a number of wildlife scientists including Divya Mudappa andTR Shankar Raman have highlighted that : "The X Hornbill is found as a single population of less than some 350 birds endemic to and exclusively found on the tiny (681 ha) island of X.This small and unique island harbors the world's only population of this hornbill species. Studies by the SalimAli Centre for Ornithology and Natural History (SACON), Coimbatore, suggested that this number represented a decline from around 400 individuals earlier.The small and possibly declining population of this species requires highest protection," they said in the letter. In 2012, the Ministry of Environment & Forests (MoEF) has rejected the proposal by the Indian Coast Guard to erect a RADAR installation on X Island in the Andamans. Pic: Next Slide
- Narcondam Hornbill
- 13. How these artworks are made ? Every year these artworks are showcased during the month of January in Rajasthan. Some of these artwork can take up to three years to create.
- Hair Art at Bikaner Camel Festival
- 14. Complete the list Nilgiri, 2000 Gulf of Mannar, 2001 Sunderban, 2001 Nanda Devi, 2004 Nokrek, 2009 Pachmarhi, 2009 Similipal, 2009 Achanakmar-Amarkantak, 2012 ____________ , 2013
- Great Nicobar Biosphere Reserves of India
- 15. X IntoThe Unknown X geared up for this summer'sWorld Cup in Brazil, by exploring the country's Amazon for a special BBC documentary. In this special 1x90 documentary film, X flies 5,000 miles from London to South America, staying briefly in Rio