Embed Size (px)
Transcript of Digital Camcorder
- 1. Computer Applications I 2.04 - Use miniature mobile storage media .
2. Miniature Mobile Storage Devices
- Miniature mobile storage devices are becoming increasingly popular because a wide variety of digital devices have been developed over recent years that require temporary data storage.
- For example, digital and video cameras require vast amounts of storage space for audio and video files and photographs that can be transferred to a computer system or to a proprietary printer.
- Additionally, computer users need to move large data files from one device to another.
- Consequently, the floppy disks, zip disks, and other magnetic media of the past are quickly being replaced with miniature storage devices using flash storage technology.
- Pocket PCs and PDAs use Compact Flash or SD Media for extra storage space for programs and data files.
Pocket PCs and PDAs 4.
- Digital and video cameras use Compact Flash, Memory Sticks, xD Picture Cards, Trans Flash, Smart Media, or SD Media for storage.
Digital and Video Cameras 5.
- Digital photo printers accept Compact Flash, Memory Sticks, xD Picture Cards, Trans Flash, Smart Media, or SD Media for input directly into the printer.
Digital Photo Printers 6.
- A wide variety of miniature mobile storage media has been developed, and new products are constantly being developed that are smaller in size yet provide increasingly greater storage capacity.
- Storage capacity ranges from 256MB to 8 GB.
- Note that each type has a unique size and shape!
Miniature Mobile Storage Media 7.
- Smart Media One of the first miniature media devices developed.
- It has the thickness of a credit card and can be identified by its square shape and the vertical gold bars across the top.
- It is approximately 1 square in size.
Smart Media 8.
- Compact Flash also one of the earlier media that was developed.
- It was initially used in PDAs and digital cameras.It is still very popular.
- It is approximately 1 square also, but much thicker than Smart Media.
- Notice that it is wider than it is tall.
Compact Flash 9.
- SD Mediais smaller in size than Compact Flash. It is also very popular.
- Notice that it is taller than it is wide.
SD orS ecureD igital 10.
- Mini SD Mediais smaller in size than regular SD media. It is also gaining in popularity.
- Notice that it is taller than it is wide and also it is shown with an adapter for use in regular SD media devices.
- Notice the distinct notch in the top left corner.
Mini SD 11.
- TheMemory Stickwas developed by Sony for use in Sony digital cameras and video cameras.
- It is approximately wide by about 2 tall.
Memory Stick 12.
- TheMemory Stick Pro replaces the original memory stick.
- It is approximately wide by about 2 tall.
- Notice the unique notch in its top left side.
Memory Pro 13.
- TheMemory Stick Duo Prois only about half as tall as the original memory stick.
Memory Stick Duo Pro 14.
- One of the more recent media types is thexD Picture Card.
- Note that it has a slightly curved bottom that makes it distinct in appearance.
xD Picture Card 15.
- Another recent media type isTransFlash.
- Note that its shape is uniquely identified by the jagged bottom edge.
Miniature Mobile Storage Media 16.
- One of the most popular flash memory devices isUSB Flash Memory .
- Because it has a USB connector,it is the most universalin use for transferring data among computers.
- It is also know as ajump drive, pen drive , and various other names given to it by manufacturers.
USB Flash Memory (Drives) 17.
- Because miniature mobile storage is so popular and necessary for the gigantic data files being used today, many tablet computers and laptop computers come with amultiple media reader optionwhich is now taking the place of the A drive.
Miniature Storage Media Readers This tablet PC is reading SD Media. 18.
- This tablet is downloading photographs from a Memory Stick.
Miniature Storage Media Readers 19.
- If you dont have a built in reader for the miniature media, adapters are available that plug into the USB port of any modern computer.
Miniature Storage Media Readers 20.
- The USB adapter shown on the right will accept Compact Flash media so that it can be used in any computer with a USB port.
Miniature Media Reader Adapters The USB adapter shown on the left will accept SD media so that it can be used in any computer with a USB port. 21.
- The PCMII adapter for laptops shown on the right will accept several media devices so that the laptop computer can read them.
Miniature Media Reader Adapters 22.
- The multiple media reader shown on the right is perhaps themost universal readerbecause it can be plugged into any computer that has a USB port and it reads a variety of the media formats that are available today.
Miniature Storage Media Readers 23.
- Smart Media
- SD Media
- Memory Stick
- Compact Flash
- Mini SD Media
- Memory Stick Pro
- Memory Stick Duo Pro
- xD Picture Card
- USB Flash Memory
- Jump drive
- Pen drive
- Test Taking Tip: Use Flash Cards when learning to identify the media by their distinct sizes and shapes.
Summary of Storage Devices