Embed Size (px)
Transcript of “Deadly Sins”
1. Capitalize proper nouns
• If you are talking about a specific person or location, capitalize it!
• EX> I live in Fort Bragg, next to the Pacific Ocean. (This is a specific town by one particular ocean!)
• Also remember to capitalize the beginning of sentences!
2. Use apostrophes with contractions
• Did not = didn’t• The apostrophe
MUST appear exactly where the letters are omitted
• O’clock = on the clock, so the apostrophe replaces n, t, h, AND e!
• There = a place• Their = they own it• They’re = they are
4. Its, it’s
• It’s = contraction: it + is = it’s
• Ex: It’s good to be alive.
• Its = possessive, showing ownership or belonging.
• Ex: The bird built its nest. It’s not a very big one.
5. To, Two, Too
• To = connector• Two = the number• Too = Also; OR, an
extreme degree of something
• I went to her party, but I was too late for the two cakes.
6. A LOT = 2 words!
• TWO WORDS, not ONE!!
• “There’s a lot of noise in the cafeteria. They’re testing their emergency system.”
7. HEADINGS must include:
• YOUR NAME• MY NAME• CLASS AND
PERIOD • DATE in very
special MLA format
English 9 P1(or 1◦)
22 August 2011
Eight Sins Notes
No Text Speak
• Always spell out words correctly
• Its rlly annyng 2 hv 2 figr out wht ur tryng 2 sy.